BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 M5 build date of 03/03. My dealer is telling me I do not have an antenna for a cell phone despite the fact that the car is pre-wired for a cell phone. I have lost confidence in the service department becuase at first they tried to tell me that the antenna was connected via the bluetooth connection. After some research the service advisor admitted that the antenna had to be hard wired but that I do not have one in my car and they need to "install" it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
10,455 Posts
There could be 2 antenna's, neither of which would be factory installed. The 'basic' cell phone antenna is mounted on the rear window, if it's there you'd see a little stub antenna. This would be if you had the cpt 8000. (actually there is a third, which mounts inside of the bumper, and might be just for the bt system, as an external antenna, not completely sure about that one though)

the bluetooth antenna is typically mounted under the center console, and is part of the bt kit, so unless you've already had the bt kit installed, you don't have that either. The BT antenna is for your bt phone to communicate with your bt module in the trunk, which interfaces the phone with the nav screen and steering wheel controls, and voice recognition. In either case, the wiring should already be there. For the rear window antenna, the wire is open in the trunk over by the audio stack to plug into the phone (or bluetooth) module. The antenna end is up under the headliner, just to the pass side of center.

But wait, there's more: If you go with BT and use the 'snap in adapter' to plug the phone into the center console, you need to either have the rear window mount antenna, or 'remove' the snap in adaptor's phone/antenna connection. In other words, when you plug a bt phone into the snap in adapter, it will charge and it also disables the cell phones internal antenna. If you take out the antenna connection, you can still use the snap in adaptor to charge the phone, and lock it in place so it isn't sliding around, and you don't need the rear window antenna. I added the antenna, but i think the frequency is slightly different for a typical GSM BT phone, and the 'standard' cpt 8000 tdma/cdma type phone. Before i removed (i.e. broke off) the antenna connector, i would loose a couple of bars of signal strength compared to my phone sitting elsewhere in the car. I do like the idea of it being charged, and locked into the center console. Sorry for the long reply... Hope this helps.
Mike

Tom219 said:
I have a 2003 M5 build date of 03/03. My dealer is telling me I do not have an antenna for a cell phone despite the fact that the car is pre-wired for a cell phone. I have lost confidence in the service department becuase at first they tried to tell me that the antenna was connected via the bluetooth connection. After some research the service advisor admitted that the antenna had to be hard wired but that I do not have one in my car and they need to "install" it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have the CPT8000 in my '01 (10/00 build), and it shares the internal NAV antenna. It does not have an external antenna. I had the same phone in my '01 540, and I had slightly better reception in that car because it had an external antenna on the rear window. My guess is that either antenna option is also available to you with an '03. I would not have thought that bluetooth capability would make a difference one way or another re the antenna -- bluetooth is simply an interface between the phone and MID, as I understand it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your reply is exactly what my situation is. I have the snap in for a V600 and I loose receiption if I use it. I thought I read that an other member of this group said that the M5 has an antenna in the rear bumper? I have found an uncomnnected female FAKRA connector next to the ULF Control Module which I think might be from the snap in tray or an antenna.

Did you remove the antenna pin from your snap in?

mottati said:
There could be 2 antenna's, neither of which would be factory installed. The 'basic' cell phone antenna is mounted on the rear window, if it's there you'd see a little stub antenna. This would be if you had the cpt 8000.

the bluetooth antenna is typically mounted under the center console, and is part of the bt kit, so unless you've already had the bt kit installed, you don't have that either. In either case, the wiring should already be there. For the rear window antenna, the wire is open in the trunk over by the audio stack to plug into the phone (or bluetooth) module. The antenna end is up under the headliner, just to the pass side of center.

But wait, there's more: If you go with BT and use the 'snap in adapter' to plug the phone into the center console, you need to either have the rear window mount antenna, or 'remove' the snap in adaptor's phone/antenna connection. In other words, when you plug a bt phone into the snap in adapter, it will charge and it also disables the cell phones internal antenna. If you take out the antenna connection, you can still use the snap in adaptor to charge the phone, and lock it in place so it isn't sliding around, and you don't need the rear window antenna. I added the antenna, but i think the frequency is slightly different for a typical GSM BT phone, and the 'standard' cpt 8000 tdma/cdma type phone. Before i removed (i.e. broke off) the antenna connector, i would loose a couple of bars of signal strength compared to my phone sitting elsewhere in the car. I do like the idea of it being charged, and locked into the center console. Sorry for the long reply... Hope this helps.
Mike

·
10,455 Posts
EdP said:
I have the CPT8000 in my '01 (10/00 build), and it shares the internal NAV antenna. It does not have an external antenna. I had the same phone in my '01 540, and I had slightly better reception in that car because it had an external antenna on the rear window. My guess is that either antenna option is also available to you with an '03. I would not have thought that bluetooth capability would make a difference one way or another re the antenna -- bluetooth is simply an interface between the phone and MID, as I understand it.

wow, never heard of the phone using the gps antenna. You learn something new every day!

ANd you;re correct, BT is just an interface between the phone and the car's system.
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that the bluetooth is just an interface. The service manager did not think so which makes me suspecious about them wanting to install an antenna. May be installing an antenna would solve the problem but I want to make sure it is needed first. They are now telling me something about option S644 which they say I do not have but they are researching it some more.

EdP said:

·
Registered
463 Posts
mottati said:
wow, never heard of the phone using the gps antenna. You learn something new every day!
That makes two of us. I think these issues test the BMW techs too, now that I think about my install. But fortunately, everything worked out.

·
10,455 Posts
Tom219 said:
Your reply is exactly what my situation is. I have the snap in for a V600 and I loose receiption if I use it. I thought I read that an other member of this group said that the M5 has an antenna in the rear bumper? I have found an uncomnnected female FAKRA connector next to the ULF Control Module which I think might be from the snap in tray or an antenna.

Did you remove the antenna pin from your snap in?
Yes, i did remove the antenna pin from my snap in, just yesterday actually, while waiting to pick up my son at school. reception is much better.

I think the bumper antenna is an option, i don't think it's in there (and I thought it was in the front bumper?). I do think the extra fakra connector is the antenna cable. If you sit in the pass side, rear seat, and pull back the rear corner of the headliner, you'll likely find the antenna cable's other end.
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike for your help. Where do you think the antenna cable terminates that runs from the eject box tray/snap in? In the installation manuals I got off of www.bimmernav.com it shows how the antenna cable is connected to the tray/snap in but does not show where it termnates.

·
10,455 Posts
Tom219 said:
Thanks Mike for your help. Where do you think the antenna cable terminates that runs from the eject box tray/snap in? In the installation manuals I got off of www.bimmernav.com it shows how the antenna cable is connected to the tray/snap in but does not show where it termnates.
It does terminate in the trunk over by the cd changer. THat might be the extra fakra connector in there, on my car, the antenna cable was a coax type cable, the (but the fakra didn't exist there, since my car is a 2000).
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts