BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to move the strut adjusting camber on the front wheels, the car must be raised off its wheels while on the alignment machine. If it is raised off its wheels, I cannot use the alignment machine to see what the specs are as I'm changing the camber. Also, when the car is raised off its wheels and brought back down to check the specs on the alignment machine, they will not be accurate because the suspension is no longer settled being that it was off the ground,so I would have to drive the car in order for the suspension to settle making it a multi day affair just to get the camber specs I want! Any help?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
In order to move the strut adjusting camber on the front wheels, the car must be raised off its wheels while on the alignment machine. If it is raised off its wheels, I cannot use the alignment machine to see what the specs are as I'm changing the camber. Also, when the car is raised off its wheels and brought back down to check the specs on the alignment machine, they will not be accurate because the suspension is no longer settled being that it was off the ground,so I would have to drive the car in order for the suspension to settle making it a multi day affair just to get the camber specs I want! Any help?
Who is doing you alignment and have they ever done one before? The alignment (unless you're having RAO do it) will most likely be done on an alignment rack (suspension lift with slide tables under all four wheels). The front tables have a protractor also built in for toe adjustment. If the he car needs to be lifted such that the front suspension is unloaded for the camber adjustment to be made, once the suspension is again supporting the full load of the vehicle (+ ballast for driver and any passenger) the suspension will only require a couple of jounces on the rack to remove any camber loading as a result of the car having been lifted. The full alignment including camber adjustment should not take more than a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who is doing you alignment and have they ever done one before? The alignment (unless you're having RAO do it) will most likely be done on an alignment rack (suspension lift with slide tables under all four wheels). The front tables have a protractor also built in for toe adjustment. If the he car needs to be lifted such that the front suspension is unloaded for the camber adjustment to be made, once the suspension is again supporting the full load of the vehicle (+ ballast for driver and any passenger) the suspension will only require a couple of jounces on the rack to remove any camber loading as a result of the car having been lifted. The full alignment including camber adjustment should not take more than a couple of hours.
I am doing the alignment and I have done alignments before, just never done a car with camber plates and never had to adjust front camber. Yes the car was on the alignment rack. On the lift, which as you correctly stated is a suspension lift, there are two lifts in the middle that can go on the bottom of the car to raise the wheels off the actual suspension lift. The problem is i can only adjust the camber when the wheels are physically in the air, so I must raise the front end of the car up so the wheels are in the air, but when I raise it, it messes up the alignment specification making it necessary for the car to be set up on the alignment rack again, also the alignments specs cannot be read while the front end of the car is raised so the wheels are not on the lift making it impossible for me to be able to adjust camber accurately. Normally I would just get a wrench and turn to adjust something like toe and watch as it changes on the alignment machine so I can see when it is in proper spec. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Frye

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Is your top plate indexed?

If so, measure your camber then lift the vehicle and loosen the four SHCSs. Shift the shock one index and tighten the SHCSs. Measure the camber and calculate the delta. This will give you a very good idea as to how many degrees movement you can achieve with each index mark. So if each index is 2° and you are looking to add 4° negative camber; loosen the four SHCSs and move the shock inboard 2 indices from the starting point. Repeat on the other side, tighten the SHCSs, lower the vehicle, jounce the suspension a couple of times and measure the camber again. Repeat until you hade precisely the camber angle you desire. You should not need to remove the alignment heads or completely unload the suspension; only lifting the vehicle until the bearing surfaces are unladen.

Some further information...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/204652-quickly-accurately-inexpensively-measure-camber-any-car-almost-anywhere.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/162627-torquey5s-bc-racing-coilover-install-alignment.html

BC Racing Coilovers Camber Adjustment on Vimeo.

BC Coilover Height & Camber Adjustment from Racing Parts Solution

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your top plate indexed?

If so, measure your camber then lift the vehicle and loosen the four SHCSs. Shift the shock one index and tighten the SHCSs. Measure the camber and calculate the delta. This will give you a very good idea as to how many degrees movement you can achieve with each index mark. So if each index is 2° and you are looking to add 4° negative camber; loosen the four SHCSs and move the shock inboard 2 indices from the starting point. Repeat on the other side, tighten the SHCSs, lower the vehicle, jounce the suspension a couple of times and measure the camber again. Repeat until you hade precisely the camber angle you desire. You should not need to remove the alignment heads or completely unload the suspension; only lifting the vehicle until the bearing surfaces are unladen.

Some further information...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/204652-quickly-accurately-inexpensively-measure-camber-any-car-almost-anywhere.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/162627-torquey5s-bc-racing-coilover-install-alignment.html

BC Racing Coilovers Camber Adjustment on Vimeo.

BC Coilover Height & Camber Adjustment from Racing Parts Solution
Yes it is indexed however I figured there must be a way to be able to do it so that the machine can accurately measure the camber while I'm adjusting it rather than relying on the marks on the actual camber plate. I guess my only option is using the marks?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The Trial and Error method usually sucks, but if you could do the community a favour, and post what the index marks correspond to as far as change in angle (e.g. each index = 2°) that would be helpful to anyone else who has a similar issue. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have you attempted this yet? On my old 240 with coilovers, camber was easily adjusted without having to lift the wheels off the ground. Granted, weights between the cars are vastly differ, but I doubt you'd have a problem loosening the top camber plate bolts and just adjusting the camber while the wheels are on the ground...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts