BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
yes, I seen this test here before. Unfortunaly it was only estimated times for M5.
But for real, does people really buy these car just to be fast at straightlines?

Some people seem to be obsessed with acceleration, I rarely see people discuss how the cars are to drive and which of them offers most driving apeal or feeling.

Every carmaker can build a car to be fast at straigtlines. A powerful engine and even a Skoda or Honda can be fast :byebye:

·
Registered
445 Posts
This article shows motor trends reputation :grrrr: What is the point of the article? Theres more to straightline speed but this we can get from a test drive, people want proper tests to be carried out, and if MT aren't going to do it who is?
Its pretty likely that the cars will be very close to 60mph (100km/h) and after that the m5 has the definate edge that has shown up in every test but proper tests have yet to be published.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Peter B said:
what is motor trends reputation? and what about is anyone getting their car for msrp?
The reputation is good - better than Autoweek anyways.

I'm getting my M6 at MSRP. Both dealers here in Cincinnati will guarantee MSRP for either M5 or M6. If your dealer won't do MSRP, find another dealer! For a car like this, you shouldn't have a problem driving an hour or so to pick it up.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Motor Trend's reputation is that of an inferior car magazine -- leagues behind Car & Driver, Road & Track and Automobile, as well as many of the well-regarded European magazines.

I am getting the M5 at MSRP, as are numerous people. Given the abundance of dealers willing to sell at MSRP, there are few reasons to pay more.

·
Registered
766 Posts
M S R P ! ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
msrp, great news! the dealers screwing customers is hopefully coming to an end thanks to educated internet buyers.

and doesnt motor trend car of the year carry some weight?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Peter B said:
msrp, great news! the dealers screwing customers is hopefully coming to an end thanks to educated internet buyers.

and doesnt motor trend car of the year carry some weight?
I would agree that MT doesn't rate as high as some others. My ranking of the US auto magazines in terms of quality:

1. Automobile
2. Road and Track
3. Car and Driver
4. Motor Trend
5. AutoWeek
6. All the others

Motor Trend claims they were the first to have any kind of award such as COTY, and they may be right. But if you look at the awardees, such as the Chrysler 300, the award doesn't carry much weight.

·
Registered
247 Posts
MSRP for me too... in writing... and in California.

I'm the exception though. Most CA dealer are planning on asking 15-25 over msrp for market adjustments... BLAH

·
Registered
247 Posts

I'm the exception though. Most CA dealer are planning on asking 15-25 over msrp for market adjustments... BLAH

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to be fair it was the chrylser 300 with the 6.3ltr 425 hp version and the contenders were

The 2005 Motor Trend Car of the Year competition included the following models: Acura RL, Audi A6, BMW 6 Series, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac STS, Chevrolet Corvette, Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Ford Five Hundred, Ford Mustang, Honda Accord Hybrid, Honda Odyssey, Kia Amanti, Kia Spectra, Lotus Elise, Mazda 3, Mercedes-Benz SLK, Mercury Montego, Pontiac G6, Porsche 911, Saab 9-2x, Scion tC, Subaru Legacy and Volvo S40/V50.

only cars which are significantly new for that model year. take a wildly successful car with 4 doors, 425hp for 35k and it sounds like a winner to me. like i said on another board if i made less (i know that sounds cheesy) and had 35k to spend on a car (family) this would be my hands down winner.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Zapper said:

hehe thats good "for now"
you should be seeing more people payin even more
and I am no exception :rolleyes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
MotorTrend is a good magazine..... Howerver, I care more about the fun to drive, comfort, handling, braking and steering more than just 0-60......

·
Registered
75 Posts
MRichmond said:
Motor Trend's reputation is that of an inferior car magazine -- leagues behind Car & Driver, Road & Track and Automobile, as well as many of the well-regarded European magazines.
Agreed. I read Motor Trend for comic relief; their ways of comparing vehicles and ranking them are highly amusing hiha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts