BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
You can always put the jack and jackstand on the side of the fill plug, fill with correct amount of lube plus small amount more, lower car to normal, level, position, and let it drain out the fill plug as designed. Then jack back up properly and reinstall the plug. :)
I like this idea. If only the ground was level! The garage floor slopes out and my driveway slopes down towards the house.

On my list of things to do when I visit a lift (maybe at Redshift's? ;)) is to check my fluid levels.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would strongly suggest to only use the Castrol SAF-XJ differential oil,as this has the correct additives for this specific diff.Other oils can damage the clutch package for example...

Vantaam: Thank you. I am extremely particular about oil/fluids and bought the Royal Purple in a moment of weakness. As soon as I got home I had changed my mind about the Royal Purple.

I am thinking of going OEM BMW Differential Oil. There might be better oils out there but at least I know its the same oil thats in the Diff right now.
What are your thoughts on the OEM BMW Diff oil?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The OEM fluid is Castrol SAF-XJ.

I did not have the information the Mobil1 has the correct additives.Very interesting.
Have a very high opinion of Mobil oil products,use them in my engine and transmission.
They only part I hesitated was for the diff.I used the Castrol SAF-XJ in my stock diff and was suggested to use it in my Drexler diff as well..

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The OEM fluid is Castrol SAF-XJ.

I did not have the information the Mobil1 has the correct additives.Very interesting.
Have a very high opinion of Mobil oil products,use them in my engine and transmission.
They only part I hesitated was for the diff.I used the Castrol SAF-XJ in my stock diff and was suggested to use it in my Drexler diff as well..
Is it possible to fill diff oil while car on ramps?

I have an oil pump and i hope to pump/fill OEM Diff fluid till I can get the seals replaced.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Called the local dealer and they have the "XJ Differential fluid" in stock ($37 a liter).

I am going to add the differential oil to make sure the differential is full and then put up with the leak till I can replace all 3 seals. I changed my mind about draining the fluid because the "leak" seems to be worse than it initially looked. Cleaning the diff and oil residue was a good call, the amount of seapage is far worst and draining/adding new fluid is just pointless.

I am assuming that adding BMW XJ fluid to the old fluid already in Differential is OK, please correct me if I am wrong?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I am assuming that adding BMW XJ fluid to the old fluid already in Differential is OK, please correct me if I am wrong?
Since you don't know what's in there - and most likely it is the original fill - then I'd say yes, you're fine adding the BMW fluid to it.

Don't forget to bring your BMW CCA card with you to Leith to get your discount. You are a BMW CCA member, right? ;)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Since you don't know what's in there - and most likely it is the original fill - then I'd say yes, you're fine adding the BMW fluid to it.

Don't forget to bring your BMW CCA card with you to Leith to get your discount. You are a BMW CCA member, right? ;)

Sadly enough I am NOT a memeber yet.

Also, I am going to Performance BMW in Chapel HIll as it is closer from my work.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Sadly enough I am NOT a memeber yet.
Here's the linkie: BMW CCA - Join the BMW CCA

You can thank me later. :)

I believe that Leith gives you a discount on both parts and labor although I've never taken advantage of the latter (they do warranty work for me, but I do everything else). Chapel Hill (Hendrick) I don't know about, but it wouldn't hurt to ask next time you're in there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here's the linkie: BMW CCA - Join the BMW CCA

You can thank me later. :)

I believe that Leith gives you a discount on both parts and labor although I've never taken advantage of the latter (they do warranty work for me, but I do everything else). Chapel Hill (Hendrick) I don't know about, but it wouldn't hurt to ask next time you're in there.
Performance gives a discount on parts, but Leith's pricing is still better. Despite living in Chapel Hill just a few miles from Performance, I no longer give them business of any kind due to the experiences I had with their BMW service department.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Got home and decided to add the fluid.

Opened the 14mm "fill" bolt and oil came gushing out, caught me by surprise. I was able to screw the bolt right back but not before 1-2 oz of fluid had leaked. EVERYTHING I had read on this subject led me to believe that if oil is pouring from the fill hole that means the oil level is ok.

Given my an*l nature, I decided to not trust the oil level since the car was not "level" (on rear ramps) and drove .5 mile to my local Colony tire guys. I took the BMW XJ fluid, my own tools including torque wrench and a hand pump just in case.
They put the car on lift and open the fill bolt, this time oil slowly seeps out but its still pouring out. They close the fill hole and tell me there is enough diff oil in there.

NOW, the question is why, even after 1-2 drops a day of oil seep from the diff seal, is there still enough/too much oil in the diff.
Is it possible that the oil was overfilled?

Those who have drained their diff, was oil pouring out when you opened the "fill" bolt?

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Someone in the past probably filled the diff with the car jacked up on the fill plug side, and left it at that. It was definitely over-filled, and no when the diff is properly filled, when you remove the fill plug little to no fluid should flow out unless you are not on a level surface. Yours was surely improperly filled when diff fluid was changed sometime.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Someone in the past probably filled the diff with the car jacked up on the fill plug side, and left it at that. It was definitely over-filled, and no when the diff is properly filled, when you remove the fill plug little to no fluid should flow out unless you are not on a level surface. Yours was surely improperly filled when diff fluid was changed sometime.

That seems to be the case. Either that or the PO (knowing the seal is seeping) had the diff over filled by a tech using a pump etc.
Either way the diff has enough oil, I will keep an eye on the seepage and get the seals replaced asap.

Thank you all for your help.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts