BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the owners comments and rankings on the Tirerack website, the Conti Sportcontact 2 tires are not the greatest. What has everyone's experience been with the tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
I haven't driven them yet, but judging from Stig's track performance on Top Gear they appear to offer prodigious quantities of grip.

Best regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Wolverine said:
Looking at the owners comments and rankings on the Tirerack website, the Conti Sportcontact 2 tires are not the greatest. What has everyone's experience been with the tires?
I love the conti tyres, it'll skid when I want it to and it'll grip when I want it to. Maybe other tyres aren't made for drifting but mostly on gripping like the P-zero pirelli ones, but isn't fun with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
i had the conti sportcontacts on my volvo, i didnt like them very much.
Now i am on Bridgestone Potenza RE050, i like them much better, more grip, less noise!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
I didn't like the Conti Sportcontact 2 tires, now I've the Pirelli P Zero Corsa and my comment....... endless Grip :15: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Im disappoonted that we only have 4 tire choices. Anyone think that list expands?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Something to keep in mind, the SportContact2 tires on the M5 are special to BMW. So BMW has had Conti change something in the tire formulation to suit their requirements. If you visit TireRack's web site, there is the normal SC2 tire and the one that has the BMW suffix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EBuyuk said:
What about the Michelin pilot sport ps2 tires? Is there a reason that nobody is trying them?
I don't believe the Michelins are available in the OEM 19" wheel size. The only tires I know of are the Contis and the Pirelli Pzero Corsas. The Corsas are NOT road tires, they are basically track tires. If anyone is driving with these, be very, very careful in the rain.

From the Pirelli write-up:
"The P Zero Corsa is Pirelli's DOT-legal Competition tire primarily developed for use on high performance cars at drivers' schools and lapping days conducted on race tracks. The P Zero Corsa incorporates Pirelli's racing experience to enhance driving satisfaction at the limits of performance.

Caution: The P Zero Corsa is not recommended for driving on extremely wet roads where there is the risk of hydroplaning. This is especially true of shaved or worn tires. Drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds in these conditions."

As an aside - I've heard the main reason the M6 posted much improved 'ring times over the M5 was because of these tires.

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires are available in the 20 inch size for the M5. The reviews for these tires are just outstanding on the Tirerack website - several hundred users have submitted reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
285/35YR19
Blackwall Serv. Desc: (99Y) Price Each: $388 Special
Estimated Availability: Low Stock

This is what I saw on the tirerack website. Aren't these the tires for the rear?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EBuyuk said:
285/35YR19
Blackwall Serv. Desc: (99Y) Price Each: $388 Special
Estimated Availability: Low Stock

This is what I saw on the tirerack website. Aren't these the tires for the rear?
Yes, but the PS2's aren't available in the 255/40-19's for the front.

The other tires available in the OEM 19" sizes of 255/40-19, 285/35-19 are:

Pirelli PZero System Assimetrico, and Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico.

Both really lousy tires according to the survey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Its funny, I asked the guys at the PC this weekend which tire they preferred, since all of their M3s have PS2s on them. The response was that first Michelin gives them one heck of a deal on the tires for the PC cars, and that Contis are good tires, but they prefer the PS2, especially in the rain. Of course, this was not the supposedly new Conti on the M5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Wolverine said:
Yes, but the PS2's aren't available in the 255/40-19's for the front.

The other tires available in the OEM 19" sizes of 255/40-19, 285/35-19 are:

Pirelli PZero System Assimetrico, and Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico.

Both really lousy tires according to the survey.
Thanks for clearing it up for me. I didn't know that it made difference between 255/35 and 255/40. I just thought the 35 was less thick and nothing else. That's why I thought you could order the michelins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EBuyuk said:
I was on michelins website and I saw that the 255/40/19 for the fronts are available as well. So I guess we can get the ps2 tires in the original sizes. here is the pdf link http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotsportps2.pdf
I spoke to a guy at Tirerack, and the 255/40/19 tire is not available in North America at this time. No estimates of when it will be available. Now, if you go to Europe, you can bring a set back. Or perhaps you can order from a dealer over there and have them shipped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Wolverine said:
Looking at the owners comments and rankings on the Tirerack website, the Conti Sportcontact 2 tires are not the greatest. What has everyone's experience been with the tires?
I got my speed limiter removed today, and the tuner said that the Contis are only good for 300 km/h while the Pirellis can reach 350 km/h!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Wolverine said:
I spoke to a guy at Tirerack, and the 255/40/19 tire is not available in North America at this time. No estimates of when it will be available. Now, if you go to Europe, you can bring a set back. Or perhaps you can order from a dealer over there and have them shipped.
Thats weird because I clicked on USA to get to that link. :confused3
I'm sure that by the time we wear out our tires, tirerack will have those tires available here in the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
I got my speed limiter removed today, and the tuner said that the Contis are only good for 300 km/h while the Pirellis can reach 350 km/h!
What did you pay? How long did it take?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top