BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
At 16 I was wrenching on my first set of headers on a 90 GT 5.0, thinking that 225 hp was fast. I would have wrapped an M5 around a pole probably.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was 17 when I had a head-on collision while street racing in an 88 RX7 GXL. So yeah, if I had 507hp instead of 160hp I probably wouldn't be typing this post right now. Oh yeah, so glad I got into sportbikes at 29 ?.. and still crashed 8 times ?..

·
Registered
742 Posts
Echoing what others said, I did alot of stupid stuff as a teenager in underpowered clunkers. Aside from that I presume this will be your only car. You need something that is reliable and gets more than 12 MPG on premium. I presume you may have to drive to work or school...important stuff. M5s/M6s will leave you stranded at the most inopportune times, eat oil, gas, and batteries. Yes there are some people that daily drive their M5. These people probably also have access to a second car too. When it needs to be fixed, you will pay alot, and it almost will always take at least 1 day at the shop. If you think you are able to find one that has all the major issues fixed with documentation, you will be spending well over 20k if not closer to 25k+. The ones that you see for under 10k will be needing another 10k in parts and labor over the next 3 years. If you DIY, that thing will be on jack stands and you will be waiting for parts. Don't by an M5 as your first or only car, you will regret it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most of these replies pointing towards a "no" because he is 16. OP, who cares if you're 16. There's plenty of 16 years with faster cars than these. I said it earlier, but it's a no from me for the financial reasons. It's just a waste of money. That being said, if you're parents are helping or the money really isn't an issue. Go for it.

I would've killed for a car like this at 16. Yes, be responsible with the car. It's a lot of power. However, I can't stand adults treating teenagers like kids. Yes, I'm taking a shot at all of you who think you are better than OP because you're "wise and responsible" now. You have no idea what type of person OP is. There's plenty of adults who wreck their cars for reasons way dumber than driving a little reckless. I drive a little reckless now, but I know for sure I'm more dialed in than some idiot on his phone. Unbelievably elitist responses IMO.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Most of these replies pointing towards a "no" because he is 16. OP, who cares if you're 16. There's plenty of 16 years with faster cars than these. I said it earlier, but it's a no from me for the financial reasons. It's just a waste of money. That being said, if you're parents are helping or the money really isn't an issue. Go for it.

I would've killed for a car like this at 16. Yes, be responsible with the car. It's a lot of power. However, I can't stand adults treating teenagers like kids. Yes, I'm taking a shot at all of you who think you are better than OP because you're "wise and responsible" now. You have no idea what type of person OP is. There's plenty of adults who wreck their cars for reasons way dumber than driving a little reckless. I drive a little reckless now, but I know for sure I'm more dialed in than some idiot on his phone. Unbelievably elitist responses IMO.
Let ask this Q,,if you are the father of this OP,,are you going to let him buy this car with this kind of power at this age ( under age)? answer?

Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let ask this Q,,if you are the father of this OP,,are you going to let him buy this car with this kind of power at this age ( under age)? answer?

Thank you.
Well obviously that's what I'm saying. If it was my child, you bet. You don't know the OP, you have no idea how responsible or irresponsible he is. Just because you may have been an irresponsible teenager, it doesn't mean he is. What a ridiculous blanket statement. The very fact that he is here seeking advice provides us evidence leaning one way and not the other.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well obviously that's what I'm saying. If it was my child, you bet. You don't know the OP, you have no idea how responsible or irresponsible he is. Just because you may have been an irresponsible teenager, it doesn't mean he is. What a ridiculous blanket statement. The very fact that he is here seeking advice provides us evidence leaning one way and not the other.
So why is insurance more expensive when you are 16 compared to 40? Are insurance companies making "blanket statements" or do you think they have statistics on how people drive at a certain age

·
Registered
169 Posts

Many, myself included, advised him to be sure he is responsible enough and give examples of why we personally were not at 16. That's hardly being elitist or treating him like a child. I have seen maybe two comments here that could be described as that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Many, myself included, advised him to be sure he is responsible enough and give examples of why we personally were not at 16. That's hardly being elitist or treating him like a child. I have seen maybe two comments here that could be described as that.
That's fair. I definitely got focused in on those are they pissed me off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ummmm, it’d be a “No” for me as well. Not bashing you but when it comes to cost of maintenance and mods (which I’m sure you will be doing as well), you would need some money to run it. Not saying you need to be a millionaire but it’s certainly not for the meek. Just my 2 cents.

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ummmm, it’d be a “No” for me as well. Not bashing you but when it comes to cost of maintenance and mods (which I’m sure you will be doing as well), you would need some money to run it. Not saying you need to be a millionaire but it’s certainly not for the meek. Just my 2 cents.

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey
I think 16 is the age to have a fun car, but also a car that is lite on maintenance and wouldn't be a huge hit if you 'lost' it somehow. After all you're still a kid at that age and you focus should be on school and having fun.... not on car maintenance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's fair. I definitely got focused in on those are they pissed me off.
Yeah I totally get that. Not fair to judge driving ability/maturity on age alone for sure. I agree if he has the ability to buy it and is responsible with it there's no reason being 16 should bar him from having one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Plenty of fun cars without the required maintenance. S2000, 350z, e36 m3, s55, z4. Most you can resell for the same cost after one year.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts