BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Mileage on my un-rebuilt E39 M5

• Over 200,000 miles

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Over 250,000 miles

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Over 300,000 miles

Votes: 1 11.1%

Highest mileage engines, not yet rebuilt?

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Kevin The Clean 1 
#1 ·
I'm sure at least a few people on this board at near or in excess of 300k miles in their M5s. Correct?

Steve
00 M5
05 X3
08 X3
10 S1000RR

#2 ·
Approaching quarter of a million shortly. Took the engine apart at 198,000 miles and made it faster and lighter.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm nearing 200k miles (187k at the moment). Engine still seems as strong as it ever was, pulls well to the redline and is smooth and quiet. It's still on the original clutch too! If it keeps going reliably for another four years or so, I should see 300,000.

#9 ·
I'm nearing 200k miles (187k at the moment). Engine still seems as strong as it ever was, pulls well to the redline and is smooth and quiet. It's still on the original clutch too! If it keeps going reliably for another four years or so, I should see 300,000.
Wow!!!

just coming up to 280k miles. no rebuild - today will be replacing coil packs as one has started to cause a misfire.. other than that is perfect.
This is the highest I've seen - very encouraging!

#14 · (Edited)
For those of you with crazy high mileage, what is your driving style? Lots of city or highway? A mix? Do you rev past 3k in every gear?? A spirited run to 6k every once in a while? Thanks in advance for your feedback 'cause I hope to be in your shoes some day with a high mileage engine with little work done to it - I hope to keep the M5 for a looooonnggg time :)

#15 · (Edited)
I am very glad to hear about numerous owners that have seen such high mileage and had little problems. The abundance of threads on this board have a tendency to revolve around the issues people run into and their negative experiences. Thus the overall attitude tends to lean towards preventative maintenance and all the "common" problems the M5 has. We must remember that it is those with issues that tend to raise flags, overshadowing all of those quietly enjoying their perfectly reliable running beast, such as those speaking up in this thread.

The lumps of money I have spent to do preventative maintenance are quickly becoming an inefficient use of funds in my mind. Especially when there are examples of beasts out there with twice or three times the mileage and few maintenance issues. This truly is a reliable car.

Before any arguments arise; I do believe there is a lot of maintenance to be done to retain the "like new" driving characteristics and performance of the beast, and it comes at a cost as many of us have found out. I just want to shed more light on the fact that the beast can still provide endless enjoyment for hundreds of thousands of miles without insane amounts of maintenance. I feel that a lot of people get caught up with all the problems posted on the board, rod bearings, CPS, MAFs, suspension, fan clutch, etc that they are misled into thinking these are required to replace.

As always, it is a cost-benefit relationship that is individual to each owner, but this thread should be testament to the many beasts out there that have made it to immense mileage without the need for overzealous preventative maintenance. Just because some 2% of beast owners have had the same problem and they all got on the board to post about their horrific experience, in no way means your beast is next. Just remember both viewpoints and use good judgment.

Cheers to the high mileage beasts! May all our beast make it that far and beyond! :cheers:

#16 ·
Hi D-RodM5 - My driving has been a mix of city and highway miles over the years, but mostly highway miles. My M5 is a daily driver in all weather conditions! Over the years I have found that early maintenance is the key. I typically don't drive my M5 hard, usually 3-4K RPM shifts with an occassional 5.5-6K RPM shifts. I routinely don't use the "Sport Mode". My only issue for three past few years has been the constant SES light being illuminated (Secondary Air Pump). I replaced the air pump in 2007 but found it subsequently clogged gain in 2008. This does not affect performance! Have a good weekend.

Tom

#17 ·
Hi D-RodM5 - My driving has been a mix of city and highway miles over the years, but mostly highway miles. My M5 is a daily driver in all weather conditions! Over the years I have found that early maintenance is the key. I typically don't drive my M5 hard, usually 3-4K RPM shifts with an occassional 5.5-6K RPM shifts. I routinely don't use the "Sport Mode". My only issue for three past few years has been the constant SES light being illuminated (Secondary Air Pump). I replaced the air pump in 2007 but found it subsequently clogged gain in 2008. This does not affect performance! Have a good weekend.

Tom
Tom thanks for your reply. I figure most of the real high mileage guys are not running their vehicles extra hard. I basically drive the car like you (daily driver, city + hwy, 3-4k shifts and handful of 5.5k+ shifts) but I use my Sport mode often :wroom: ...enjoy your SuperBowl weekend!

#18 ·
russap - thanks for your input..lol..it makes me feel a bit better about my lack of serious knowledge on engine maintenance. The only real maintenance I know is oil change and spark plug change on the engine. I guess experience comes with time and in time I hope to learn how to do a thermostat, fan clutch, etc.

#19 ·
Damn i thought i was considered high mileage, im at 130K miles. I dont even drive the car hard anymore, i probably go WOT once a week if that lol.

#22 ·
The clutch does seem to be holding up remarkably well. It has surprised me, but will do doubt need replacing at some point.

In answer to the driving style question, I drive quickly where conditions allow, but with mechanical sympathy. I drive slowly and within the speed limits in built up residential areas, but progressively elsewhere, making sure that I can safely stop in the distance that I can see to be clear and that I can reasonably expect to remain clear. I drive on motorways, open fast A-roads, twisty B-roads, rough cart tracks, occasional fields, race tracks, you name it and the 'beast' has been there.

I let the car warm up properly before giving it the beans and I rev-match when changing gear. My car sees 6000-6500rpm many, many times per day, but I have only hit the rev limiter a handful of times since I bought the car. Routine servicing has been done at the recommended intervals (controversial, I know) and when anything has needed replacing it has been done immediately, but not before. I believe that the M5 was designed to regularly cover huge distances at considerable pace (sometimes sideways :wroom:), and that pretty much describes my use of the car. It regularly does 500-1000 miles in a day with ease - the worst thing is petrol prices in the UK at 134p a litre!!

#23 · (Edited)
I agree with russ - I tend to accept that my car is now nearly 12 years old and won't necessarily drive like new any more. It's still pretty tight and more than capable of handling all I can throw at it, anyway. That said, I do spend money on anything that may seriously affect performance or safety, so brakes and suspension all get regular stuff done to them to stay tip-top, and obviously routine maintenance still gets done at least as often as recommended.

I drive fairly enthusiastically. Around town it's low rev shifts and Mr Discreet, but on the open road I like to take advantage of the performance available so I use the revs, leave it in sport mode all the time and to hell with the fuel economy :)

Cheers,

YG

PS I could have just copied dave gt's post above instead. He's nailed it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.