BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my clutch about a month ago and the shop had to reprogram the transmission control unit. In doing so, I lost my euro SMG program so I had them reload it. While there, I also had my brake fluid flushed. After I got the car back, I lost the hill assist feature which keeps your car stable for a couple seconds when you take your foot off the brake on an inclined surface.

The owner of the shop checked the software and couldn't see anything wrong. He was going to try reloading the euro smg tune again but just curious if any of you guys have experienced this problem.

Could the brake fluid flush somehow have something to do with it? I wouldn't think so but just wondering if maybe some sensor got loose in the process or something. There are no error codes either.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have a feeling that the clutch adaptation wasn't performed correctly, or maybe not at all. The first thing I'd do if I were you would be to have the full clutch adaptation done....then you can get to the Euro SMG tune. Brake fluid wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I know that there are instructions on the board here somewhere about doing the full adaptation through INPA. I'm sure JColley could help you with this too.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling that the clutch adaptation wasn't performed correctly, or maybe not at all. The first thing I'd do if I were you would be to have the full clutch adaptation done....then you can get to the Euro SMG tune. Brake fluid wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I know that there are instructions on the board here somewhere about doing the full adaptation through INPA. I'm sure JColley could help you with this too.
Thanks for the feedback. He told me he ran the full adaptation.

Also, to clarify, when I first got the car back after the clutch was done, the hill assist feature was working. It was working for a couple weeks until I brought it back to the shop to get the euro smg flash redone. He had an extra TCU that had the euro smg tune on it so he just swapped it in my car and that's when that feature stopped working.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. He told me he ran the full adaptation.

Also, to clarify, when I first got the car back after the clutch was done, the hill assist feature was working. It was working for a couple weeks until I brought it back to the shop to get the euro smg flash redone. He had an extra TCU that had the euro smg tune on it so he just swapped it in my car and that's when that feature stopped working.
There's your answer. Get your original TCU back in the car and you'll probably be golden. You can then flash the Euro tune to it and be all happy again.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's your answer. Get your original TCU back in the car and you'll probably be golden. You can then flash the Euro tune to it and be all happy again.
Yeah we're gonna do that next. Wonder what was wrong with this other TCU. :dunno:

·
Registered
224 Posts
my guess is nothing was wrong, but the hill assist feature was coded out, or maybe they have to be paired.

as far as I can tell from inpa data logging hill assist is done by DSC, it holds the brakes for .8 seconds after you release brakes to give you time to transition to the throttle when the car detects an it's on a slope facing backwards.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did get a brief flash of the red cog about a week or so after the clutch was done. He scanned the code and said it was something to do with DSC so he ran the adaptation again. Not sure if this was before or after he swapped the TCUs but it was during the same visit.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Hill assist requires the longitudinal sensor from the SMG module to detect the gradient, then the brakes are held. Perhaps the long. sensor needs to be adapted as it isn't zeroed properly.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hill assist requires the longitudinal sensor from the SMG module to detect the gradient, then the brakes are held. Perhaps the long. sensor needs to be adapted as it isn't zeroed properly.
Thanks Jim.

Is this something the normal adaptation process/cycle would have/should have done or is it an additional step that can be done?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Thanks Jim.

Is this something the normal adaptation process/cycle would have/should have done or is it an additional step that can be done?
Depends on how they got to it. In ISTA, there is a section for 'SMG module replacement" which works you through the steps. If that was actually followed, the long. sensor is in there. If not, it's likely that only the clutch valve, shift valves, and slip point were adapted.

Easy test, takes about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on how they got to it. In ISTA, there is a section for 'SMG module replacement" which works you through the steps. If that was actually followed, the long. sensor is in there. If not, it's likely that only the clutch valve, shift valves, and slip point were adapted.

Easy test, takes about 30 seconds.
So do you think this issue is related to the adaption and not the euro smg tune?

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It definitely has nothing to do with the Euro SMG tune.
Ugh. He said he talked to someone and they said there could be different Euro SMG tunes with different modes for hill assist. :confused: I was going to have my old TCU put back tomorrow but had emailed him Jim's comments to see if he could look into that specific adaptation for the longitudinal sensor.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If I recall, there are 3 euro software revisions. I doubt I any modified hill assist though. That was claimed as a feature in the initial launch of the car, so one would think all versions would have it.

Readapt the long sensor and see what happens. Or as mentioned above, get you own SMG module back and flash it. :S

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If I recall, there are 3 euro software revisions. I doubt I any modified hill assist though. That was claimed as a feature in the initial launch of the car, so one would think all versions would have it.

Readapt the long sensor and see what happens. Or as mentioned above, get you own SMG module back and flash it. :S

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah it doesn't make sense to me why anyone would remove that feature. Will definitely have him try the long senser readapt first.

BTW, would you know what the differences are between those 3 euro software revisions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts