BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired my 2001 M5 and love everything about the car. It does everything my C43 AMG did but better. My only complaint is the cupholders. They suck. I have twice dumped my coffee into my lap with these damned things. Anyone have reccomendations to how they get drinks to stay put?

·
Registered
116 Posts
jhendershaw said:
I recently aquired my 2001 M5 and love everything about the car. It does everything my C43 AMG did but better. My only complaint is the cupholders. They suck. I have twice dumped my coffee into my lap with these damned things. Anyone have reccomendations to how they get drinks to stay put?
I don't use the cup holders for the same reason but I know of a lot of 5 series owners that really like these http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

--Mike

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
it's the ultimate driving machine not the ultimate cupholding machine, try not taking coffe with you, you dont' need it when doing 150mph and heel toe'n. :typing: :eek: hiha :byee55amg cherrsagai :byebye: :7:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Common complaint re the M5. Check out he TIC cupholders, well worth the money. The rear cupholders suck, too. I just don't let backseat passengers drink anything.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think Murph meant the TEC cupholder, which can be found at tecaccessories.com or at certain BMW dealers.

Although many people here swear by the TEC cupholder, my vote is for the Ultimatecupholders for the following reasons:
1. You can have 2 cupholders instead of 1;
2. The cupholders don't get in the way of the sliding armrest or your shifting action; and
3. The cupholders keep the center console neat and clean because they're essentially hidden from view (but not from your hands) even when in use.

Murph said:
Common complaint re the M5. Check out he TIC cupholders, well worth the money. The rear cupholders suck, too. I just don't let backseat passengers drink anything.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I have the best of both worlds: Both a TEC and an Ultimate.

I have the ulitmate on the passenger side, so no passing items by my knee. The TEC is nice when I want to have the beverage close, the ultimate nice for larger containers or very spirited driving.

Also, it gives two holders in the event a passenger is allowed to have a drink..

You might call TEC and ask if they have any 'cosmetic seconds'... save a few $ and there is not a thing I could detect.

BTW, the TEC has a laser etched logo (TEC) in the base- the BMW sold version has a stamped BMW imprint.

A

·
Registered
312 Posts
jhendershaw said:
I have a few kid's "sippy cups" around the house for when we have guests with little ones. . . I'd be happy to send one to you!:1:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Recommend the Ultimate Cupholders. Reasons are already given in above posts. An additional reason is that they are easily removed and moved to another vehilce.
Don't even attempt to use the OEM cupholders -- it isn't worth the effort -- they won't hold anything.
Seems to me I read somewhere that cupholders are not viewed in Europe as an essential item as they are here in the USA. Don't know if that is true, but would account for what BMW put in their cars.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Maybe its because I have only had the car for about a year, but I am still far to involved with the whole M5 driving experience to corrupt it with a cup of anything. Heck, I even make it a point to turn off the phone while I'm driving the car. As far as passengers go, I adhere to the principal of, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
phinnbillM5 said:
Seems to me I read somewhere that cupholders are not viewed in Europe as an essential item as they are here in the USA. .
I bought a Q45 in 1990- not a single cupholder.. BUT there was a cigarette lighter up front AND TWO IN THE BACK, in each door with an ashtray.

Just more proof that the Infiniti org was a 'bit' out of touch with the american buyer.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My local stealer has a saying for the rear cupholders... They call it the the two kick cup holder... The first kick opens it and the second kick breaks it off. It was a little humorous when some ladies kids had just broke one off in the showroom display.

·
Registered
38 Posts
**** right - before buying my car I checked out 4 other M5's and in every one the cupholders were broken! I'll have to look at that site. Should I include 'upgraded cupholders' in the car modifications on my home page???hiha

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
phinnbillM5 said:
Seems to me I read somewhere that cupholders are not viewed in Europe as an essential item as they are here in the USA. Don't know if that is true, but would account for what BMW put in their cars.
What are cupholders? hiha If those wimpy things BMW puts on their cars really held a BIG GULP it would only be in the way for those power shifts. :eek:
With regard to the importance of cupholders in German, if I discount the American Military Personnel on their way to work, I rarely see drivers with drinks on the autobahn.

Want fresh java?

That's what the Cafe / Bristo / Tanksteller is for.

Stop and smell the roses and have a good brew (that could even be an adult drink), but on the road, it is all business.

Oh and while we are looking at differences in Euro spec cars and US, it is not uncommon to have electric windows in the front only, kids and passengers in the back row your own. :(

Ken

·
Registered
266 Posts
those have to be the worst cupholders ever. I've dumped everything from large drinks to 40 oz smoothies all over my car. shampoo after shampoo after shampoo. i would like to slap whoever designed those things. everycar needs at least one good cupholder. everytime i buy a drink and realize I drove my m5 instead of one of my other cars i want to kick myself. I have cursed those things so many times until i can only get mad at myself and get this, now one of them is broken and wont close. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!! I just want to rip them out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts