BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but couldn't find one so can someone point me in the direction of a good honest shop that works on BMW's in NJ preferably in the central area? Looking for someone who has E39 experience if possible.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Warning: LONG

I had heard very good things about Motor Werks west (in Wychoff NJ) from other folks. I was excited to hear that the previous owner got all of his work there but I had a questionable experience during the PPI process and I leave it up to you to decide if they are trust worthy.

The previous owner was a shipping captain and was at sea 102 days at a time (every 90 days). The car was parked for months at a time since 2003 (6700 miles). When he returned from his most recent trip in 2010 he decided to sell the car. About a months after he decided to sell, the car started running strange and had a check engine light. He took the car to his usual place, Motor Werks West where they found multiple misfires as a result of moisture being sucked in due to the same old "brake booster" issue. The car also needed a thremostat and thrust bushings.
He gave a go ahead for the work. I responded to his for sale ad around the same time the car was at Motor Werks West. We negotiated a price dependent on PPI not coming back with an unusual issues. His bill at Motor Werks was already over $2500 and he wasn't willing to budge anymore on the price of a 1 owner 2002 with 64K miles.
I spent a day looking for/researching BMW Indy shops in NJ and received multiple Kudos for Motor Werks west (also a Dinan approved facility).
I called MW and asked for their detailed ($150) PPI. They came back with Center link needing replacement, diff weeping and front rotors needing replacement in 3-6 months. I asked why the car was currently in the shop and they responded with "It needed a new brake booster and Thermostat". I asked if the car needed an oil change and I was told "no". Being the anal person that I am, I decided to ask them to change the oil so I can take a fresh start.

Long story short, I picked the car up a week later and was handed a folder of receipts. On the way back, I noticed that the service indicator only had 2 greens which seemed odd as the car just had an oil change. I called and was told that they forgot to reset the indicator.

Once home, I read through all the receipts only to find out that they never told me that the brake booster issue actually caused misfires due to moisture. They inspected the oil and did not find enough water evidence to warrant an oil drain.
I sent my oil (with 1400 miles per Motor Werks) in to Blackstone labs for analysis and the results came back with "same wear elements as seen at 5000+ mile oil".

My conclusion is that they withheld information while being paid by me for a PPI regarding the brake booster issue, they did not change the oil but charged me for it.
I cannot prove any of it and I have tried my level best to report as honestly as I can. If I was in NJ, I wouldn't be going back to them. They did not do anything illegal or even unethical. It was border line questionable but I figured I should share as they have a good reputation, which I am now old was all built by the two main M5 guys who have since left the shop and opened another one of their own.

Sorry about the long post, hope it helps

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
All of the top people at Motor Works West left and established Northeast Motorsports a couple of years ago. Mike O'Neil and Al Wilson at Northeast Motorsports in Mahwah, NJ, phone (201) 485-7800, are the premier E39 M5 techs in New Jersey if not the East Coast and are completely forthright, honest and fair. My car means a lot to me (duh), and they are the only techs to whom I entrust it. The same is true for Kelster, RoundelM5, Mikeoski and many, many other boardmembers.

--Peter

·
Registered
962 Posts
+1 for Mike and Al at Northeast Motorsports...truly some of the best in the business, especially with the E39 M5. I've yet to even hear of someone else in NY to PA area who has 1/2 as much experience with the E39 M5.

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,698 Posts
There's a small shop at Monmouth Executive Airport in Belmar called Mr M Car. The guy's name is Don and he definitely knows his stuff. That said, he isn't always the fastest to get a job done since it is just him and one other guy. I've had some work done there, and have been happy with it. The hanger there is filled with M cars, its pretty sweet just to check out. His number is 732-919-2299

·
Registered
962 Posts
Where are you in Central NJ?

Shade Tree Garage in Morristown, NJ is reasonable. I wouldn't call them the best M-shop but a good all around shop that knows BMW. Phil Eng knows the E39 M5 reasonably well.
http://www.shadetreegarage.com/

·
Registered
197 Posts
Anybody have any recent experience with Northeast Motorsports or Motor Werks West. Time to replace the thermostat.
Honestly after seeing/hearing about the ordeal of Northeast Motorsports and Dinan S3 # 24, I don't think I'd ever go there.

I know you're up in the Morristown area, I go to this shop often for small things (just had the mustang there for two tires.)

https://newvernoncoach.com/

I read good things about this shop on Ferrarichat a couple of years ago and decided to try it out as I was living in Mendham at the time. The owner, Steve is a real old school type mechanic, straight shooter. I've also watched him work and he's very methodical and proper in how he works. They always have a ton of exotics in the lot so I don't see your z8 being an issue. I brought my M5 here in the spring for a state inspection. I've always had good experiences at New Vernon Coach & Motor Works.

I'm looking into bimmerclinic for an alignment sometime this fall on my m5, read tons of good reviews about this place and a fellow m5 owner who is a BMW technician at a dealer a friend of mine works at suggested this place.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a bunch of work done there and never had a problem. Recently did a bunch of maintenance, ssk and all new shifter bushings, rear diff seal, fuel pump. I will continue to use them. I also had work done when I first got my car a couple years ago at Motor works west. They did an inspection after I got the car and installed Dinan monoballs. They were fine. I like northeast and will continue to go there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guten parts is another great shop. They are located in south orange. They did work on my e30.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts