BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Reason for asking I just finished doing an s62 swap in my e38 740i, the m62 motor I took out of my 740i had over 350k miles on it and still had plenty more to go never smoked or burn oil. I wanted to do the conversion for a six speed and to also have an M motor in my 740i. I know I could have purchase an e39 M5 and call it a day but the e39 does not have as much room and comfort as the 740i. I normally do a lot of cross country highway driving minimal next to no local driving 95% highway and wanted to find out if the s62 motor will work well under these driving conditions. I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New York</st1:place></st1:State> and frequent Florida Canada and many other states on a regular basis’s. Only use recommended oil and change my car oil at least once per month pending on my commute.
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Mask

Attachments

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
does fine, even a few supercharged M5s have been on X-country journeys.

i think highway (steady state) driving is about as easy as one can be on a car that's moving.

share more on your swap!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up the motor with 52k on it, planning on doing an inspection 3 in a month or two to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swap done by impressive auto center in queens, I have lots of pics and video, curently i am at work and the files are not on my work PC. will post photos as soon as i get the chance. from stock 282hp to 400+ with the added 6 speed gear box and 3:64 ratio LSD its a world of difference i can say for what it is. A sleeper i have been told by many, the car being a 740i

Attachments

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
who swapped it? what complications did you run into? any custom fabrication involved?

EDIT: you already answered...Thanks!

did you use the M5 diff, or the E32 LSD?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Nice swap,should be easy plug and play,as the M62 has exactly the same engine mounting points and exhaust manifolds as the S62..

Guess you had to go for custom gearbox mount and prop-shaft...

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
headers may be different, no? they are designed to fit the chassis as much as they are the cylinder head.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
headers may be different, no? they are designed to fit the chassis as much as they are the cylinder head.

The S62 and M62 exhaust manifolds are exactly the same part number,hence you can bolt the E38 M62 manifolds to the S62..

The S62 Engine mounts have a marking with E38/E39 on them and are used for both cars V8 versions..

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Havasusteve03beast drove his ESS supercharged Beast from Rancho Cucamonga, CA to Columbus, Ohio to attend Timmayfest last year. He said it was one hell of a nice drive.....

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Is your hood open?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That photo the hood was crack open, will upload photo of engine bay. I take it now that long distance driving is not an issue.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey mask whats up see you got the sleeper up on the board working on the 2jz conversion we got to take a run to Fl show you how we do it 120 and better
The 840 conversion with s62 should be ready for October

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nice swap,should be easy plug and play,as the M62 has exactly the same engine mounting points and exhaust manifolds as the S62..

Guess you had to go for custom gearbox mount and prop-shaft...
Custom shaft, OEM gear box mount. M62 CAT and Headers are different from S62, i reused S62 CAT and Headers & SS X-Pipe fits perfect under the E38 with eisenmann exhaust

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
My 740i is 6/96 production car year 97, oxygen sensors for the S62 cats would not fit on my M62 CATS, also the S62 Cats are larger than the CATS i took off the car.
I was refering to the manifolds,aka headers,they are all the same on the V8s...

I know the cats are different,but hence the manifolds are all the same,it is easy bolt on...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts