BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 73.5K mi. on my lovely 540-6 and I am getting chatter/shake at low RPMs in 1st and sometimes in reverse gear. The clutch seems to engage "at the last minute" or in a non-linear fashion, & makes the 1-2 shift almost impossible to make smoothly (or maybe I suck at shifting?). The TO bearing or pressure plate squeaks like nothing you've ever heard, and the pedal feel is worse.......crunchy, squeaky, and stiff. I think the engagement is OK at WOT (no slippage from what I can tell). I am sooooo sick of the squeak and difficulty shifting 1-2.

I can replace the clutch with BMW parts for $1,400 and not be embarrassed to pull up at Starbucks, & anywhere else for that matter) or live with it until the **** flywheel explodes and I don't have a choice.

What should I do guys?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe move up to the UUC combo?

ALEV8 said:
I have 73.5K mi. on my lovely 540-6 and I am getting chatter/shake at low RPMs in 1st and sometimes in reverse gear. The clutch seems to engage "at the last minute" or in a non-linear fashion, & makes the 1-2 shift almost impossible to make smoothly (or maybe I suck at shifting?). The TO bearing or pressure plate squeaks like nothing you've ever heard, and the pedal feel is worse.......crunchy, squeaky, and stiff. I think the engagement is OK at WOT (no slippage from what I can tell). I am sooooo sick of the squeak and difficulty shifting 1-2.

I can replace the clutch with BMW parts for $1,400 and not be embarrassed to pull up at Starbucks, & anywhere else for that matter) or live with it until the **** flywheel explodes and I don't have a choice.

What should I do guys?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is SPEC acceptable to the beast-o-philes? I can't remember if they are the readl deal or not, as I recall seeing a few threads about SPEC.

I would love to spend less if possible. The only reasone to replace the clutch is that I'll need a great car to get me through lawschool and up to my 2007 M5!

Greco, tell what you know about SPEC!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
If you want to know if it is dead or still has some life, pull the ebrake to the stop and try to drive the car off. If it stalls then the clutch grabs. Wait a sec...if you still have your CDV then that is a bad idea. It will slip then no matter most likely.
If you have the money I hear nothing but good things about UUC's products. Have you tried a board search of the other brand?
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Greco said:
Alex, for less than $1400 why not go with www.specclutch.com stage 3 which includes lightweight flywheel and heavy duty clutch?

Unless a Rob has a special on the UUC's I think its a very viable solution...
A UUC oversized setup is the optimal choice, if your clutch sees hard use. The UUC 11" 540i setup is proven to hold up behind a supercharger or in the hands of folks who drag race. It has no autoadjuster mechanism to make clicking or creaking noises and then fail.

At 70K+ mi, it sounds to me like you need a complete clutch assy replacement & probably a fresh bearing retainer for the nose of your tranny. The noise is probably the stupid autoadjuster mechanism inside the pressure plate. This is the unreliable gizmo that's deleted in the RRobert (M3 Sachs Racing) and UUC (850i V12) clutch setups. In addition, it sounds like your pedal linkage may need parts replaced. Search for RSMillar links to his home site on roadfly for 540i clutch operating system revamp.

The BMW autoadjust clutch noises & modest lifecycle you experienced is considered normal. If you don't plan to race the car, you might consider factory parts. If the autoadjuster doesn't malfunction, you may get another 70K mi.

In my opinion, a Spec 9-5/8" autoadjusting clutch combined with a lightweight flywheel sounds like a lose-lose setup. I would not want a lightweight flywheel combined with a lightweight, autoadjust pressure plate. That setup would exhibit OEM weakness with the added bonus of roller noise.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ALEV8 said:
Is SPEC acceptable to the beast-o-philes?
The small 9-5/8" Spec autoadjust clutch was installed by an M5 member here about 2 mo ago. The fresh clutch slipped, so he traded in on a new X5. Problem gone, car gone. Does that answer your question?

Spec products are good, but for the record, ALL 9-5/8" "autoadjust" pressure plates to fit E39 V8 are manufactured by LUK, no matter who repaints them or re-boxes them. This is why folks who stick with the smallish autoadjust clutch will have troubles, no matter what mfr is involved (Sachs, Luk, Spec, BMW etc). Folks who switch to a non-autoadjust setup like UUC or Sachs Racing have a fighting chance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Question from Title of thread: "How can I tell if my clutch is shot?"

Answer: It say M5 on the trunk. grrrrrrr

Sorry to say, but an awful lot of threads are related to clutch problems. As LSCMAN says, the 11" UUC is the way to go if you do not ever want to replace the clutch again.

And the UUC Stage III package can take any power you can throw at it right up to a supercharger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts