BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got that itch again for a faster bimmer and I am trying to determine the extra costs of M5 ownership over a '99 328i (not counting the note).

In Omaha property tax on an '01 would be $840/year v. $340 for the 328i.

Also, I am considering the extra cost of gas and tires. Hopefully, I can avoid tickets.

Think $150 or $200 a month to figure for the Beast?

PS Dare I ask, does anyone run Ultra High Performance All Season tires here? A few weeks ago I saw an M5 at the dealership with Pilot AllSeasons on.

PPS I have also recently test driven a few E90s and loved them. I did not, however, leave the car with the same all-day-long-sh1t-eating grin I received from my M5 test drive. Is the E90 the more practical choice with it's four year waranty and maintenence?? Is is worth it being practical?

TIA

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've been getting about 14-14.5mpg in my around town city commute. Not stop and go traffic, but average flowing traffic patterns. That's with a light food. Dipping into the throttle here and there easily knocks that number down. Tank is 18.5 gal with 2 gal for reserve. I full up when the warning light comes on which means it takes about 16-16.5 gal of gas roughly. Figure based on that.

Insurance wise, I had an 03 M3 and the M5 is $10/mo cheaper.

My co worker has Pilot Sport All Seasons, he loves them.

You don't have to spend more money on tires then you did on your 328i. No one says you have to use ultra high performance tires, but you'll probably find yourself wanting to to get the best traction for all the power you'll want to use.

·
Registered
138 Posts
yes, I'm on Pirelli PZero Nero M&S's and they are far and away better traction, noise and comfort than the OEM's, they give great response and slide very predictibly albeit far after the point that the OEM's did.

I just completed a trip to NC and back, and had my brother-in-law who is definately the best driver I know personally push her a little bit down there, and I still managed to average 24.6 mpg for the trip and I've gone through one quart or RP since the last oil change 3500 mi. ago. The only reason for the top off...my brother-in-law's run that he pushed it VERY hard, though admitedly, only about 7/10's of what he could be he wasn't comfortable doing it in my/this car. Just sharing my personal experience thus far.

:cheers:

Sean

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies.

I am not too worried about gas guzzling, I can handle that cost. I am more worried about clutches, tires, etc.

Good to know folks are running Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, that is what I currently have on my 328i and I love them. Hopefully they'll last 2-3 years.

I have considered the M3, but I seriously need 4 doors and that extra low-end torque.:D

Surely, there must be costs I am not considering.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Rotors are expensive on an M5, a full set costing close to $500 for US Spec I think it was. Pads are standard price.

Clutch(es) can get prices. You'll find a lot of people who killed a clutch in very (or very very very low) mileage, and those with tons of mileages 60k+ on their original clutch. So that's hard to say. But the OEM clutch/flywheel runs about $800 I believe, or you can get a Stage 1 SPEC clutch and a lightened flywheel for about the same. Labor, not sure on that, guessing about the same $800.

Other then that, I think most of the rest of the maintenance items are fairly standard, except it has 2 air filters, 2 cabin filters, and takes more oil then your 328 does.

The big ticket items that can get real expensive you should be covered by an extended warranty, which you should definitely get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might be worth reading some of the articles on oil consumption, the early models like mine (99) seen to drink it!

Also MAFS seem to give up around 60K miles & clutches are "disposable" if drag racing is your thing.

It's just an expensive car to run, but boy does she shift!!!!!!!!

Gareth

:M5launch:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes, I would strongly recommend a CPO or aftermarket warrenty for an M5. It should avoid most big ticket items. There are definite areas of expense for an M5 and some depending on how its driven.
1. Expect 20k or less out of a set of tires. This is normal for any Z rated tire on most sports cars.
2. Clutches can last 30k-50k miles when properly driven. 5k if not!
3. Brake pads and rotors are about the same. Abused rotors will cost $1200 a pair to replace. Abused means track pads, no proper bedding in, and a track day in the rain. I got burnt on that one :(
4. Fuel mileage and insurance should be no more than most other high performance cars. Compared to a 328i, yes they'll be incrementally higher. I get 20 mpg average so it's not too bad.
For a ball park number, I'd expect $1000 per year on good tires and allow for $1000 per year on other stuff. Most years you'll be able to spend the money on mods :)

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Perhaps you answered your own dilemma... don't fall into 'analysis paralysis'... that sh1t eating grin you described: priceless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts