BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How about paint quality?

5193 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  m_five
This M5 will be my first BMW vehicule and I would like to ask others with BMW ownership experience if the paint quality on these car is good, adequate or above the average as far as wear, scratch resitance, shine and so on. The reason I ask is because I had my 2 other vehicule buffed, polished and waxed last week and I have ask the question to the pro doing it if he though BMW had good paint and he was not very positive about it, anyone can comment?

thanks
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
All clear topcoats are soft and scratch very easily. I believe that BMW, as well as Porsche and MB, use BASF Glasurit paint which is the best available. IMO, machine buffing is a lazy way out and should never be performed on paint that is is reasonably good condition.

Here are my recommendations : Contaminants should be removed with clay. If youv'e never tried clay, you will be amazed. Even buffing will not remove the tiny contaminants that clay removes, and you can feel it ! Paint should be hand-waxed with one of the new polymer waxes (dont waste your time waxing until you've completed the clay process.) Hand washing should be followed up every time with a "wax as you dry" detailer. And most important, always keep her covered when she's clean - the sun is the enemy.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.