BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Im very excited as HRE called me today to tell me the HRE 447R 19 inch "bad boys" are ready to ship out from Calli to NY. I should have them by next Wednesday. Since these rims are new & clean, I'd like to take care of them as much as possible. What can be done to minimize dirt and brake dust from accumulating on the inner area of the rim. This area isn't easy to accesss and I'd like to know if theres anything that can be applied so the dirt doesn't stick to this area of the rim. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.
Robert

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hi Robert,

With my 3-piece Fikse's, I always removed the wheels and polished the spun aluminum inside sections with Blue Magic every month or so. If you let it get out of hand, it's extremely difficult to get it back to like-new condition. And a clean inside of the wheel is what really makes them special, IMO.

Ultimately, that cleaning ritual, along with almost daily detailing the outside sections, was one of the reasons why I ended up selling them. It got to be too much, and I just wasn't willing to accept anything less than perfectly-brand-new clean, so something had to give. My bad, I guess :3: But oh, were they beautiful lovelove

I can't wait to see some pics of those HRE's on your beast. What did you end up doing about tires?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
HREs are not the easiest rims to keep clean. But I would try giving them a good coat of wax before mounting them on and then following Bill's advice with regards to washign and cleaning the inside as often as possible. The longer you let it sit, the harder it will be to get clean. Congratulations on the rims, and please post some pictures!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've heard of a number of people who have used Zaino on their rims with very good results - including prepping pre-Zaino application with a clay bar.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wax the insides, then pull them off every few months to wash the entire wheel. Really no secret, just deticated cleaning methods.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ELEVENS said:
Hi Robert,

With my 3-piece Fikse's, I always removed the wheels and polished the spun aluminum inside sections with Blue Magic every month or so. If you let it get out of hand, it's extremely difficult to get it back to like-new condition. And a clean inside of the wheel is what really makes them special, IMO.

Ultimately, that cleaning ritual, along with almost daily detailing the outside sections, was one of the reasons why I ended up selling them. It got to be too much, and I just wasn't willing to accept anything less than perfectly-brand-new clean, so something had to give. My bad, I guess :3: But oh, were they beautiful lovelove

I can't wait to see some pics of those HRE's on your beast. What did you end up doing about tires?
I went with the Bridgestone Potenza REO50A, 285/30/19 and 255/35/19. :cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
WheelWax might help

http://www.wheelwax.com/

WheelWax is the only wax for wheels. It cleans, restores and protects in one step!. WheelWax is easy to apply, dries to a haze and buffs to a high shine. WheelWax changes the surface polarity of your wheels to repel brake dust particles.

WheelWax leaves an unbelievably smooth shine on your wheels that brake dust and moisture can't penetrate.This protective coating also makes cleaning your wheels a snap next time you wash your wheels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I take my 847r off every month and clean the inner barrell by hand also.Not the easiest thing but there is nothing like a clean rim inside/out rolling down the street.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I've been applying Rejex recently to all the new wheels here at the house--no long term results to report though for the insides on the wheels. It did make brake dust clean-up on the outsides of the used wheels easier on those I used the product on last year.

Good luck--it can get pretty nasty in there.

Anita

·
Registered
797 Posts
On my Dinan wheels, I prep (after purchase) with Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze. :1:

I wash the insides of the wheels the best I can during the weekly car wash session using a detailing brush and a good wheel cleaner.

Once a month, I take the wheels off the car and thoroughly clean the wheel (and the inside of the tires as well) and re-apply a coating of SG.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
x703jko said:
On my Dinan wheels, I prep (after purchase) with Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze. :1:

I wash the insides of the wheels the best I can during the weekly car wash session using a detailing brush and a good wheel cleaner.

Once a month, I take the wheels off the car and thoroughly clean the wheel (and the inside of the tires as well) and re-apply a coating of SG.

Jeff cherrsagai

O M G !!!
I guess I'll have my work cut out for me with these new rims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts