BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yup, I agree with their findings. I do think silver brings out the contours best. AMG has selected their silvers to be the stock colour.

I think I'm going to settle for the new Mineral Silver colour on the M6, should look classy, clean and understated. Haven't worked out the interior yet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M6 Forever,

Looks like you and I are in the same boat.

At first I was all set on Jet Black w/Light colored leather and dark wood trim. Then I went over to the Red w/Black interior and dark wood trim. Now, the Silver Titanium is looking mighty fine with chrome trim and...those dark 'spy-photo' wheels if I can find them.

Your mention of the Silver Titanium having a classy look, which I agree, kinda swung me around.

Just hope the dealers have more than a 1" X 1" swatch with which to make a $100K decision. :hihi:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi CobraJet

Titanium Silver and Mineral Silver are not the same colour, though similar. On the E63, BMW has given us 4 standard shades of grey and silver. Starting from lightest to darkest, they are: Mineral Silver, Titanium Silver, Silver Grey and Stratus Grey. Titanium Silver is the silver colour which we would normally associate “silver” with.

I’ve lined up some real photos below, as I think colour strips from a brochure are misleading:-

1. The Mineral Silver I was referring to; the lightest of the 4 shades.

2. Mineral Silver again. It looks bright under strong sun.

3. A Titanium Silver 645Ci in production line, which is probably what you’re thinking of. You can see it is darker than mineral silver.

4. A Stratus Grey 645Ci. Notice that it could look a little brown when the sun shines on it. Believe me, I saw a stratus grey 645Ci coupe in real life under the midday sun and there were apparent shades of brown.

5. The spy pic of a silver grey M6 with the black spy wheels you were probably referring to. They’re the E60 M5 wheels part finished. I’m going to get the M5 wheels on the M6, as I think the new M6 five spokes are too empty.

6. See the red pic below where a member photo chopped for us the M5 finished wheels. Looks pretty cool right?

I haven’t worked out what the interior combination for Mineral Silver might be. I like cream/beige but that doesn’t provide a strong contrast with the Mineral Silver. One of those little riddles in life that I need to solve, and I’ve got most of this year to work it out

What interior are you thinking of?

CobraJet said:
M6 Forever,

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
1. Here's a better Silver Grey picture (For some reason I had trouble uploading it with the collection above).

2. Another Titanium Silver.

These two are similar, best to think of silver grey as "grey" and titanium silver as "silver".

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
The new Silverstone is another kind of silver offered for the M6. It's totally different to the old bluish looking Silverstone that was offered for the E39 M5; it's more reminiscent to Titanium Silver. On Jan. 25th I make my visit to the BMW M GmbH in Garching. Maybe I can get a closer look at the new Silverstone there and take some pictures. I am not so convinced of Silvergray any more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry Gustav,
it isn't allowed to take some photos insite the M GmbH Area. :crying:

Silverstone II has much more metall (i thing it was aluminium) in the colour.
Its looking more like metall, like any other paint.

Quote from m-forum.de
This color stop according to product manager of the E60 M5 the largest Aluminium/metallic portion a lacquer to carry can. In the sunlight one could do mine goes past there an aluminum car

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes, I forgot to mention the new Silverstone II colour. It seems a more superior finish to the Titanium Silver.

This proves that silver and its shades are indeed very popular, as per the article of this thread!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
M6 Forever said:
Those wheels are the standard Ellipsoid design, style numeber 121, 19 inches.
M6 Forever,

:eek:h: Doh!

I replied in the wrong spot.

I'll pay more attention. zzzzz

·
Registered
267 Posts
CobraJet said:
M6 Forever,

At first I was all set on Jet Black w/Light colored leather and dark wood trim. Then I went over to the Red w/Black interior and dark wood trim. Now, the Silver Titanium is looking mighty fine with chrome trim and...those dark 'spy-photo' wheels if I can find them.

Your mention of the Silver Titanium having a classy look, which I agree, kinda swung me around.

Just hope the dealers have more than a 1" X 1" swatch with which to make a $100K decision. :hihi:
I, too was going black (either Jet or Sapphire) based on only the one 645 coupe I could find in a showroom. After stalling on my assigned slot waiting for HUD I saw a couple of Black 6er coupes on the road. I found they lost all the subtle lines I found so attractive on the 6er in the first place. Then my dealer called to show me a Stratus Gray 6er. It was sitting next to a Silver Gray 3 series. That did it for me - Silver Gray. and now its on da boat heading my way.

But for the M I may have to go Red. I am a sucker for reds in general, but the Chiaretto in the 645 series was not Red enough. They have fixed that in the M, at least for me. I can be more patient now that I will be in the base model and take my time to see the real thing (no swatches) before committing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
cobradav said:
I, too was going black (either Jet or Sapphire) based on only the one 645 coupe I could find in a showroom. After stalling on my assigned slot waiting for HUD I saw a couple of Black 6er coupes on the road. I found they lost all the subtle lines I found so attractive on the 6er in the first place. Then my dealer called to show me a Stratus Gray 6er. It was sitting next to a Silver Gray 3 series. That did it for me - Silver Gray. and now its on da boat heading my way.

But for the M I may have to go Red. I am a sucker for reds in general, but the Chiaretto in the 645 series was not Red enough. They have fixed that in the M, at least for me. I can be more patient now that I will be in the base model and take my time to see the real thing (no swatches) before committing.
Post some pics when you can, please!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I first saw a 645 in Mineral Silver indoors (at a new car show, Spring 2004) and was surprised that it looked like a pale gold. The following day I took a test drive in the same car and was again surprised that in the sunlight the color appeared very different - almost totally silver. In shade, sitting next to a silver or gray BMW it does appear to have a tinge of gold and its definitely not a true silver. Moral of the story, different lighting, different color.

I have been on the lookout at the local dealership for a Stratus Gary 645 as that is what I ordered for July 2005 European Delivery and it seems to be the color that was used in a lot of the factory publicity shots (but I have no way to tell for sure). A couple of weeks ago one came in and I was bummed, it looked like a dull gun metal blue/gray sitting under an overhanging roof. I had them pull the car out into the (partly cloudly) sunlight, and boy did it ever change! Looks great in the sun, but sort of funky/dark/non-descript in the shade. You could see gold undertones when its in sunlight. Like Mineral Silver, its a color that changes with the light. Having seen it in the sunlight (where I plan to do most of my driving), I've confirmed that its the color for me since I can't get Indy Red until the M6's show up next year

Now if I can just get the chrome trim with the Sport package...

cobradav said:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Richard in NC said:
I really liked Mineral Silver on a 645Ci I saw in Indianapolis. It had a tinge of gold in sunlight (but washed out in a picture) and more character than Titanium Silver. Here is a link to a picture I took at dusk.
http://hobbystage.net/bmw/media.cgi?site=rdaugher&folder=*&group=1&page=*&id=1087872270-002721
They had a mineral silver 645 at the auto show here in Cincinnati. I think that's my color - it really is striking, and does have a very slight sand or gold color to it. It will also be a great dirt color. Now, what interiors would match?????

1 - 20 of 29 Posts