BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slightly different tack on the Gearbox Oil inquisition, just wanted to know if there is a description/instructions somewhere on how to do the oil change? I had a quick search but only found debates on which oil to use.

thanks

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
rigsby said:
Slightly different tack on the Gearbox Oil inquisition, just wanted to know if there is a description/instructions somewhere on how to do the oil change? I had a quick search but only found debates on which oil to use.

thanks
From the consensus on the Board, which is the best gear box oil?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Be sure to remove the fill plug (number 2 in the picture) BEFORE removing the drain plug. The plugs are very tight from the factory and I needed a breaker bar and a lot of muscle to get mine off. If you remove the drain plug and then can't get the fill plug off, the gearbox will be empty and you'll have what's known as a non-driveable car! I read that the plugs should be torqued to 50 nM (37 ft-lbs.). You will need a hand pump to pump the new fluid in, as there isn't any way to just pour it in.

The consensus seems to be to use OEM LTF-1 or the newer LTF-2 if you're not into taking risks, and to use Royal Purple if you don't mind a bit of risk. No one seems to want to risk using Redline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts