BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm moving at the end of the month to Nevada with my 124K mile stock E39 M5 and I wanted to check with fellow E39 M5 owners about how the beast handles both city/highway driving in extreme ambient outside temperatures above 110F+... I just refresh all fluids so I'm hoping I'll be fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't have any overheating issues at all in Phoenix. It seems to handle it very well and the air-conditioning is better than all of my other cars.

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I agree. Having driven in 110+ degrees across highways and city driving in CA/NV/AZ, the car doesnt seem to mind and stays cool. I have never had good luck with AC in any of my cars over the past 20 years. Even cars bought new, I can never seem to get a car that blows ice cold air like I am used to with rental cars when I travel for work. This includes the M5. Its nice a cool on any regular day, but if the outside temp hits 95+, I know I will not get the cabin cool. But I know that is not the case for all e39 M5's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine stays at 210 or just below.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It runs fine, but noticeably slower with all that heat soaking. At least that's what I have experienced in extremely hot summer days last summer.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
AC is the best of any "modern" R134a car I've had. All 4 E39's (1 540i & 3 M5's) I've owned have colder A/C than any other car I've had recently. I live in Texas BTW.

Only real heat issue I had was last year when it got above 100°F I noticed it was a little sluggish on response or pull near the redline or upper RPM ranges. One day got an SES light for bank 1 pre cat O2 sensor, during a high load situation on a 104°F ambient July day. (2nd gear burn out/donuts, killing off old tires) Didn't happen again the rest of the summer. Replaced pre O2's this spring and is much better on the top end rpm range.

·
Registered
470 Posts
100F in Austin , TX everyday and no problems at all. Just pay attention if you do run hot. Run secret menu #7... I hit 90C easily in the heat but no issues.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Window tint is a big help as well. I initially found the E39 to be very uncomfortable in the extreme heat without window tint, due to the greenhouse effect. Now that the windows are tinted, the automatic climate control keeps the interior very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Window tint is a big help as well. I initially found the E39 to be very uncomfortable in the extreme heat without window tint, due to the greenhouse effect. Now that the windows are tinted, the automatic climate control keeps the interior very comfortable.
+1 yeah it definitely does help.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Its no problem as far as the mechanicals go

But dont plan on leaving the car parked outside. Make sure its garaged as often as possible and if you need to go somewhere all day and dont have covered parking (such as a workplace) then maybe consider getting a second car. The sun and heat will destroy your interior before you can even ask "whats a good leather conditioner"

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Heat soak can be an issue with the S62 though with real high temps.

Edit: This was mentioned already zzzzzzzzzz . Other than, this, the car will run just fine.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I wouldn't worry, my oil temp gauge fluctuates a whole needles' width from the 210 mark - you are still well within the operating range. Plus, if you're using the right oil....oh wait, I won't go there, lol!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I generally don't drive hard in the summer, but at most I've seen the oil temp a hair right of 210 but it's usually on the nose or to the left. The heatsoak out here is insane and it will feel like a completely different car in the winter. I'll have an IATS relocation soon so I'm curious if that will help a bit in the summer months. You will appreciate the car's nuclear powered AC. On long desert trips once the temperature stabilizes I even have it turned down pretty low. Tint your windows asap. Use a sunshade when outside even if tinted.

Are you moving to Vegas? You can meet up with batman7knight and I.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I generally don't drive hard in the summer, but at most I've seen the oil temp a hair right of 210 but it's usually on the nose or to the left. The heatsoak out here is insane and it will feel like a completely different car in the winter. I'll have an IATS relocation soon so I'm curious if that will help a bit in the summer months. You will appreciate the car's nuclear powered AC. On long desert trips once the temperature stabilizes I even have it turned down pretty low. Tint your windows asap. Use a sunshade when outside even if tinted.

Are you moving to Vegas? You can meet up with batman7knight and I.
Hey there, I'm moving in a week to Vegas and would love to meet up with you guys, you can email me at [email protected]

I'm also starting a Euro club which I'm posting more details in the USA West forum.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Anything over 90 degrees isn't ideal for these cars and any car for that matter.

Assuming everything works (clutch fan, water pump, etc.)
Will it drive for hours without an issue -> Yes
Can you run A/C -> Yes
Can you expect performance -> No
Will you get all the pony's out on a hot day -> No

Me think.... In a hot climate weather its better to run more than 50% distilled water (like 70/30 or 80/20) with water wetter additive. If I am correct, it takes longer to cool the coolant than water cause its thicker as a solution, but again water gets hotter faster and can evaporate. I dont have any data to show this and dont want to walk down the science behind water and coolant, because this is not what this thread is about. Just personal experience living in the desert.

Also, that "heat exchanger" is doing more damage then some think. (If you live on colder states, this does not apply to you). It creates additional heat under the plenum without much of a benefit. I will be removing mine before the beginning of next summer. Ohh wait.. its always summer..:haha:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey there, I'm moving in a week to Vegas and would love to meet up with you guys, you can email me at [email protected]

I'm also starting a Euro club which I'm posting more details in the USA West forum.
There's some sort of club out here called Eurosquad that goes to the trop in n out weds nights. I'm not 100% sure on what they do, but we've been a time or two to see what's up. I think it's generic euro but I only ever recall seeing BMWs and the odd Porsche.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts