BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Dunlop SP 9000 on the car. Thinking of getting PS2s. Would very much appreciate some first-hand info from people who have switched from SP 9000 to PS2.

What I really like about the SP 9000s are how they give you early warning when you approach the lateral limit. You really hear just how much you are pressing the tires.

Do you get similair feedback from PS2s? Do you get feedback as early or later? When you do get feedback from the PS2s, how much margin do you have? Any difference (in % margin when feedback occurs) between wet and dry road?

David

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I can't compare the PS2s to Dunlops. Never had them. However I do like the way the PS2s feel at the limit. When new they seemed earily quiet at the limit but they soon settled into a slight growl followed by a squeal as the front start to push away. I think they give a good progressive break-away. Not the best break away feel I've owned (early 90's Michelin MXX3) but they are good.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Richard!

That is exactly the kind of info I´m looking for. When you thought the PS2s were "erily quiet at the limit", were you already used to the car itself, but with other tires?

I enjoy pushing the car until there is a consistent feedback sound from the tires, and still know that there is a reasonably good margin.

Best Regs,

David

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes, prior to the PS2s I had the original Pilot Sports. They got a bit noisey at the end of their life. Plus I bet the PS2s when new because of mold marks and the slickness of the new tires weren't allowing the "edge" blocks bite in and make much noise. Now they do well and on the typical 270 degree on-ramp, I get fairly progressive noise buildup as the car begins to push. Just below that limit, extra throttle can get the back end to respond the same way.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Approx how many miles on run-in did it take to get improved feedback?

What pressures do you use?

How sensitive is the PS2 handling / feedback to tyre pressure?

(If the feedback mainly comes from the edges, then overinflating would be twofold bad: less grip and less feedback...)

What do you think of the PS2 rain handling compared to PS1?

At what outside air temperature do you start to notice the tires "glaze up" and get less grip?

My SP 9000 behave consistently on dry roads down to + 7 deg C. Below +3 deg C they are really bad. Below freezing it feels like 75% of the grip is gone.

Wet roads below 5 deg is no fun.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts