BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I follow all threads on this site, especially those that relate to power increases or perceived power increases (3.91 diff). It appears that there is concensus that one or two very affordable mods should be considered:

1. BMC filters instead of K&N or OEM. Filters appear to cost $182.

2. The device recently discussed that has MB e55 owners confirming its benefits in modifying the 'drive-by-wire' to make it more responsive. This is the device manufactured in Greece. Seems to cost $270 (P.S. no one has yet tried it on the e60 M5)

3. The 3.91 diff that seems to improve (seat of the pants) acceleration and torque. (This probably does not fall into the category of "highly affordable.")

Any others?

Rick

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LI-M5, Were you able to improve on the BMC filter price? I forgot about the pulley, but I have concern over whether slowing down the water pump is the right thing to do in hot climates. When I had an e39 M5, everyone on the messageboard seemed to believe the car felt more powerful when the temps were cooler. This may have been only air temps.

Removing charcoal filters certainly should be included in the list.

Rick

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
LI-M5, Were you able to improve on the BMC filter price? I forgot about the pulley, but I have concern over whether slowing down the water pump is the right thing to do in hot climates. When I had an e39 M5, everyone on the messageboard seemed to believe the car felt more powerful when the temps were cooler. This may have been only air temps.

Removing charcoal filters certainly should be included in the list.

Rick
Rick...I live in Corpus Christi and we are pushing 100's. I run the car pretty hard with no problems at all. The oil temp needle has increased about one needle width (at the bottom) maximum. Pull the trigger and get it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
How good are the BMC air filters? Believe it or not, this is the first time I have heard of them. The price sure is steep. How are performance gains (from someone that has had them in their car)?

E

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Rick...I live in Corpus Christi and we are pushing 100's. I run the car pretty hard with no problems at all. The oil temp needle has increased about one needle width (at the bottom) maximum. Pull the trigger and get it!
+1 needle moved a bit but everythinhg else is fine !!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
How good are the BMC air filters? Believe it or not, this is the first time I have heard of them. The price sure is steep. How are performance gains (from someone that has had them in their car)?

E
to be honest i had'nt either , but last week i saw this thread when i was home sick and since im a sucker for mod's i ordered them still dont have em yet but soon..

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97720

member c.stradale just got his on fri keep an eye out for his report..

and of course as soon as i get mine i'll report aswell..

as for the price i believe they were $182 plus like $50 s+h from uk $230 i dont think its that unreasonable..

neil..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine haven't arrived yet

to be honest i had'nt either , but last week i saw this thread when i was home sick and since im a sucker for mod's i ordered them still dont have em yet but soon..

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97720

member c.stradale just got his on fri keep an eye out for his report..

and of course as soon as i get mine i'll report aswell..

as for the price i believe they were $182 plus like $50 s+h from uk $230 i dont think its that unreasonable..

neil..
Mine were slightly delayed getting through export customs. Their scheduled delivery date is now 6/20. Will report when I get them in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It is an expensive car, so modifications should be proportionally expensive. Anything that is inexpensive that would add noticable power, BMW would have done it already.

Nevertheless, pulleys+charcoal filters+ecu are probably the least expensive choices. You could always strip your interior for $0 and go faster.. :haha:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts