BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that the only time someone asks for this help is if they have been in an accident, but I had a small accident Friday. A bus kicked up a piece of wood that landed on my passenger front fender. A dent the size of your hand is now there and I need to take care of it.

Anybody here in Houston have a suggested repair location? I was thinking of Momentum BMW West. It will just be either replacing the fender or straightening and repainting it.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
MAH said:
I realize that the only time someone asks for this help is if they have been in an accident, but I had a small accident Friday. A bus kicked up a piece of wood that landed on my passenger front fender. A dent the size of your hand is now there and I need to take care of it.

Anybody here in Houston have a suggested repair location? I was thinking of Momentum BMW West. It will just be either replacing the fender or straightening and repainting it.

Thanks,

Mark
I haven't ever had to deal with repairs on a BMW here so I won't recommend...but stay away from Freedom Paint and Body on N. Shephard. They took almost a year to rebuild my LR Defender 90 and did a lousy job.
I had a good experience...al beit about 8 years ago with a body shop on Wirt (I think) called River Oaks Paint and Body?...if memory serves...it was on an S-Class.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TXE39 said:
I haven't ever had to deal with repairs on a BMW here so I won't recommend...but stay away from Freedom Paint and Body on N. Shephard. They took almost a year to rebuild my LR Defender 90 and did a lousy job.
I had a good experience...al beit about 8 years ago with a body shop on Wirt (I think) called River Oaks Paint and Body?...if memory serves...it was on an S-Class.
Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mark,
I highly recommend Matthew's Auto (www.matthews-auto.com) on the North side. They are a sponsor of the Houston chapter BMWCCA, and Matthew Groner is an avid BMW fan / owner/ autocrosser, etc.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dannyc said:
Mark,
I highly recommend Matthew's Auto (www.matthews-auto.com) on the North side. They are a sponsor of the Houston chapter BMWCCA, and Matthew Groner is an avid BMW fan / owner/ autocrosser, etc.
Danny,

Thank you for the tip. I will check this guy out. Nothing beats personal recommendations.

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Whew! Thanks a lot Mark!!! You gave me an attack :p Thought you might have been the next unlucky board member to get in a terrible accident. What happened to you still is bad though!! Sorry to hear about it!

Got no useful advice, but I'll chew your ear anyway. Just hope they match the color well (I thought they flew in the paint fresh from Germany:hihi: --they mix it from a formula on site, duh)--my M3 bumper needed two different goes at a match--still not perfect. And make sure they put back (and properly attach) all the body part clips and such.

Good luck with the fix and watch out for those Texas sized toothpicks bus passengers toss from their windows--sorry sorry, couldn't resist after all hiha

Anita

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mark-

I have no personal experience, but Matthew's Auto is all over the local BMWCCA events and was therefore an excellent suggestion. I would certainly stay clear of Advantage BMW downtown.

TexasM5

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a visit today to Momentum BMW West. They were very helpful and quite reasonable for the repair estimate. I was sure it would be around $1000. It turns out to be $532.40. This includes blending the paint with the hood and the rest of the fender. They will also take care of most of the rock chips near the front of the car. Not bad. I will probably go ahead and have the Inspection #II done at the same time. I don't need everything in the II inspection, so they can skip over a few things. They are even giving me the insurance rate of $38 hour for labor as opposed to the normal $42 per hour rate.

So far this does not look too bad. If I have both done at the same time I get a loaner car and it takes three days.

Mark

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
No advise, but good luck on the repairs, I hope it all goes wellkinggf

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey Mark,

I had great luck with Mid Town Auto on Wroxton and Kirby near the med center touching up my LMB car and my black Vette. Ask for Ron, they are very reasonable. E-mail me if you need a phone number.

BTW.....will you be able to join us at the dragstrip 4/1/05?

Sanjay
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DoctorV8 said:
Hey Mark,

I had great luck with Mid Town Auto on Wroxton and Kirby near the med center touching up my LMB car and my black Vette. Ask for Ron, they are very reasonable. E-mail me if you need a phone number.

BTW.....will you be able to join us at the dragstrip 4/1/05?

Sanjay
[email protected]
Sanjay,

Thanks for the tip. I will not be able to make it on 4/1. I am going to try and coordinate a larger meet for the Dallas/Houston area for the Hill Country sometime in May. How does that sound?

Mark

·
Registered
959 Posts
MAH said:
Sanjay,

Thanks for the tip. I will not be able to make it on 4/1. I am going to try and coordinate a larger meet for the Dallas/Houston area for the Hill Country sometime in May. How does that sound?

Mark
Sounds good...as of now, I still have the house on Canyon Lake that we can use as a meeting point...

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DoctorV8 said:
Sounds good...as of now, I still have the house on Canyon Lake that we can use as a meeting point...
I will try and set something up for mid-May. I am thinking the 21st of May.

Mark

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No updates yet. Looking for a good weekend in May for all you Texas M5 guys. Let me know what works for most of you.

Mark

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ag02M5 said:
I was talking about the paint work. ;)

But yeah that too.

R
I will be taking it to Momentum BMW West early next week for the fender damage as well as having most of the Inspection II work. I am also having them replace one of the three plastic pieces that cover the enigine from below.

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH said:
I will be taking it to Momentum BMW West early next week for the fender damage as well as having most of the Inspection II work. I am also having them replace one of the three plastic pieces that cover the enigine from below.

Mark
Mark,

Did you get your car back yet? Did they do a nice job? I hope so!

Maybe it's still at the shop because you decided to have your car repainted "Electric Red"--you know, one of the new 3 series colors hiha and I know how much you like all things electric :D :D :D

Speaking of the new 3, last Thurs I saw the new 330i at my local dealership--I don't think it's something you would like--looks like another one of Dr. Chunk-En-Stein Bangle's creations, I'm afraid, at least to me--almost looks like a 5 series with the front wheels moved forward and rear tails lights that got melted upwards or something. And inside, the giant "Start" button is the first thing I noticed--Launch :hihihi: :hihihi: or maybe "Launch This" sorry getting too goofy..

Okay, it's not totally bad--fairly roomy, base price of $36,995, 255hp, 6sp available. Perhaps it's BMW's version of the once popular Ford Taurus ???

Anyway, do you all have the new 3 in the showrooms down there yet? Have you seen one in person? Ours was on loan from a Chicago dealership :haha:

Anita

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got an invite to Advantage Downtown the first Wednesday in May for some party and intro to the new 3. Anyone else going? I figure there'll at least be some free booze there cherrsagai

Ag, sorry you missed us. Everyone left and I think went to Chili's off of I-10. I had to go out of town for the rest of the week so I left (with child and dog in tow) directly from the track.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts