BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't know if you guys are aware of this but, know some of you cross post on 6speedonline.com. Being in the same entusiast community thought I would pass this horrible horrible news on. Ben Keaton and his passenger passed today in a fatal accident.........

From 6speedonline RIP BEN

From Pelican Parts---RIP BEN

According to what I read on pelican parts and 6speedonline, a ferrari was let onto the track on a long straightaway while Ben was traveling at 150mph+, he came on the car quickly and had to swirve to avoid the car, lost control and hit the retaining wall. Apprently the impact was such that the wall moved 4-6 feet. The passenger compartment was intact in looking at the pics but the shear g forces were what ultimately caused the fatalities. The passenger was doa, the driver, Ben lj, was flown by helicopter to the hospital and prounounced dead before he arrived. The passenger was apparently a guy interested in purchasing a Carrera GT and Ben took him for a ride in his car.

This really is a sad sad day. He is survived by a wife and newborn daughter. I can't believe it even as I have read it over and over again. So sad............

I am not going to post the pics on this site out of respect, but, for those interested, here is a link to the news piece and pictures

NBC 4 News of the accident and pictures of the wreck

Lou

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: HORRIBLE TRAGEDY..Carrera GT fatality this morning, 6speed member Ben Keaton (ben lj)

Very sad news.

May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: HORRIBLE TRAGEDY..Carrera GT fatality this morning, 6speed member Ben Keaton (ben lj)

Moved to post above

·
Registered
4,246 Posts

OMG, this is a terrible tradgedy(sp). While I did not know him well, I have exchanged many words with him through 6speed and he was always kind and willing to share his experiences with the CGT. My thoughts and prayers are with all involved and their familes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

What a horrible trajedy. My thoughts and prayers go to his wife and daughter. I took notice of him on ferrarichat.com.. he always had a wit about his posts.

Pic slideshow from NBC 4

·
Registered
445 Posts

my condolences. Very sad news indeed.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Re: HORRIBLE TRAGEDY..Carrera GT fatality this morning, 6speed member Ben Keaton (ben

Guys.

Even if you don't know him, don't dismiss this accident.... Do your loved ones a favor and read on through:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=224465&perpage=20&highlight=ben&pagenumber=2

The dimensions of this little tragedy will last a life time for many. Wife, Daughter, Passenger's family, track marshall, ferrari driver and passenger....

May all the families involved heal as best they can.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sad news, my best to his family and friends, Josh

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've seen Ben and his car at Crystal Cove a few times. I never had a chance to speak to him but he seemed very likeable. Such a terrible loss for both familys and the enthusiast community here in so cal. Prayers and condolences.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
Wow. Terrible.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The hotter the car, the harder it is to control. Best wishes to his family and all of those involved. The track is a safe place to find limits, but it can bite you. Such a sad story...
:cheers:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow. Such a shame. From my limited browsing on the Porsche boards he seemed to be a valued member and nice guy.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Tragic news.:crying2: My condolences to the families.

·
Registered
463 Posts
very, very sad. horrible loss for the families.

can't help but thinking that a 200mph supercar should have something more than 3-point belts. the chalk talk at the last CCA event I attended focused on the latest thinking in belts, race seats, the HANS device, etc. among other things, I learned that even 5-point belts are less than ideal; 6-point belts can do a much better job preventing submarining if installed properly. apparently, SCCA did a symposium on this stuff last year and has a DVD of it. I was already planning to get a copy. I think it would be valuable information for anyone with more than a passing interest in going to the track.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you for sharing this Lou. Even though I live only 25 miles from Fontana, I had not heard about this. It is very sad. My sympathy to the families and all those involved.
Alfred

·
Registered
396 Posts
May God be with this family and their friends in this time of unfathomable loss.

Steve

·
Registered
283 Posts
What a horrible loss.
My condolences to the families and friends...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts