BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was stuck in rush hour traffic today on my way home from Washington, DC. The temperature reading on the OBC was 117F. The oil temp stayed below 210, the water temp was right at 12 o'clock, and the AC was cool enough to keep beer cold. Great car in the heat.

An hour later I went thru a storm front and the OBC temp dropped 43F to 74.

Steve
//00 M5

PS: I wouldn't even remotely consider starting one of my Porsches in weather like this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That sounds like psycho Arizona weather!
Glad to hear they can handle the extremes in strides!

·
Registered
138 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
I was stuck in rush hour traffic today on my way home from Washington, DC. The temperature reading on the OBC was 117F. The oil temp stayed below 210, the water temp was right at 12 o'clock, and the AC was cool enough to keep beer cold. Great car in the heat.

An hour later I went thru a storm front and the OBC temp dropped 43F to 74.

Steve
//00 M5
No kidding, I had the same thing yesterday, driving home registered 118F and all temps were within normal ranges and an ice cold A/C...hate the weather in this are but don't mind it so much when I'm in the beast!

:cheers:

Sean

·
Registered
992 Posts
Highest I have seen on the dash is 122 degrees. And I had good A/C too!

My wife told me yesterday that in her Escalade, the NAV/RADIO unit had a message on it that said the unit was outside of it's operating temperature and shut off. Once things cooled down a bit, it came back with a message saying, Ok, the radio is now functioning again and came back on...

Do we have temp sensors in our NAV units?

·
Registered
396 Posts
In CO we have had seceral 100 degree days (hot for us) and the M5's AC is simply the best I have ever experienced -most of the time the fan is on th lowest setting.

·
Registered
312 Posts
One of the many differences between the MINI and the Beast is how they handle heat - in the Beast, we can have the AC running full tilt (ummmmm. . . nice!) with no apparent impairment to the power. In the MINI, the AC must get shut off in order to get any semblence of power on a standing start / acceleration.

Normally, not too big of a deal, but this was quite uncomfortable last Sunday when we were on a MINI dealer-sponsored road tour (65 MINIs, 125 mile drive through upper Illinois and lower Wisconsin) - I think we peaked out at 105 degrees / 118 with heat index. blech.

On the bright side, we're panning on running the same route this Sunday in the Beast - now that will be fun! (anyone want to join us???)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It's been my experience that the size of the engine has a lot to do with how well the car handles AC in heat without sacrificing to much power. Not only can power drop way off, but my engine changes notes, and I find it much harder to be smoother in. As a result, I only run AC when its a must. I'm a window guy.

Travis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts