BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black plastic grill inserts from the front of the car? ......you know the plastic head/highbeam light surround that extends to Kidney centre grills :M5eyes:

I know there are two screws that fasten the top lip to the front slam panel just beneath the bonnet front lip.......but how do you detach them from the lower edge?

cheers for the help......i just want to re-secure the metal trim below the grill where it meets the front wing.....it's slightly proud on the one side ouich

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Scorchio said:
The black plastic grill inserts from the front of the car? ......you know the plastic head/highbeam light surround that extends to Kidney centre grills :M5eyes:

I know there are two screws that fasten the top lip to the front slam panel just beneath the bonnet front lip.......but how do you detach them from the lower edge?

cheers for the help......i just want to re-secure the metal trim below the grill where it meets the front wing.....it's slightly proud on the one side ouich
It's really fiddly, and I'm afraid I broke clips when I removed mine. Apparently there's a way to insert a long screwdriver down a hole in the slam panel to release the clips, but basically the kidney grilles clip to the black grilles and hold the lot together :-(

The metal body coloured panel under the lights (above the bumper) clips to the car and is effectively clipped in place by inacessible clips. Bastard.
I removed mine by fairly brutally pulling it away with a plastic lever at the edge (under the wing), then giving it a good pull.

Mine was proud like yours. I assume this is because previous mechanics have had to remove it using the same method. To fix that, I bent it back to shape before refitting, and now it looks fine.

Unfortunately, it's one of those jobs that's difficult to explain until you see the parts separated in front of you - at which point it's all crystal clear.

Mine's facelifted though, it might be different (hopefully easier) for yours!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for that,

i couldn't make out the clips from either the front or looking down from above once i'd loosened the top screws (it is rather 'busy' around the off-side),so you are probably spot on with what you have said........i will have a look with my mag-lite when i'm at work......and where i've got some decent tools!

Thanks for your help!
:cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
p.s. about the metal body coloured trim.....i've probably got a clip missing there then......so i may cheat by inserting some rubber under the indicator for a 'wedge' fit......other than that the car only needs an alloy refurb........:wroom:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Scorchio said:
p.s. about the metal body coloured trim.....i've probably got a clip missing there then......so i may cheat by inserting some rubber under the indicator for a 'wedge' fit......other than that the car only needs an alloy refurb........:wroom:
Hi!!!
the whole procedure becomes much easier if you take of the front bumper(very easy job-5min)-take of the black bumper trims (pry up the end at the reg.plate and loosen the trim to the corner bend. Then you draw the plastic trim towards the front end of the car so the side part of it clips of) this on both sides. Then you see 4 big nuts (21mm i believe) you just screw these of and pull out the whole bumper(mind the wires to the fog lamps and temp sensor).

This way you can see how the metal strip is attached to the body (there`s a clip/screw at each end to the front wing if I remember right and plastic clips that hold the metal part to the body. comes of quite easily.

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
141 Posts
Scorchio said:

Here's the procedure from my website:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7128/M5/EllipsoidConversion.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice guide Stan!

·
Registered
106 Posts
That guide is sweet Stan. I wish all the "how to" articles were so well done. Great pictures and descriptions. Now I can remove my grille and repaint it. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts