BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving on the highway today my BMW hood badge delaminated and flew off. Now I'm left with the silver circular badge without a decal. Anyone have experience replacing the hood badge?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Yes i have replaced my hood badge and trunk...fairly easy...
While driving on the highway today my BMW hood badge delaminated and flew off. Now I'm left with the silver circular badge without a decal. Anyone have experience replacing the hood badge?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
It has happened multiple times on other BMWs of mine. (Not on the m5, though.)

The "jolt" of a slamming hood is the most likely cause. (I should say multiple slamming hoods.)

The replacement is inexpensive, and easy to install. The difficult part is removing the old Roundel.

It is held in place by two rubber grommets (buy two of them as well), and the only way I have figured out how to remove the old one, is to use a small flat blade screwdriver AND PROTECT THE BODY FINISH WITH A RAG. (Masking tape may work.) The problem is getting the blade under the Roundel.

Actually, there may be another way ... I just tought of it while writing the above. Drill a small hole in the center of the old Roundel. Pull out with a hook device. It is just held in place by two rubber grommets gripping two "stubs" on the back of the Roundel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Oh man if I was a car behind you, I wouldve been laughing my *** off if I saw your badge fly off :hihi:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Find the thinnest screwdriver possible and wrap the tip w/ electrical tape to avoid scratching the paint. Be sure to be VERY patient as it's easy to slip and scratch the paint. It may even help to use 2 thin screwdrivers. While you are at it, replace the rear if it's cracking/worn.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I used tooth thread? to remove the roundel: Doubled it up and see-sawed it under the roundel. Got it up after a few tries. A thin screwdriver can easily dent the paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts

happend to my 01 540i, I took it the dealer and watched them remove the silver badge with some flat plastic 'tape' (not sticky). the kind you see wrapped around large boxes for support for shipping or transport.

he basically slipped the plastic tape underneath the badge, worked it as close to the middle as possible, then pulled up on the ends in his hands. it popped right off. (he did have to pull pretty hard)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks,
Where can I buy replacements?
BMW Part #s?
Bavauto.com sells the replacement emblems and I believe has instructions on website to remove/install. I used old credit cards to slide under and remove. I believe replacements are $10-$12 each. Good Luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bavauto.com sells the replacement emblems and I believe has instructions on website to remove/install. I used old credit cards to slide under and remove. I believe replacements are $10-$12 each. Good Luck.
Actually the hood is $34. The grommets are $.95 each and shipping to NW NJ is $7.95

1 - 11 of 11 Posts