BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has had £1000 since I placed my order two years ago. Recently this has been increased to £5000, which was acceptable to me if the car was one of the first being delivered. Clearly this will not be the case as I am third on their list. They are also being very cagey with the information regards build week etc.

When I said they were being unreasonable I was told that I should think myself lucky that they only took a £5k deposit as BMW GB was recommending 10% which would be £7.2k.

Is this par for the course or do I have reason to feel aggreived?:rolleyes: :( :grrrr:

Thanks

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I paid 6000 Euros deposit back in February 2003 to be number one.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I never give my dealer a deposit until the car is final build confirmed. It helps that I have bought lots of cars from them as this builds up trust with the dealer. If BMW GB centrally managed the waiting lists a lot of these issues could be sorted out and dealers and speculators would not be able to switch peoples name. Audi in the UK did this with the RS4 and if you backed out or someone tried to change the name on the order then they would be removed from the list and everyone one behind moves up a place.

Unfortunately due to the debacle with the CSL and loads of people dropping out a lot of dealers are now asking for £5K deposits up to a year in advance which imho is ridiculous.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Why such large deposits? The local practice for such cars is to place a deposit of $1000 to join the waiting list. The deposit date determines the waiting list order. One can't "buy" a better waiting list position from the dealer, and the dearlers do not sell cars that customers have ordered above list price. Moreover, I am permitted to let others behind me in line pass me one-by-one when it's time to place a build order until I've decide to order a car or drop from the list. If I decide not to buy the car before placing a firm build order, the deposit is fully refundable. This arrangement couldn't be more fair to the customer.

If I decide to special order a car to specifications so unusual as to reduce the potential market for such a car, the dealers will ask for a much larger non-refundable commitment. This practice is fair to the dealers.

Richard

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
rsteele said:
Why such large deposits? The local practice for such cars is to place a deposit of $1000 to join the waiting list. The deposit date determines the waiting list order. One can't "buy" a better waiting list position from the dealer, and the dearlers do not sell cars that customers have ordered above list price. Moreover, I am permitted to let others behind me in line pass me one-by-one when it's time to place a build order until I've decide to order a car or drop from the list. If I decide not to buy the car before placing a firm build order, the deposit is fully refundable. This arrangement couldn't be more fair to the customer.

If I decide to special order a car to specifications so unusual as to reduce the potential market for such a car, the dealers will ask for a much larger non-refundable commitment. This practice is fair to the dealers.

Richard
Same here. Except if I don't buy a car, they keep my $1000 deposit. Sounds fair to me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
$ 1000 US back in march 2003 for the #1 spot for both M5 and M6

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just $500 to put my name in my factory-owned delaership list in White Plains, NY for an M5 (done Dec 2003). I just recently switched the deposit for an M6 (now #5) for a 2007 delivery. I think it is worth the wait since I have the M3 sibling at the moment.

This is the minimum acceptable amount here in NY and is also refundable in case a customer changes his/her mind.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
My deposit is $1,000. The facts that the deposit is fully refundable and the car will be sold at MSRP are specified in the contract. I have been told by more than one dealer that everyone who has placed deposits will be in line in front of those whose names are on a list without any money deposited, even if those who did not place deposits got on the list before those who did.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Why is there such a large pattern of discrepencies between dealers, why does BMW let its dealer network free reign with deposits?

all the best
adam

·
Registered
907 Posts
Number one (several times over), Zero deposit and buyers order stating first unit at no more than MSRP.

MJ
'03 tick tock lease up 10/10/05

·
Registered
10 Posts
$1000 in Baltimore in Sept 2004. Was #4 at the time, but sounds like I'm #2 now (guess I'm lucky to be in this area with a relatively late decision). Written "At MSRP", Fully Refundable. In Sept 04, dealer said allocation of 5 first month and 2/month thereafter (which I later found hard to believe, based on info on this board). A few days ago, dealer is now saying they have an allocation of 3 this Calendar year.

As many others, went to Detroit last week and was very impressed with both... You might have seen my residual puddle of drool ;)

As an aside, I'll take the opp of my first post here to thank everyone on the board for the wealth of information. I've come to the board almost daily for the last 7 months (little late to the bandwagon), and has obviously been my primary source of information. Thanks for everyone's time in creating THE M5 source on the web, and indirectly the best E60 M5 salesperson BMW has. Can't wait to join the club in the (hopefully) Fall !

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
"Best salesman there is" hiha

Thanks for the comments! :thumbsup:
BroCheese said:
As an aside, I'll take the opp of my first post here to thank everyone on the board for the wealth of information. I've come to the board almost daily for the last 7 months (little late to the bandwagon), and has obviously been my primary source of information. Thanks for everyone's time in creating THE M5 source on the web, and indirectly the best E60 M5 salesperson BMW has. Can't wait to join the club in the (hopefully) Fall !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts