BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
u must call it labor of love, but it must get tiring & just plain annoyin to clean those 50 spokes per wheel 2-3x a week!!! how do you guys do it!!!??? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I try not to use my brakes... that way I don't have to clean my rims... ; )

·
10,456 Posts
2-3x a week... hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha hiha
Maybe every couple of weeks. They're wheels, they're supposed to be dirty...
One consolation, as the shadowchrome starts to deteriorate, it won't really matter if they're clean or dirty as they'll generally look the same.

I use the bmw wheel cleaner you can get at the dealer, spray it on, brush, hose off. Works well.
Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've bought a car cleaning mitten, made of heavy towelling material. It just lets you get your fingers between the spokes.

You don't get the super finish some of the photos on this board show, but for your regular was it's ideal.

Gareth:cheers:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think that it's very important to keep the wheels clean because they add so much to the appearence of our car.

Honestly, I'm very anal about keeping them clean - if I'm driving all or most of the day, I'll stop off at the nearest car-wash to my home and pressure the tires and the bugs off - not the entire car.

I then take a terry cloth wash-cloth and wipe them clean - all this in a suit.

On the week-ends, just driving around town - to the store, gym etc, when I'm done, I get a very damp wash-cloth and clean them again.

Yes, I'm a perfectionist (sp?) - not with spelling.

My friends say that both my car and house are sterile.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mottati said:
One consolation, as the shadowchrome starts to deteriorate, it won't really matter if they're clean or dirty as they'll generally look the same.
this is the second thread i've seen that alluded to Shadow Chrome wearing off. how long does it take to start coming off? - generally speaking, of course. it just sounds odd to me that's all.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've heard that Dirty Wheels go faster.
Yeah... I'm gonna start that rumor, right here, right now. I'll figure out some technical, psuedo-science, hyper-physics, faux-reality reasoning for it later.

Dirty Wheels go faster.
:M5launch:
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.

Say it with me: "Dirty Wheels go faster."

Yeah, ok, fine the Beast <i>does</i> look better with clean wheels... but I can't see the wheels from the driver's seat anyway... So who cares if the people around me can see my dirty, dirty wheels. I'm goin' by them so fast they probably can't see my wheels anyway!

:byebye:

·
Registered
489 Posts
1) It's not my daily driver.

2) It gets a bath at least once a week.

I dont do anything special when I wash it, I just make sure to hit the wheels and keep them clean. That way the dust never builds up and gets too bad. I usually just use regular car washing soap and I have a pressure washer that I will sometimes hit the wheels with.

·
Registered
992 Posts
A trick that I learned - WAX the wheels!

Yes, it is a pain in the you know what, but I had a detail service do it for $30.00. It lasts about a month (since I wash my car every week).

Clean the wheels to where you want them, apply a wax (by hand, spray, whatever)...then - anytime they are dirty - apply a hose of water and BAM! Sparkling clean wheels!

·
Registered
376 Posts
louv said:
I've heard that Dirty Wheels go faster.
Yeah... I'm gonna start that rumor, right here, right now. I'll figure out some technical, psuedo-science, hyper-physics, faux-reality reasoning for it later.

Dirty Wheels go faster.
:M5launch:
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.
Dirty Wheels go faster.

Say it with me: "Dirty Wheels go faster."

Yeah, ok, fine the Beast <i>does</i> look better with clean wheels... but I can't see the wheels from the driver's seat anyway... So who cares if the people around me can see my dirty, dirty wheels. I'm goin' by them so fast they probably can't see my wheels anyway!

:byebye:
I'm with louv on this one...I do not care what my wheels look like...as long as they STOP me with all the "interesting" things that I do with my car..:haha2:

Mark

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wax the wheels and clean them with Meguiars Gold Class wax and car washing soap respectively.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
P21S wheel cleaner is pretty good IMHO, a lot of folks swear by it. You can get a half liter spary bottle through Bavauto for about 15 notes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tranck,
A perfectionist who isn't sure he is spelling perfectionist correctly is truly a perfectionist. :biggrin:
While I keep my carbon zymol in the 'fridge (my wife calls it blue pudding), and I emulsify it in my palm before applying it with my fingers (the better to bond with one's vehicle) to the Jet black paint, I'm a big fan of the spray wax for the wheels. I don't have any complaints with the level of effort required to keep the wheels clean.
But today I took the wheels off in order to get new tires installed. I am the only one to torque the wheels (80 ft.-lbs?) Holy Asbestos Batman, the brake dust on the BACK of the wheels was unbelievable. Did you know the rims are painted black on the back? I found this out while washing them. Also my tire guy, (OK he is a redneck drag racer but also a patient and I was trying to do him a favor) could not get the rear tires on the rims. He was so afraid of damaging the rims that he put shop towels on his machine and had clear hose on the rim. FYI he said our wheel and tire combo is such that a run-flat capable machine is required. So tonight Muffy is on jackstands, I have one wheel sans tire, and 4 unmounted tires in my truck. The real tire store opens at 7:30am, so goodnight.
N.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
mottati said:
Mike
Agreed:cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have found that Griot's garage has a great wheel cleaner. They also have a great brush (v soft) and a finger mitt that really helps get into the nooks and crannies.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
diabolical1 said:
this is the second thread i've seen that alluded to Shadow Chrome wearing off. how long does it take to start coming off? - generally speaking, of course. it just sounds odd to me that's all.
Shadow chrome does come off ... I know !!!

Ordered my car from the factory. After, 18 months, I noticed darkening on three wheels. I rubbed, rubbed, rubbed, rubbed ... and, it only got worse.

I THOUGHT it was brake dust ... wrongo, wheel breath! Many dealers (fewer now that it has been discovered) use a caustic solution to clean wheels ... I should add my car has NEVER been to a car wash ... wheels washed by me (using only water) and BMW dealers around the western US.

First noticed the problem (I, too, am a perfectionist) in Jan, 2005. Just last month got a dealer (Crevier) to show the car to a factory rep. and now have approval to get the wheels refinished at BMW's expense ... It WASN'T easy!

Now, I am waiting for Crevier to find someone who is up to the task of refinishing them ... I intend to keep the car, and the wheels, and I don't mind waiting ...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ive just bought a Wheel Wax .. (had the turtle on the front of the bottle.. turtle wax?) cleaned the wheels then applied the spray, rubbed it in and then buffed them up. Its supposed not to let the dust get a grip and makes cleaning wheels easy..

Only put it on yesterday so cant comment on how good it actually is!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pip said:
A: Hot water a big sponge and a brush and then I just finger the narrows slits ;) it does a good job.Pip
Buy a foam paint brush, try a 2" and 3" - they're cheap and a better alternative to fingering narrow slits...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts