BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
M6 6MT Yas Marina GT3 Touring Chalk
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone from 26,000 miles to approximately 36,000 miles in the few months I've owned my M6 and loved every second of it. The Dinan mufflers the previous owner installed sound great, but I know the S85 can do much better. Money no object, what exhaust setup provides the highest pitch tone? I have considered dozens of brands such as eisenmann, meisterschaft, ipe, akrapovic, supersprint, evolve, fluid motorunion, and others for headers or a catback option. Also have considered going titanium. I don't mind the smell of both cats deleted or extreme volume, as long as the highway drone isn't overbearing. I'm not interested in performance or long tube headers. I know the sound of the engine is subjective for many people, I'm just looking for the famous f1 whine the M5/M6 are famous for. Not planning on stroking the motor or anything, but I'm fine with mixing and matching parts. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Bypass the mufflers with a bypass valves. Many on youtube deleted the mufflers for good sounds of the beast.

·
Registered
M6 6MT Yas Marina GT3 Touring Chalk
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bypass the mufflers with a bypass valves. Many on youtube deleted the mufflers for good sounds of the beast.
What's the consensus on doing something like a cutoff valve? I haven't really seen anyone apply that to the S85 outside of Driftwork's E46 M3 swap (link below). Definitely one of the builds that convinced me I needed a V10 in my life. There seems to be space between the primary cats and secondary where one could fit in. I believe this is where Phil installed his. Incredible difference between the nearly stock sound with the valves closed, and the 130 dB it can reach open. I think cutoffs are generally disregarded because they are associated with mustangs buying the kit off eBay. I think it is a great alternative to chopping up the stock exhaust. Not exactly thinking of doing one, just a thought.

Driftwork's V10 E46 M3

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have seen that E46 S85 it sounds great. Bypass cutout was a thought but not sure about the technicality of installation on the M6, I am sure I have seen it on the E60 M5 forum threads with companies that make them.
I think they were installed before the mufflers not upfront.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey ym,

From my exploring it seems like there's so many combinations that sound excellent with these V10s in relation to exhaust modifications. The V10 always sounds legendary. I'm only running gutted cats on my OEM exhaust and it still even sounds good when I get on it. If money isn't an issue I would say Eisenmann and Meisterschaft are the best options for what you're going for. My friend is running a Section 1+2 and the Meisterschaft exhaust on his E63 M6 and it sounds like a weapon, I absolutely love it. Here is an awesome video:

I am waiting on some exhaust tips coming from Lithuania to do my muffler delete and then I want to get some clips of that and my friends meisterschaft, hopefully that happens soon. If the muffler delete doesn't cut it for me I'll be headed over to their HQ for yet another GTHaus, I have never been disappointed! Good luck in your search!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got DPW low profile exhaust cutouts.

it uses oem bmw motors and has a BT mobile app to control them open/close

1 - 8 of 8 Posts