BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped out to the shop this morning, parked up and heard a hissing sound from the front right hand side (My car is right hand drive). I assumed it was a tire puncture.

Drove to tire shop, still making noise (only heard when engine off) - by the time the guy came to me, the noise had stopped.

All driving thus far was gentle. Checked tire pressures - all good.

Drove round large block (driving hard)

Went back to tire shop, hissing noise back - lasted about 4 minutes - called a mechanic who could not locate it. Air-con and ABS vacuum were mentioned as possibilities as it was not the tire.

Have booked car in under warranty for next tuesday - ANY IDEAS?

Has something gone wrong?

Drove home, gentle, parked in garage - no hiss this time.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Snakes?

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to say.

Something under pressure, or something fluid leaking and steaming? I imagine you checked the obvious: Coolant Leaks, Oil Leaks, Brake fluid leaks?

Are the shocks under pressure? Measure the height of left and right wheel wells. See if the car is sagging on one side.

You might take some of the aerodynamic panels off the front bottom of the engine and see if there are signs of leakage under there.

Ok, maybe I did have something to say other than "snakes": Angry snakes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No fluid losses and ride height all even. The sound just cutt off once the pressure of what ever it was dropped.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Huumm...

That is where the electric smog pump is located..... possible?? Maybe a crack in the molded hose from the gulp valve to the pump.???..... fitting came loose....???

Not much else over in that area.

Let us know what you find.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shadowman said:
Huumm...

That is where the electric smog pump is located..... possible?? Maybe a crack in the molded hose from the gulp valve to the pump.???..... fitting came loose....???

Not much else over in that area.

Let us know what you find.

Take care

Shadowman
Thanks for this. Sounds possible - now then, I've had a look and I need help seeing the smog pump / moulded hose. How do I see / gain access to check?

·
Registered
784 Posts
All you have to do is remove the passenger side (US) lower front panel. Then is is right there. The molded hose goes from the pump to the motor on the right side.

let me know what you find.

Curious

Shadowman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts