BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please do me a favor? As part of the collision repair, a new underhood insulation pad was installed. Can anyone tell me if that pad is unique to the M5? I couldn't remember if the original pad had something M-specific stamped on it.

Thanks for looking :cheers:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone - is there an ///M logo or anything like that on the insulation? I don't remember.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gang, that's what I was looking for. It must have been another car I was thinking about - maybe my old SHO.

Imagine that - no punchlist items for the bodyshop lovelove

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beamer_usa said:
Nope no M logo on mine
Why doesn't the aftermarket pick up on this - an M-logo relief-style would look cool under the hood :cool2:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just vacuumed mine...yes I must be warped...no logo to be found. Great idea though.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Why doesn't the aftermarket pick up on this - an M-logo relief-style would look cool under the hood :cool2:
From the heat of the motor, it would probably get all warped and look like sh*t after a while. Cool idea though:cool:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
M Macht said:
I just vacuumed mine...yes I must be warped...no logo to be found. Great idea though.
Yes Nick, really warped. hiha

While I keep mine clean too, I don't want it so clean the marters (German Weasel that loves BMW plastic and other fine parts) think it's just another cracker. mmmmmm

Before the M, they visited my 99 E39 and snacked away to the tune of €350. Since then I let a 'little' dirt build up to discourage snacking for those times the beast isn't in the garage. :crying:
Ken

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Bill,

I thought you were in Mod mode again and were going to dispense with it.

The M3 CSL, has it stripped away for weight savings.

I thought about it. It would be fine by me to increase engine noise. :D

I heard someone say that it was filled with fire extinguishing stuff, so that if the motor catches fire, it falls down and supposedly extinguishes the fire. Sounds a little wired/weird to me. :confused:

Also I was a little concerned if the added heat would effect to paint on the hood. But if the M3 CSL is fine, the Beast should be fine?

MJ

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I can hear it now - "With the new special M5 underhood insulation pad, we measured an additional 6HP at the rear wheels on the dyno"! :1:

The thought never hurts.

Mark

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MIB said:
Hey Bill,

I thought you were in Mod mode again and were going to dispense with it.

The M3 CSL, has it stripped away for weight savings.

I thought about it. It would be fine by me to increase engine noise. :D

I heard someone say that it was filled with fire extinguishing stuff, so that if the motor catches fire, it falls down and supposedly extinguishes the fire. Sounds a little wired/weird to me. :confused:

Also I was a little concerned if the added heat would effect to paint on the hood. But if the M3 CSL is fine, the Beast should be fine?

MJ
Mark - Never really was out of Mod-mode! But you raise some very good points, several I had not considered hmmm

Cheers mate cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
MIB said:
Hey Bill,

MJ
My salesman told me that as well. Also, the plastic rivets that hold the insulation to the hood melt at a relatively low temp to allow it to drop and smother the fire.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Richard in NC said:
My salesman told me that as well. Also, the plastic rivets that hold the insulation to the hood melt at a relatively low temp to allow it to drop and smother the fire.
Hey Richard,

I think its just salesman with too much time on their hands to make up stories. I could believe that its Sound insulation. A Fire blanket is a bit of a stretch. But who knows.

It sounds as feesable as a Comment I got when I inquired about the amount of Orange peel effect on the vehicles.

We do Timber floors, and have to stand in the floor when rolling on the polish, (Two Pak- Polyurethane).

Our clients will not accept Orange peel finish in their clear coat. Even on a $1K job.

Our cars are $200K Plus, and we have to take it bending over that Orange peel is NORMAL.

It is not normal. But they will tell you some B.S. like, it makes the coat stronger.

I talked to a spray painter once, and he laughed his head off when I told him this. He said what a great one. He asked could he use that next time one of his guys screwed up a finish. hiha

It's B.S. Just automation cannot do it as good as we can by hand.

I've checked out quite a few Ferrari's as well, and some of those were shocking.

I have an eye for that sought of thing. hmmm

Hey MAH, its only the limited addition mats that HAD the "M" Badge on them from BMW Individual that give the addional 6 HP. ;)

MJ

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
MIB said:
MJ
I've heard the same, must be some truth to it

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just for fun, I went out and took mine off tonight and went out for a spin.

With the windows shut it's just a little louder above 4k rpms, and gets noticeably louder above 6k rpms. I found myself running it to just under redline because it sounded so sweet!

I think I'll leave it off for a while........:hihi:

Any one else wanna try it?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Richard in NC said:
How can you tell a BMW salesman is lying?

His lips move...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts