BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Reason for asking I just finished doing an s62 swap in my e38 740i, the m62 motor I took out of my 740i had over 350k miles on it and still had plenty more to go never smoked or burn oil. I wanted to do the conversion for a six speed and to also have an M motor in my 740i. I know I could have purchase an e39 M5 and call it a day but the e39 does not have as much room and comfort as the 740i. I normally do a lot of cross country highway driving minimal next to no local driving 95% highway and wanted to find out if the s62 motor will work well under these driving conditions. I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New York</st1:place></st1:State> and frequent Florida Canada and many other states on a regular basis’s. Only use recommended oil and change my car oil at least once per month pending on my commute.
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Mask

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
I drove from San Francisco to Austin Texas in three days. I only stopped at night because I didn't want to hit a critter at the speeds I was driving. It's mostly about changing oil/fluid religiously and checking tire pressures, and then not eating food that will stop you up, because you are sitting all the time. You have to get vertical and do some ambulatory functions to keep your back from going out.

The whole BMW mindset begins with the Autobahn, so I would say that as a rule, any BMW motor is meant for long hauls, high miles, and endurance runs with regard to their engines. The engines are not built like Japenese motors, which are designed to be practically ignored and abused for their lifetimes. BMW's require monitoring and attention...which is fine with me once you accept that.

IMHO

·
Registered
349 Posts
For a couple years while on a work assignment my 95 M5 was doing quarterly 1500 mile round trips from Cinci to Dallas and back. If it could talk it would say, "I loved every minute of it." I know I sure did.

I will say that for the week or two following such trips the S38 always idled smoother and had more pull below 3k as compared to when its just been driven around town and 30 minute jaunts on the freeway in DFW. YMMV

·
10,458 Posts
If you are asking how long will an s62 last, you should probably ask on the e39 board. That said, there are a couple of guys over there who have >200k miles on their cars. However, the S62 does not seem to be a durable from a long term/high milage standpoint as the M62, probably due to it's increased revs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts