BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of the car searches I've turned up have vehicles equipped with wood trim, which looks decent, but I'd prefer black. I know that looking for a made-to-order used car is not feasable, but do you guys know if swapping out the wood for black is possible - and if so, would anyone care to guess the cost?

Thank you in advance!

-Matt

·
Registered
286 Posts
matt310 said:
A few of the car searches I've turned up have vehicles equipped with wood trim, which looks decent, but I'd prefer black. I know that looking for a made-to-order used car is not feasable, but do you guys know if swapping out the wood for black is possible - and if so, would anyone care to guess the cost?

Thank you in advance!

-Matt
Hey Matt swapping the interior peices is not that difficult,just take your time in order not to damage the clips.With the right tool a real snap I am in the proccess of changing my wood trim for Titanium finish.A pannel poper makes the job real easy. :cheers: :cheers:

Ron.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Didn't know there was a black...

The titanium (brushed silver pieces) run around $750 (just guess/recollection)... I was looking to change out the titanium to wood on one M5 I had been shopping- wound up buying a different car with wood. :)

A

·
Registered
399 Posts
matt310 said:

Thank you in advance!

-Matt
I have black birch anthracite trim with silverstone interior.In Canada it was an "individual" order I made when I ordered my car.

PM me and I'll shhot you some pics...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
matt310 said:
I know that looking for a made-to-order used car is not feasable, but do you guys know if swapping out the wood for black is possible - and if so, would anyone care to guess the cost?
Also did it with a friend using a panel popper. Went from wood to the brighter silver. I like it a lot. It seemed like a good amount of money at the time, but after seeing it every day, it's well worth it.

·
10,455 Posts
ard said:
Didn't know there was a black...
A
i also think there was a basic "black" trim that came standard on lesser e39's like the 525i (as well as a silver and tan trim too). One other one was "technical surface" a faux carbon fiber looking trim, that came on 528 sports in 98. (mine had that, i liked it)
Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about the interior leather door panel inserts?
For example, if the exterior is silver w/full black lux interior, I wonder how difficult it would be to acquire the silver door panel inserts for a slightly dressed-up/more colorful interior combination? Has anyone done this recently?

-Matt

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ron Thompson said:
...I am in the proccess of changing my wood trim for Titanium finish...
Tell me more about this Titanium finish. Do you have any pics or links?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
ELEVENS said:
There are links to my interior trim (just click, "view my car."). I am actually not sure if it is aluminum or titanium. It's the lighter finish, so perhaps it is aluminum. In any event, it's what I was looking for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went from wood to the titanium. Everything was fairly easy and straight forward. The only thing that gave me some problem was the e-brake handle. I couldn't get the wood/leater one off. I ended up taking the entire assembly off and replaced it for the all leater handle. It made a world of difference to me and would do it again in a hearbeat.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ELEVENS said:
No pic yet I will take some as soon as I receive the peices back.

Thanks

Ron! :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
n2speedn said:
I couldn't get the wood/leater one off. I ended up taking the entire assembly off and replaced it for the all leater handle.
I had to break the wood e-brake handle trim off too, in order to replace it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
...I am actually not sure if it is aluminum or titanium...

When I ordered my M5, it was called aluminum. The color is bright like aluminum. Titanium is darker and duller, slightly more purplish/browning/taupe in color. A true titanium color might actually look very good with certain interior color combos. And titanium would likely be more durable, as well... but more costly! Anyone know if titanium trim (not aluminum) is available?

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Anyone know if titanium trim (not aluminum) is available?
I'm fairly certain that a darker trim called titanium is available, although it is probably just painted plastic also.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Per the USA 2003 M5 Brochure there was ONE metal trim ("Aluminum") and TWO wood trims ("Bruyere Club" and "Burr Walnut"). Not sure what EU had, nor what was available in the Individual programme.

A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts