BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I am working on getting my "new" 5 transported from Terre Haute IN to Boise ID...It has been a hellish experience to say the least. The first company that went to pick it up was supposed to pick it up, never did. So on to todays pick up...The trucker gets there and on his truck is nothing but salvaged vehicles. The gut I purchased from is an avid car collector and takes VERY good care of his cars.

The semi had 8 spots on it, 7 full. So this was going to be loaded on the back. They were about 2 feet short on their hauler, so basically they wanted the *** end to hang off and strap it in. The seller(who is an attorney and a very good guy) demanded that they remove the car from the trailor immediately! The drivers didn't speak a lick of English and acted as if they didn't understand.

Finally he was able to communicate that they needed to take the car off or he was calling the police. Like I stated before this car has been so well taken care of! It is(was) basically a brand new car with 50,000 miles on it. They started to remove it and it "fell" off the trailor, being held by one front wheel. They were able to get it down with no apparent damage but the seller is going to put it on the hoist tomorrow to inspect. He did notice that the front bumper is blemished due to them trying to squeeze it so tightly to the car in front of it. Luckily he took before load pics and after load pics as well as pictures of the whole spectacle which he will be e-mailing to me tonight and I will post as soon as received.

So with that being said, as of now there is no major damage to the vehicle. One thing that I am concerned about is that the car was running for an hour and a half or so while on an incline while they were trying to load it. Should I be worried about this? Where is the oil pick-up located? In the rear or in the front? I know its not good to keep a car at idle this long regardless!!

Sorry if this post seems jumbled or doesnt make sense. I am beyond pissed and my blood is boiling as I write this:mad:

Thanks for letting me vent and any info on the idling will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. Car should be fine. Hop on a plane and go pick it up and drive it home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I think its coming down to. Its a 1,700 mile trip and I work M-F..Would be pushing it (27 hours) but it could be done.I sure hope its ok.

·
Registered
142 Posts
what is the name of this shipping company because i am planning to ship a m5 next week and now i am very worried

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one that didn't show up was Victory Transport and the one today was St. Trucking..Are yu going through a broker or directly to the source. According to the guy I'm buying from who has shipped and had many cars shipped to him with no problems recommends Exotic Auto Transport, Reliable and Passport. I was going through a broker and wish I would have heeded his advice and went straight to one of these companys, although slightly more expensive..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thats what I think its coming down to. Its a 1,700 mile trip and I work M-F..Would be pushing it (27 hours) but it could be done.I sure hope its ok.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

When I bought my car I picked it up in California and drove it 2,000 miles back to Minnesota. Left on Friday afternoon and I was back home late Sunday night. Bring a co-driver and 1,700 will be completely doable, if you decide just to pick it up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gustav-Pics will be up ASAP. From talking with the seller he said hes never seen anything like this in his years of experience shipping/receiving cars. Almost afraid to open his e-mail when it arrives :confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
i'm using national car transport they quoted best price from ok to champlain ny 1700 miles 875$ hope i have no complications

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm using national car transport they quoted best price from ok to champlain ny 1700 miles 875$ hope i have no complications
Honestly if I were to start over and do this again i WOULD NOT go off of price. IMO theres a reason why some are cheaper. I would go with the most reputable company thats used to shipping exotic/luxury cars. I would do some good research on that company.

Check out this link National Car Transport - 3 Stars out of 5 - Transport Reviews.com - Your Auto Transport Information Source. View Reviews, Ratings and Rankings of Auto Transporters.

If I were you I'd second guess that decision...1/3 bad reviews is enough to detract me. Although I am very bitter at the moment??????

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
My drive was over 2000 miles to get my beast home and I wouldn't have done it differently even though the first day was driving in a blizzard!

Best of luck to you in getting it home safely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My drive was over 2000 miles to get my beast home and I wouldn't have done it differently even though the first day was driving in a blizzard!

Best of luck to you in getting it home safely.
Thats definitely what I'm leaning towards now. That was my plan initially, but then you have the dad that worries about you driving in the crazy midwest weather this year and offers to pay for the shipping of the car if you don't do the drive..Sorry dad but after this ordeal, thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Don't skimp on the shipping fee. Truckers make bids off a bulletin board, if you low ball the price, it will never get picked up as scheduled, transported as secure or delivered as planned. Steer clear of companies that compensate their customers for positive reviews. The M5 is relatively high maintenance, you will soon learn this after ownership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry about this accident, really now a days people are becoming very mean. We have to take care about each and every thing....All the best for future.
Thanks for sharing this wid us so that in future we will be alert.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Low bid I assume? Uncovered?

Only ship with a company that runs their own truck.

I wholeheartedly agree with fly out and drive home. No vacation days, holidays? Can't get out on Friday afternoon? Pretty easy drive in 48 hours

·
Registered
720 Posts
Transporters make a lot more money moving salvaged cars. If you don't have the time to drive it back, pay the extra to ship it enclosed. That will make a huge difference. Horseless Carriage is the best I have ever dealt with, but expensive. Good luck with it, and I hope nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Don't skimp on the shipping fee. Truckers make bids off a bulletin board, if you low ball the price, it will never get picked up as scheduled, transported as secure or delivered as planned.
This is true for 97% of the companies, who are actually just brokers. There are a few - very few - companies that deal directly with the consumer, so that you call them and it is the same company that takes your money, schedules the truck and the driver and delivers the car.

bboulan said:
According to the guy I'm buying from who has shipped and had many cars shipped to him with no problems recommends Exotic Auto Transport, Reliable and Passport.
I just had my car shipped with Passport. There was a delay getting it scheduled and then the truck was down for repairs and then there was another ^%^S#[email protected] blizzard but once they picked up the car it got here relatively quickly and in pristine condition. They were very expensive, but I wanted an enclosed trailer and I didn't want some bozo picking up the car and then dropping it off at a depot for some other truck to pick up (some shippers will do this).

If the weather cooperates and you have the time, I recommend driving as well, but if not, go with enclosed transport if Dad's paying for it!

Oh - and kudos to the seller for what he did.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Thats definitely what I'm leaning towards now. That was my plan initially, but then you have the dad that worries about you driving in the crazy midwest weather this year and offers to pay for the shipping of the car if you don't do the drive..Sorry dad but after this ordeal, thanks but no thanks.

I hear you man loud and clear. My wife was the one who was worried about me driving by myself so I ended up buying my dad a plane ticket to come with me and I even let him drive the car a little bit too on the way home! He almost got a speeding ticket lol.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Seriously go pick it up on a Friday.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
FedEx ships cars too.

:cool2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts