BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never gone to a track before and am very eager to! I don't know which ones would be good, I live in Houston but am entirely open to meeting anywhere in Texas (except El Paso ;) )

I am also trying to gather as much information about the E60 M5 as possible in preparation of shopping for one. I've read several threads pertaining to SMG vs 6speed, and I thought I had my mind made up to go with 6speed but now I'm back on the fence. I am absolutely NOT asking to drive anyone's car, I wouldn't dare, but I'd greatly appreciate being allowed to simply ride along on the track. I can only compare so much at the dealership and I would love to get a feel of how both cars really open up and respond at top speed.

I plan to start racing my 550i while at the track to get a feel for it, I guess it's going to become my beater :) I was told I should try out 100 octane fuel, does anyone know where to get some in Houston? From a google search I found a few places here that sell barrels of it, but I don't need 55 gallons. Is there a single station anywhere, maybe near a track, that has it on pump?

Thanks so much in advance and I really hope to receive some responses! :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would love to go to the track, but I have never been to one, so I don't know much about it! BMW of Houston North has been coming up with some track day activities a few times, and I know they do it every once in a while. The name of the gentle man over there is Scott. He is a very nice guy, and he has a lot of information. He is the one who told me about the events. I think he is a member of the board as well! You might be able to get in touch with him and see what’s coming up. I think Scott is the Accessories/Performance Manager.
If I could help speeding up the decision making process for one of the fellow members, I would do it with no hesitation. As I mentioned, I don’t have any track experience (other than go Katrs!), but if you think you want to experience SMG, I’ll be more than happy to meet so we can go for a ride and I can tell you everything I know.
My recommendation is SMG without a doubt! I think it’s the best of both worlds! I used to have an E46 M3 convertible with SMG, and I loved it. I never had any issues with the E46, and I have never had any issues with the E60 (knock on wood!). When I bought my E46, I was not sure if I made a good decision with the SMG or not, but after owning it for a month or so when I had everything figured out and I got used to it, I was glad I didn’t get the manual. When I bought the E60, I didn’t even have to think about it. I knew what I wanted! I think it’s the only way to go!
Good luck! Let me know if I could be of any help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
V10PWR - Thanks sounds good, I'd really appreciate it if we could met up! Now I just need to find someone with a 6speed, where are you guys at? :) I've driven a few manuals before but have never owned one. It just seems to be more of a fun and personal experience with the car and I feel like it's something I should know how to master as a car enthusiast. I'll also definitely try to get ahold of Scott at BMW North! Will you be going to coffee and cars again next month? It's on March 5th (my birthday)

The invitation is open to ANYONE that wants to go to a track, no matter your experience or what car you drive or plan to bring, let's just all get together as members of the same community and have fun :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am planning on attending on March 5th, however, I might show up towards the end of the event.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wish I could go but in Vietnam until end of March. I've been to both MSR in Angleton (on my motorcycle) and Texas World speedway? in College Station (In my friend 350Z). It is incredibly fun. BMWCCA and other car clubs have track day events and you can join for like $300. Check out the website The Drivers Edge and it will give you track day info in Texas. Good luck if you plan on doing the Mar 5th event. Wish I was there. My car is in the garage on a battery tender and it has not seen any road since Feb 10.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Wish I could go but in Vietnam until end of March. I've been to both MSR in Angleton (on my motorcycle) and Texas World speedway? in College Station (In my friend 350Z). It is incredibly fun. BMWCCA and other car clubs have track day events and you can join for like $300. Check out the website The Drivers Edge and it will give you track day info in Texas. Good luck if you plan on doing the Mar 5th event. Wish I was there. My car is in the garage on a battery tender and it has not seen any road since Feb 10.
Good to hear from you Ron!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Ron, good to hear from you! Be sure to get in touch when you're back in town.

V10PWR (we've met, lets get on a first name basis, what's yours? haha) I won't make it to C&C this Saturday, I don't know if you heard but the location and time changed to off of 45-N at the Lamborghini dealership from 7-9am. I don't feel like driving all the way out there to be in a small parking lot haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
You should join the BMW CCA Houston Chapter. Check out the activities on the Houston BMW CCA web site or on Facebook. We have AutoCross once a month and Track Days regularly.

I would recommend a manual transmission, but there are not many of them around. To me it's just more engaging to drive, and I feel more in control. My wife is driving SMG, and she loves it. Always in manual mode though.
It all depends on your personal preference. But I have to admit - if you're looking for the fastest 0-60 / 0-160 time, the SMG will win. For daily driving pleasure (and long term reliability) - the manual is my preference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

I'll sign up for a 1 year membership and give it a try, do you have a membership number so I can say you referred me?

I really think I'll end up going with a 6speed, I want my daily driving to be more interesting

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
V10PWR (we've met, lets get on a first name basis, what's yours? haha) I won't make it to C&C this Saturday, I don't know if you heard but the location and time changed to off of 45-N at the Lamborghini dealership from 7-9am. I don't feel like driving all the way out there to be in a small parking lot haha
Matt here...I don't think I can make it to C&C by 9!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I really think I'll end up going with a 6speed, I want my daily driving to be more interesting
Be careful with your selection! Manual Transmission and traffic are not good friends! If you drive a manual during the rush our, it will take you 10min to change your mind! Don't get me wrong, I love the manual, but considering the performance, and adding traffic factor influenced my decision although, SMG has it's disadvantages as well!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I thought about traffic for a while and decided I'm not concerned about it, I live inside the loop so I never even really encounter it in the first place. I am scared about parking garages and rolling backwards though :/

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Within a couple of weeks of driving manual transmission, you don't even have to think about what you are doing....your brain and body will adjust to it. It will get to a point that when you drive automatic after a few days, your left foot will reach for the clutch and you will be like... Oh, no clutch! With a slight training, rolling back should be your last concern! By the way, SMG is very similar to manual, and if you let go of break, it will roll back after a few seconds!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts