BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So happy to hear that the new huge increases in VEL duty will only apply to April 2001 registrations.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Indeed. I am counting my lucky stars too.

For our US brothers...

In the UK we pay a yearly road tax. You stick the bit of paper that says you have paid in the window - get caught without one and its big fines.

For cars registered before March 2001 with a capacity bigger than 1300cc it is £185 a year.
New taxes starting next month are raising this to £445 a year and this will apply to top bracket cars, (M3's, M5's, Imprezas etc).
A topic that gets us Brits a bit emotional.

Im sure nothing will happen but it only takes 2 seconds to do.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/UNFAIR-VED/

·
Registered
241 Posts
wow. that's not cheap. kind of funny that an impreza is considered a top bracket car though.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Jan 2001 registration for me, just squeak in, IIRC a 2 litre diesel Mondeo will cost more to tax than a pre March 2001 M5 :1:

The government are living in another world....

Encourage people to drive cleaner more environmentally better cars ?? :dunno:

Why would you when it's cheaper to tax, and proabably insure an older muscle car than a modern Jap / Korean "Noddy" car....:M5launch:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Indeed. I am counting my lucky stars too.

For our US brothers...

In the UK we pay a yearly road tax. You stick the bit of paper that says you have paid in the window - get caught without one and its big fines.

For cars registered before March 2001 with a capacity bigger than 1300cc it is £185 a year.
New taxes starting next month are raising this to £445 a year and this will apply to top bracket cars, (M3's, M5's, Imprezas etc).
A topic that gets us Brits a bit emotional.
Damn, and I thought my annual car licence (as we call road tax here) in SA of £30 for the //M5 was a lot:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Um, thats a crazy number. $900 for your reg? What letter are you all on now by way?

You are going the way of Singapore.

Soon they will turn Wales into a National Park.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's nothing. In Belgium we are taxed on engine capacity (or fiscal power whichever is higher)... This results in an annual tax of around USD 3.200, so each year again... (Road tax)

If we want to register a new car with an fiscal power higher then 18 ( E39 M5 is 24) we pay the maximum fee. The amount to register a car like the M5 is a approximately USD 7.900,00. (Reg fee)

This is offcourse a one-off payment but needs to be paid EVERY time the car has to be registered again (eg: if you sell the car). This amount decreases as from the 4th year until it is something like USD 90 in the 18th year of the car.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wow...

Is there is a difference if you do the transaction in the Dutch half. I would expect a discount.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine is registered in Feb 2001 so i just escape too. My parents 2004 2.0 litre VW Passat costs more to tax than my M5 :7:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I just escaped too. Jan 2001 so I pay about £40 a year more for my M5 than on my fiancees Focus 1.6. This must be the first time I've ever been on the receiving end of good fortune from our wonderful government....

M5Piojo, you have my sympathies:sad2:

·
Registered
302 Posts
On the flip side, the London congestion charge zone is now £25 for me as they have a similar scheme to the Road Tax rules except that they use engine size for cars before Mar 2001.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are we sure on this

Hi - just loooking at the information on the DVLA site it would appear that the massive tax hike on top-band cars post March 2001 - details here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524
only applies to cars registered on or after 23/03/06 (which none of our e39 M5's should be). A quick on-line check of the tax for my May 2001 registered car (shortly up for renewal), revealed the tax to be £210 - i.e. the car seems to fall into the lower band F. It's not very clear however I think my assumptions are right. Any other views?:confused:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts