BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the 2007+ 335i compare to the E39? I know it is giving up 100 HP but seems like the 0-60 times and 1/4 are fairly close? Am sure it brakes and handles well compared to the E39 as well?

Has one one driven the two and can comment?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
335i is a pretty nice car,easy to mod as well.

Stock it lacks a LSD(which it really would need to be more fun to drive),the m-sport suspension is pretty harsh compared to the stock M5.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont want to open up a can of worms as this is an e39 forum but thinking that one of these might be something to look at. Could get a 2007 with under 50K miles for about 24K or so give or take a few thousand.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have driven stock 335i Touring and it definitely has it's pros and cons. Lovely engine with lot of potential. Perhaps a bit silky engine character as stock if you have used to raw power of S62. Put JB3 in and it's like a totally different car after that and given a whole lot more performance. E90-E93 definitely lacks in finesse compared to E39 M5. 335i really needs that LSD especially when tuned. Have also driven new Z4 35iS with new software and few extra horses (around 340hp) and already that extra 30hp made big difference in engine character but didn't like that stupid "booooh" exhaust note.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I had an '07 335 coupe before the M5 and it was a terrific car with many fine attributes. Not having an LSD didn't hurt my performance much. With just a piggyback tune and dual cone intake I ran 12.33 @116+ on street tires. They can be very fast for little $$$ but lack the muscle car sounds and feel that I enjoy from my E39. Earlier today I stopped by a local shop and watched a bunch of guys dyno. One 335 with full bolt-ons + meth put down 410whp and 450wtq. That is serious power from those litte tiny turbos! Those N54's are smooth as silk too. Drive a properly modded one and you will be impressed.

Here's a shot of the old girl in action!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
What is a piggy back tune? 12.33 in just insane!!!
A piggy back tune is a module that connects to the ECU and intercepts signals, replacing them with more sinister ones! :hihi: There are several excellent tuners that are constantly improving their product. It's a very competitive market. One nice thing about tuning the N54 engine is that these PB tunes are not vehicle specific, meaning you can buy a used one for a couple hundred bucks and gain huge hp and tq. And they can be installed in minutes!

As far as the 12.33, I was one of the fastest "tune only" 335's for a time. Now dozens of them are in the 11's! :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
my friend has a 335 coupe. In my opinion the 33 has better handling, exhaust is on the high note. He hasnt modded it yet. I cant stand sitting in those cramped back seats....

·
Registered
214 Posts
A piggy back tune is a module that connects to the ECU and intercepts signals, replacing them with more sinister ones! :hihi: There are several excellent tuners that are constantly improving their product. It's a very competitive market. One nice thing about tuning the N54 engine is that these PB tunes are not vehicle specific, meaning you can buy a used one for a couple hundred bucks and gain huge hp and tq. And they can be installed in minutes!

As far as the 12.33, I was one of the fastest "tune only" 335's for a time. Now dozens of them are in the 11's! :(

Vishnu?

·
Registered
82 Posts
How much do those modules run? I assume expensive as nothing on these cars in terms of mods are cheap?
My friend with a 335 paid 1000 bucks for the vishnu... my friend with a 135i got a cheaper plug in maf thing for 130 bucks which does what it needs to for $130 just not as aggressive as the vishnu. But they still aren't Ms. The only thing they have on the e39 m5 is that they can still be CPOed. I'd rather drive my car than a stock 335, but a chipped one... i dunno... that's a whole new "beast"

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Yup. I was one of the early adopters and Shiv, the owner of Vishnu, flew into to town and tuned about 10 cars in one day. Best performance bang for the buck ever.

blackwagon, I agree it's not an ///M. To me that 335 was a nice car that performed well. My M5 is a passion!

·
Registered
410 Posts
A great place for 335i research is on the M3 forums. I go there every once in awhile to read the M3 vs 335i fights lol. You'll find that the 335i's can be made to go M fast with a little $$$, but as the fanboy's keep defending...it's not an M.

As far as 335 vs E39 M5, stock vs stock they're comparable in performance. Interior is nice and although some don't like the newer styling, I do. Modded 335i will walk an E39 M5. But...

Spend $30k on a solid M5 (20k for car and 10k on ESS SC) and you've got the best of all worlds. Styling, performance (low 12's with 550 bhp), V8 grunt and sound, and the M5 will also turn alot more heads and start conversations at gas stations and parking lots than the 335.

It's really about your personality. If you want a smaller fast car there are alot of other choices as well...STI, WRX, M3, etc. Each one will catagorize you into a stereotype. I'm very happy with my stereotype. :wroom:

·
Registered
431 Posts
M's are special, 335i great car but reminds me of my 540i, in it's day very capable but now worth nothing as no one bothers to maintain them when they age as they don't hold any great appeal.
Not that an old M is worth much either...
335i stock is significantly slower than an E90 M3 around a track. V8 M3 driven by an average person (me) is all over a 335i driven by BMW instructors at a couple of driver training courses I've been to.
335i easily tuned but then unreliable as all over boosted turbos end up with a shorter (and harder) life.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Over here the 335i can reach 370bhp with a remap alone! Will be looking to replace the wifes 320i with one later this year. Of course I will be using it on the odd occasion:noSMG:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup. I was one of the early adopters and Shiv, the owner of Vishnu, flew into to town and tuned about 10 cars in one day. Best performance bang for the buck ever.

blackwagon, I agree it's not an ///M. To me that 335 was a nice car that performed well. My M5 is a passion!
I had a custom tune by Shiv on my Evo VIII before I went to the M5. He is a very capable tuner. It is exactly what I was considering when I was shopping 335s.

My experience with 335s was only on run flats - on which it felt rather numb. I would have to agree the M5, or even the M3, is a more involved driving experience. At altitude a tuned 335 will run away from me -- although not by much :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts