BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some spirited driving on my way to Saluda, SC this weekend with a buddy of mine. The route had a bunch of horse shoe curves, a couple of dips and long curves. It was uphill so that made it even better. It was a lot of fun!

For me this was the first canyon run on the M5 since I had bought it this past summer and boy was I pleasantly surprised with the capability of this car. I had installed BCracing coilovers during the summer but had not really tested the setup until now. The car handled so well, no under steer but a tiny but if oversteer past the apex on the horse shoe curves. Truth is the car felt like it could take a lot more but for that I would need to be in a proper race track I guess .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds nice. Thanks for sharing.
Are your coilovers quite firm? the ride sounds a bit crashy, but it could be the road quality and/or the camera mount.
Also, I am not expert on driving technique, but the little experience I do have is that shuffle steering is a really bad idea (see http://racetrackdriving.com/driving-technique/no-shuffle-steering/ for an explanation). You could get away with no moving your hands along the wheel for the majority of the corners in the video.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds nice. Thanks for sharing.
Are your coilovers quite firm? the ride sounds a bit crashy, but it could be the road quality and/or the camera mount.
Also, I am not expert on driving technique, but the little experience I do have is that shuffle steering is a really bad idea (see http://racetrackdriving.com/driving-technique/no-shuffle-steering/ for an explanation). You could get away with no moving your hands along the wheel for the majority of the corners in the video.
Thanks for sharing that I haven’t had any education on driving techniques yet but am planning to at some point since I am looking forward on taking drives likes this more often in the future.

As for the coilovers I have the fronts in a medium to hard setting (15 clicks) and the rears are a bit softer at 7 clicks. The ride is very comfortable, not bouncy but firm. The crashy sounds heard might be due to Having the microphone mounted inside the trunk to catch the exhaust note better. Something was loose inside the trunk probably.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure about your area but the PCA CCC are a great way to start. You can progress into track days or autocross. Look at motorsportreg for events in your area. The best clubs are Porsche, BMW and Audi the type of car doesn't matter. Autocross requires a lot less of the car and you can get away will normal brakes and tires.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thanks for sharing that I haven’t had any education on driving techniques yet but am planning to at some point since I am looking forward on taking drives likes this more often in the future.
Your hands will follow your eyes. I’m literally looking out the passenger window.

·
Registered
119 Posts

As for the coilovers I have the fronts in a medium to hard setting (15 clicks) and the rears are a bit softer at 7 clicks. The ride is very comfortable, not bouncy but firm. The crashy sounds heard might be due to Having the microphone mounted inside the trunk to catch the exhaust note better. Something was loose inside the trunk probably.

My pleasure - thanks for not being defensive and taking the feedback... a refreshing attitude!
Re the cashing sound - that makes sense. Would be interesting to see how they go on the track! Pity you lose the EDC though - I absolutely adore the ability to adjust the ride on the fly to suit the road conditions, which here in Australia vary greatly.

Your hands will follow your eyes. I’m literally looking out the passenger window.

View attachment 932688
What a wonderful shot! This technique I think is underrated, and, along with the risk of target fixation, not emphasized enough in performance driving schools.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
What a wonderful shot! This technique I think is underrated, and, along with the risk of target fixation, not emphasized enough in performance driving schools.
The hardest part is wedging yourself still with only a 3 point and street seat.

Same corner, from the inside of the turn. You can see my head is looking for the next apex.

With my visor up, you can really see my eyes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Same corner, from the inside of the turn. You can see my head is looking for the next apex.
View attachment 932714

With my visor up, you can really see my eyes.

View attachment 932715
Those pics are sick! We meed more threads like this in this forum.

Can you share a bit on your suspension setup? Is it stock EDC? Coilovers?

·
Registered
119 Posts
One hack I was taught before my first track day (not in the M5, with a JZA80 Supra back in the early 2000s) was to roll your seat back all the way, tug the seatbelt to jam the inertia lock on, then while it is locked use the electric seat adjuster to roll the seat forward. Have you tried this method? I find it works really well.

I feel sorry for the OP, as I think we are begining to hijack his thread... But hey back on topic, thanks CucoM5 for posting that video - What's your exhaust setup?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
One hack I was taught before my first track day (not in the M5, with a JZA80 Supra back in the early 2000s) was to roll your seat back all the way, tug the seatbelt to jam the inertia lock on, then while it is locked use the electric seat adjuster to roll the seat forward. Have you tried this method? I find it works really well.

I feel sorry for the OP, as I think we are begining to hijack his thread... But hey back on topic, thanks CucoM5 for posting that video - What's your exhaust setup?
Yup, I do the same hack — still not as good as my 6 point in my other cars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

No worries, I am enjoying learning about y’alls tricks. I currently have gutted cats, resonator removed and replaced by a x pipe and stock mufflers in the back.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I installed a cheap four point to hold me in place. When I first started tracking my E38 I figured out pretty fast that the cheapest improvements are the driver. When you don't have to hold on too the wheel you are much more relaxed and fluid, both belts are in the car at all times. Some times I will drive with a single hand on the wheel.

Looking ahead is one of the most important and difficult skills to master. I struggle with looking ahead all the time. The biggest obstacle is just trusting yourself to make the turn. If you are looking down you just can't respond fast enough. You have to be like a Jedi and look into the future. If you do a CCC the slalom teaches this skill. If your eyes are up you drive through the gaps in the cones, if you eyes are down you drive at the cones.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Used the factory bolt holes. I think one one side I reused the factory bolt and the other side I had to get a longer bolt. Just stack up the brackets, the shoulder straps run through the headrest. I just remembered I had to leave off the trim for the seat controls. You have to unbolt the seat to get the inside attached. It really makes a difference when you are not flying around the car. If you go to a five or six point most clubs require a HANS device and whatever the driver has the passenger has. That's another $600, no one has said a word about my home boy 4 point.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looking ahead is one of the most important and difficult skills to master. I struggle with looking ahead all the time. The biggest obstacle is just trusting yourself to make the turn. If you are looking down you just can't respond fast enough. You have to be like a Jedi and look into the future. If you do a CCC the slalom teaches this skill. If your eyes are up you drive through the gaps in the cones, if you eyes are down you drive at the cones.
Looking ahead is what I do when I track my bike.. I must be a Jedi then.. :p :p :p

Rear.PNG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts