BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally asked this question on the e39 section like an idiot so I'll just copy and paste it over here as I have an s85

'So, we all know about rod bearing failures but I'm intrigued to find out what kinda high mileages people are getting from their cars on the original bearings?? (For the record I'm getting mine done this week)'

T

·
0 Posts
You will get #'s all across the board.

Highest is 262,300-miles (1 in a million). Lowest is 42,000-miles. The average of the 117 s85 we have sold replacements for is 66,400-miles

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
92k and Blackstone says the beast is good on 5,000 mile oil changes. My rule is to ALWAYS stay ahead of the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
If you really want to know the highest mileage then wait till they fail and then you will have your answer but I doubt any member on here is going to wait till that happens hiha

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you really want to know the highest mileage then wait till they fail and then you will have your answer but I doubt any member on here is going to wait till that happens hiha
Don't be so sure about that. I'm not going to proactively blow my money when I have a warranty that covers my car until 93k. Currently at 45k. I'm sure there is an overwhelming majority of M5 owners that are in the same boat as me.

As I've mentioned before, the number of engine failures due to spun bearings is likely very low based on the number of cars produced. And the best way to ensure long life of your bearings is to do all of the proper maintenance, change the oil every 6-8k miles with the proper weight TWS 10W60 or Lubromolly alternative, and let the car fully warm up to operating temp before flogging it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
52K here, warranty until May 2017 so I'm chillin until then.

·
Registered
181 Posts
95k, raped all day long and still going ?

Reactions: ModestHT

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
119,988 mi here.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine is on 116K miles right now, with no issues at all, still pulls like a train, and was serviced every 10K miles.
Funny! I have the same mileage on my E60 and no issues.

I Dyno it about 2mons back during a dyno day in the summer and pulled 458RWHP in 97*F heat!

I do my own maintenance stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts