BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the State of California is going to pay me for my broken wheel!

Some may recall that around a 6 weeks ago I was driving at night in Livermore CA on the interstate and hit the 'mother of all potholes'. Broke the front stock rim.

Flat bed to a hotel after midnight, had to find a new rim the next day (thanks EMPEROR and motatti), a rental car, another tow call to change wheels... frigging hassle.

Anyway, I filled out a complaint form on the web saying fix the dang pothole.... got an email from the webmaster suggesting that I file a claim, and a link to the form. I drove by a week later and snapped a few pictures. It appeared they had alredy repaired the center, deepest part of the hole, but the remaining defect was still a few inches.

I submitted the form, six 8x10 glossies, (you know how the woody guthrie song goes) diagrams (yeah, I'm a geek) and three weeks later I just received a letter saying "We'll send you $681 for the damage."

Shocking

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
you should hurry up and play powerball...looks like your luck right now is running high. I have known very few people to EVER get a dollar from a state for pot hole/road damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
I am actually really impressed with Cali for doing that. My bud tore up an expensive rim out here in AZ in a construction zone (had to go on it, no other route to our destination), and AZ stated "assumed liability for driving in a construction zone" or some such BS. Good job, and lucky you for getting a cent out of the state.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
I need to file one of them too as the same thing happened to me. ard, please link me to the site for the form.

emperor
:M5launch: :typing:


ard said:
the State of California is going to pay me for my broken wheel!

Some may recall that around a 6 weeks ago I was driving at night in Livermore CA on the interstate and hit the 'mother of all potholes'. Broke the front stock rim.

Flat bed to a hotel after midnight, had to find a new rim the next day (thanks EMPEROR and motatti), a rental car, another tow call to change wheels... frigging hassle.

Anyway, I filled out a complaint form on the web saying fix the dang pothole.... got an email from the webmaster suggesting that I file a claim, and a link to the form. I drove by a week later and snapped a few pictures. It appeared they had alredy repaired the center, deepest part of the hole, but the remaining defect was still a few inches.

I submitted the form, six 8x10 glossies, (you know how the woody guthrie song goes) diagrams (yeah, I'm a geek) and three weeks later I just received a letter saying "We'll send you $681 for the damage."

Shocking

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EMPEROR said:
I need to file one of them too as the same thing happened to me. ard, please link me to the site for the form.

emperor
:M5launch: :typing:
Here is the link- I think it varies by district... not sure what district boundaries are, but prolly on the site somewhere.

http://ruralits.org/dist4/claim.htm


A few things help, I think:

I was pretty polite to the e-respondent in reply- maybe he passed along a comment?
I did notify them of the defect immediately, and it was huge, and they repaired it right away.
A pretty detailed explanation of the claim, plus pictures helped.

A

PS Sending in a personal note from Arnold thanking me for my financial support might have helped.... not
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
I ruined 2 Hamann wheels at a Stinsion Beach Caltrans site.Thanks!It was over 1 year ago.:grrrrr:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Ard

I not surprised. Pennsylvania has had a "secret" budget for clean up on cars that were damaged when they where painting lines on the road. That stuff is real nasty to remove. If you use their form and submit an estimate they would pay in full. Now I think there is a maximum amount because so many people caught on.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Glad to hear you got paid, I would have never thought they would do such a thing, but I guess you never know unless you try and you succeeded, Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Amazing that you could get Caltrans to pay a claim! Thanks for the tips regarding your approach to them.
P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
How ironic that your tax dollars actually provide direct, meaningful benefit. :M5thumbs:



ard said:
the State of California is going to pay me for my broken wheel!

Some may recall that around a 6 weeks ago I was driving at night in Livermore CA on the interstate and hit the 'mother of all potholes'. Broke the front stock rim.

Flat bed to a hotel after midnight, had to find a new rim the next day (thanks EMPEROR and motatti), a rental car, another tow call to change wheels... frigging hassle.

Anyway, I filled out a complaint form on the web saying fix the dang pothole.... got an email from the webmaster suggesting that I file a claim, and a link to the form. I drove by a week later and snapped a few pictures. It appeared they had alredy repaired the center, deepest part of the hole, but the remaining defect was still a few inches.

I submitted the form, six 8x10 glossies, (you know how the woody guthrie song goes) diagrams (yeah, I'm a geek) and three weeks later I just received a letter saying "We'll send you $681 for the damage."

Shocking

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bksf said:
How ironic that your tax dollars actually provide direct, meaningful benefit. :M5thumbs:

Yeah, well I am still awaiting the remaining benefits...

:)

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bksf said:
How ironic that your tax dollars actually provide direct, meaningful benefit. :M5thumbs:

Yeah, well I am still awaiting the remaining benefits...

:)

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I think it has to do with your Governator as other states would not have paid for damage in a European car. :hihi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
Motorsport said:
I think it has to do with your Governator as other states would not have paid for damage in a European car. :hihi:
Ya, I guess AAHH-NOLD likes M5's:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top