BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all those who responded to my earlier post about my soon-to-arrive M5.

I'm expecting the dealer to call me tomorrow and want to know my color choice and of course I can't decide.

I'm inclined to get the Alpine white, just because I imagine it to be (like all white cars) easy to keep clean-looking.

I know that I don't want the flat red, and probably not silver (my wife's 528i is silver).

Please post any thoughts you might have about the color of your M5 and why are are happy or not with your choice.

Thanks,
-jay

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Jet black. GORGEOUS! the bumper liner doesnt show, and yes, you have to wash it weekly, but take pride in doing so. the results are SPECTACULAR!

If you're inclined, the blue is simply amazing also.

--Dan

·
Registered
417 Posts
IMHO:

white: not sporty enough

blue: that's what i have on order...too flashy for some people though

red: looks nice, but I can't be the one to drive a red car

black: very mean. if I hadn't been driving a black on black car for the last 4 years, that would of been my choice.

green/royal red: see white

anthracite: too dull (not sharp enough...as opposed to boring) of a color.

silverstone: don't swing that way (just a joke)

carbon black: just know it's really a dark blue, not black as the name might imply...nice color nonetheless (one of my runner-up choices)

Ti silver: you said it not me...it's just so... *other 5 series*

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ramses

I'm curious ... you like black, and you've had black cars for a while now. Why exactly have you decided your next car won't be black?

Just curious. Like fork, I'm having a hard time choosing a color, and it's even more difficult since the M3 colors are not finalized. I hope they offer Lemans because I don't think too many people like Laguna Seca.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I used to think black was the best for the 5ers but after a discussion with a friend, he swayed me- silver shows the lines best. I like the black bumper- it breaks the car up a little- saw a new 5 series with painted bumper- looks too much like a toyota and theres no use in a painted bumper. here are my favorites and why:

titanium silver- you know why thats my fav

silverstone- an interesting silver color

carbon black- if this is the metallic one b/c you have to take care to clean a black car and metallic has a depth to it

jet black- will be a little "blacker" when clean

red- no way- nice for show cars but you will get tickets

blue- I dont know if they have Lemans blue this year but I didnt care for it- a little too crazy

finally white- now dont take this the wrong way, but IMHO white is a car for the ladies. You might disagree- good for you- thats just my opinion.

ME

·
Registered
49 Posts
IMHO:

I had a hard time with this for a while. It was either Silverstone, Titanium Silver or Avus Blue (which is no longer available).

No offense against the black colors, the reason I did not go with them is:
- the need to keep it clean ALL the time.
- darker colors do not show the lines very well.
- it looks smaller.
- I've seen enough black BMWs.

Avus Blue:
- Beatiful color but too flashy for me.
- Again, hard to keep clean (along with the other issues with darker colors above)

Titanium Silver:
- One of the best silver you'll see on any car, but you'll see the same on any BMW. Also at night, it almost looks white.
- I would have gone with this, except I wanted it to stand out just a little more than a 540.

The Verdict: Silverstone.
This was a tough one, cause I had to shrug off the "is that baby blue?" questions.
I admit, it took time to get used to. After a short time, I grew into this color.

This is a fantastic color. It looks differnet depending on the angle of the light. And at dusk or dawn, it's difficult to figure out what color it is. It's got great lines, stays clean and is one of a kind.

The only reason that I suggest you DON'T get the Silverstone, is that there is one less copy of my car on the road.

BTW- I also got the Black/Exclusive interior.

If your not secure with your masculinity, like most Texans, just remember - chicks dig this color (just a joke RaMsEs - no need to flame)

-Sam

·
Registered
417 Posts
Mr.Grinch,

I could ***** about the heat, the fact that it stays clean looking 3 days max, or that every little scratch it accumulated over the last 4 years is MUCH more visible than our white '91 500SEL "beater" with 98K miles.

In the end, most of the same complaints are probably valid for the LeMans. So I must say I'm just looking for something different.

·
Registered
722 Posts
"Why the wood trim in a silver car?"

Silver's "neutral" like unpainted metal, the black interior that comes with the silver M5's, my greying hair, and the charcoal pants I'm wearing. You can wear anything with Silver. You should see the tie I selected for today!

Richard

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Titanium is my choice. We also have a 528i sport wagon in Titanium with a grey interior which we find monochromatic. We wanted a silver M5 because of the Florida sun being so hot. But we didn't want the usual interior of silvestone and brushed aluminum so we opted for the black and imola red interior with the club wood and boy have we gotten great comments. This combo gives the car a split personality with the exterior bright and the interior dark but not all black.

Every person who looks at it goes back for a second look and comments on how beautiful it and sporty it is. Even the finance lady at the dealership came out of her cubicle to see the car twice when she saw the color combo. Put the alcantara option in, which may be standard on the 2001.

This combo is both unusual and breathtaking. You will not regret this choice.

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Silverstone and titanium are my personal preferences - I bought the Silverstone but it was pretty much a tossup.

White is okay as well, though I think it looks better on the wagons. The Avus and Le Mans Blue are too dark. Anthracite is okay. Red...well, you have to really want it.

I've owned three black cars, and will never own another. A black car is clean for the first ten minutes after it's washed. A black car that spends any significant amount of time parked in the sun will age faster. When you open the door after the car's been parked in hundred-degree sun for a couple hours, you can almost hear the interior trim begging for mercy. In the case of the E39, too, I just happen to think the shape looks better in light colors.

BMW seems to go for 'cold' colors on the M5, vs some of the 'warmer' colors (bronze, etc.) available on other 5s.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I chose LeMans blue.

I chose it because it was different than the generic silver BMW and the black that everyone who didn't choose silver chose.

I also wanted something that I could order with the two-tone interior. I didn't want the silver and I'm not much for red.

After receiving the car, I know I made the right choice. If you don't believe me, the valet at Mortons said, "This is the nicest-looking car I've ever parked... and I've parked a lot more expensive cars than this."

As for your choice, whatever you choose will look good. I don't think they really offer any bad color choices. I even saw a delivery with the red interior I wanted to avoid, and it actually looked damned nice.

Good Luck!
- TheTooth

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have Avus Blue. Discontinued, I know, but here was my thought process.

You can get ANY BMW in silver. They do make a nice silver, but it's just too common.

Black is too hard to keep clean, and gets hot. Not that the Avus is a whole hell of a lot easier to keep clean, but it is better. I've owned black cars before, and didn't want another.

White is too bland.

Red says "Arrest me! I'm speeding!!"

Silverstone is too much like silver. It is unique, but not enough to sway me.

Green. Dunno. Just not my thing.

Carbon black is VERY nice, and was my second choice (possibly could have been my first choice if I had seen it first).

But Avus blue is really nice. I think it shows off the car's lines nicely. It's different than all the others. Now that it's discontinued, it's truly unique, and adds to its desirability (opinion, I'm sure. Time will tell). Looks great with the all leather, all black exclusive w/ bruyere club wood interior. I get many compliments on my car's appearance. Check it out if you'd like at www.geocities.com/steve_lorax

-Steve

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I saw all the colors (except the Avus or LeMans Blue) at Spartanburg and I was still attracted to Silverstone the most, even though the car looks good in any color, even white (which I was surprised to see). Of course, it is totally based on personal preference. Second choice was Titanium Silver, but there were already too many silver 5 series running around on the road. We didn't think about any of the dark colors because of the hot climate in Florida, and it's hard to keep looking clean if you don't have too much time (not that our Silverstone stays dirty at all.. but still).
I have some pics of silver and silverstone if you want to check it out, including the interiors. http://photos.yahoo.com/moopz1

·
Registered
109 Posts
The best selling colors on the M5 here are the Black and Silver, followed by the others such as the White/Grey/Dark Blue etc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't know which yellow was on the E36 M3...but it was a faded and ugly yellow. The E46 M3 pics I'v seen are using a much more lusterous yellow.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The E36 M3 had Dakar Yellow, which is also available on the M roadster and coupe. When I was at Spartanburg for the M5 program, I even saw a dakar yellow X5!!! It was a custom order for the vehicle, and I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It had just gotten out of the paint shop and was still a shell. I have heard rumors of someone in the US owning a custom painted Dakar Yellow M5. I have seen actual pics of a 540 delivered to the US in this same color as well.
The new M3 will feature the Phoenix Yellow that has been travelling across the world in the auto shows. It definitely has a little more of a lustrous quality to it, but the dakar yellow M roadster that we took to the Biltmore looked pretty darn nice too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts