BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will apply mostly to the other California owners where chains are required when driving in the snow. What are people doing when they need to drive their M5 into areas that MIGHT have snow? I need to drive up to Oregon after the holidays (hope the car get's here in time!) and there MAY be snow in the Sierras at the time.

One possible idea that I heard somewhere was to buy chains that fit the front tires and swap the wheels if/when you need to have chains installed. Since the front tires are narrower, they should be able to clear the rear wheelwells with chains installed. Do the back tires fit up front?

Other options are to buy a set of smaller wheels/tires. But, I'd hate to do this if there is only a small chance of snow.

What other suggestions does anyone have?

------------------
Phil

01 M5 SilverStone due 12/00

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't believe I didn't get any replies to this... either this was a very stupid question and you all were laughing to hard to reply or no one has any clue to what I'm asking.

Doesn't anyone have any help here?

------------------
Phil

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
sorry phil,
i would of answered you if i knew any better. you have a valid question/concern, and i am definately not laughing at you. Unfortunately i dont know myself.

fas

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Good day from the Great White North...ehhhhhhhhh?

I can confirm that the Beast does NOT like snow.

My advice - in all earnesty - is to park it when the flakes fly...unless you want to risk curbing those beautiful 18's.

The DSC overreacts to the almost total lack of traction by virtually incapacitating the car...it barely crawls and the DSC goes haywire, pumping the brakes and chopping the power.

If your local snow removal resources have taken care of an overnight flurry, that's one thing (I'd still be nervous); otherwise, if you're contemplating soft-stepping through fresh snow, forget it.

Regards
Alps

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with your statement about staying put. However, my problem is a little different: I would like to visit my parents in Oregon this winter after the M5 arrives. I'll need to go over several passes on the way. Most of the time, they will be free of snow. However, there is always a chance that the weather will change and I'll be stuck. In particular, I'm worried about the drive home when I can't afford to wait it out. So, my choices are to not bring the M5 (argh!), buy a set of snow tires, do something else. I really want to bring the M5 so I can show it to my family. I don't want to buy a set of snow tires and rims for approximately $1400 for such a small possibility of snow.

The same issue happened last spring when I took a trip to the Grand Canyon in my M3. We had beautiful weather the whole trip except for one day. Fortunately I didn't have to put chains on since the snow showed up just as we were arriving at our hotel and was clear the next morning. In this case, my plan was to swap fronts for rears and put the chains on the smaller fronts. Can I do this on the M5 as well?

------------------
Phil

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the Buffalo NY area and I currently have a '98 5406sp. I have a week 48 build date on a '01 M5 Carbon Black. I have successfully used Blizzak LM-22s at all four corners for the past two winters. With traction control the car is amazing even in sudden white out conditions. I will use the same wheel/tire package on the M5 when it arrives in Dec/Jan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
you can't reverse the front tires with the backs, they won't fit

have to buy 17" wheels and snows (narrower size front and rear -- see owner's manual)

thats all you can do, unfortunately

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Did you hit snow near Flagstaff? We drove to the Canyon from Phoenix and couldn't believe the change in climate en route...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Sorry Phil...

But I would never dream of putting the beast at risk on snow covered roads. Maybe nightmare is more like it. We have cheaper cars for the more mundane tasks. Fortunately we don't get much snow in NYC. Just the thought plowing through snow with such an expensive & rare auto makes me cringe.

Just my .02c.

'93 M5 (see 4 sale section)
'01 M5 (incoming)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alpywhite: Yes, it was near Flagstaff. We kept climbing and climbing and the weather was getting worse and worse. By the time we pulled off the highway it was coming down pretty good.

Blue max: I hear what you are saying but one of the reasons I'm getting the M5 is so I can drive it on trips! I usually take my big trips either in the spring or the fall when there is a CHANCE of snow. I live near Sacramento and we drive up to Tahoe and Reno quite often. Same problem. Usually there is no snow, but you never know. Anyway, I need an emergency solution...

------------------
Phil

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've said it before. I don't think the M5 is capable of being safely driven in even a small amount of snow. Nor do I trust that no one else will slide into it. If you can afford to leave it in the garage, that's your BEST course of action. I have a 1999 GMC Sierra extended cab 4WD pickup. My car will be garaged from Thanksgiving until March. If you have only one car (parking issues, etc...), I feel for you, and don't have any other suggestion than to get 17" winter wheels with good snows. I can't imagine chains would be good for your M5.

Any good suggestions for storage? I plan on leaving it covered in my unheated garage. I'll start it weekly, and drive it around the block, assuming the streets are clear. This should keep the battery charged, and tires round. Other suggestions? Fuel stabilizer recommendations?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh. Another suggestion for when their MIGHT be snow where you're headed on a trip. Rent an SUV. Alamo and others rent 4WD Blazers and Bravadas. It's cheaper than a dinged rim or fender.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
If you plan to drive your M5 in the winter and might end up in snowy conditions you should buy winter wheels with real good
winter tires. I also reccomend you to buy chains as well to be prepared if tings get really bad.

If you plan to use chains the only solution for tire size is 235/45-17, at least according to the manual. I would say that a wheel with the similar outerdimensions should make it possible to use chains but you should checkt his with your dealer.

Using only chains with your standard wheels will not be possible, they do not fit. Also the combination of standard (summer wheels) and chains will make it possible to move the car forward but your cars steering and braking abilitys will be somehow (read very) limited.

/Johan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts