BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Solaris light bulbs and can't get the front turn signal bulbs out on my 2001 M5. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Najeeb

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
you'd need really small hands to do the job! It's REALLY tight in there. Just reach in and twist then pull the sockets out carefully.

B

·
0 Posts
atomic80 said:
Just reach in and twist then pull the sockets out carefully.
Exactly the way it is done. Take care not to scratch the bulb when installing the new ones.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had to get my daughter (9 years old) to stick her hand in there. You might also try an open end wrench. I did that to get them "loose" and then she just pulled them out. I am anxious to hear how they look as I just ordered the bulbs meself.

01M5 said:
I purchased the Solaris light bulbs and can't get the front turn signal bulbs out on my 2001 M5. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Najeeb

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Here you go, I have done it twice. The best way to do this is to remove the air boxes 1st. It isn't all that hard and it will save you alot of aggravation in the process. Besides, it will give you an excuse to change the air filters and clean under the air boxes.

Mark

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had the same problem. My hands are too large, couldn't convince my wife or daughter to do it. Even if you manage to squeeze the bulb off, it's a bigger ***** getting it back in. Mark's right, just take off the air box-- not too big of a deal.

Wilkie

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kcdoyle said:
I had to get my daughter (9 years old) to stick her hand in there. You might also try an open end wrench. I did that to get them "loose" and then she just pulled them out. I am anxious to hear how they look as I just ordered the bulbs meself.
I have already done the rear and sides. The Solaris bulbs blend in very well and the "fried egg" look is gone. I am satisfied with that part.

There are two types that one can purchase. One is the conventional amber look (Electrum). Instead, I got the xenon colored light (Niveus). It looks quite different, a bit ricey and makes the car more conspicuous in traffic. If I had to do over, I would go with the amber bulbs to retain the stealth of the M5.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EvilTommy said:
Go to the dealership and do it. They change it free, and you dont need an appointment, or atleast i dont.
Thanks to all for your replies and advice. I appreciate your help.

I have to go to the dealer for new cam position sensors (they are on backorder from Germany). So I'll try this first since they must have a trick to do it easily.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If you try to do this yourself, particularly if you don't take the airbox or anything else off to gain clearance, be sure to remove all metal objects from your hands and wrist first (watches, rings). We wouldn't want your hand electro-fused to your car or worse! :eek: Actually, this is good general advice anytime you're working on your car, even if you don't start out intending to stick your hands in someplace. Invariably even if you don't intend to, you end up doing that, e.g., to get that screw or nut you dropped in someplace. :3:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Try removing the 4 bolts holding the headlight assembly in place and then sliding the unit out a bit. This gives you the extra room you need to get your hand in there for twisting the piece. I also think it is easier then removing the airboxes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Anyone have a part number for the front turn signal bulb?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Having done this a few times, my vote is for the airbox approach. Removing the entire headlight assembly may seem easier, but you will run the risk of misaligning your beams, so you'll have to mark your light on the wall before you disassemble them, then also the exact/original positioning of the 4 bolts, as you can end up tilting the headlight assembly either too inward or outward. Lastly, you have to slide it back into the bracket, which can prove tricky.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I concur with removing the air box first. Unless you have very small hands this is the only way to go.

Mark

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
that was the most difficult light bulb change i've ever done in my life....wow.
:hihi:

Did one myself recently. Almost makes you want to not use your turn signals....

Dave

·
Registered
618 Posts
My driver side front blinker bulb just went...does anyone have the part number? I'm on bavauto and there are a lot of selections, want to make sure I have the right thing. Also, I don't understand what the "stealth bulbs" are, isnt the bulb behind a orange enclosure anyways?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Also, I don't understand what the "stealth bulbs" are, isnt the bulb behind a orange enclosure anyways?
In some cars, it's an orange enclosure. In others, it's a "white" enclosure, but looks orange because of the bulb. "Stealth bulbs" have a chrome coating around them that makes them stealthy. They still light up amber (or white, depending on what you buy), but it eliminates the orange look that many people don't like.

As for what you need, it's gonna be either 1157 or the slot one (i forgot the code for that one). If the RealOEM graphics are anything to go by, though, you need the 1157 bulbs which can be picked up at any auto store (if you don't want the stealth ones).

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My driver side front blinker bulb just went...does anyone have the part number? I'm on bavauto and there are a lot of selections, want to make sure I have the right thing. Also, I don't understand what the "stealth bulbs" are, isnt the bulb behind a orange enclosure anyways?
Holy bump from the dead!!! haha at least you searched

I would just as well remove my headlights to replace the bulb... its gonna be a PITA no matter what you do.

Remove the old bulb, take the new one to Autozone, find some new bulbs that match the specifications.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts