BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
...too many factors, the outside temp (tire grip / heat soak or not / engine power) the condition of the road (some are slippery -others not) the tires and their condition (newer softer - more grip) etc etc etc...

I have a couple favorite spots where she really gets loose in 1st and 2nd, but on a hot day, warm tires, good road... -she won't be wasting time spinning, it's a launch :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
:eek7: are you sure about that? and i'm not sure what without using the clutch means. i know my car will barely break loose going from 1st to 2nd unless i'm REALLY trying.
These are my thought exactly. I can get it sideways in second with some clutch help and get it drifting once it breaks loose but no way will it break loose by stepping on the gas in third. Unless your in sand. LOL

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My beast is 99' with 180000km I have had to spend quite a bit of money getting her to where she is now, but everything that has needed work or replacing has not been a part of the engine!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
00' with 111k and used every day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too have a high mileage daily driver. Now at 129K. I have replaced the clutch, brakes, driveshaft, radiator, entire cooling system, cats with OEM parts. Run Dinan S package with exhaust etc and Stage 1 Suspension with JRZ shocks. No burn oil, runs strong, still tight like new. I have a rare 92 sterling gray sport interior--so I will drive it past 200K and then decide where I go next. Thinking of having Dinan replace with a stock motor. Thoughts?

I agree just a great car.

Marin M5.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Good to see plenty of beasts over 100k... To add mine it is a 2001 with 123,000 miles and I put on another 30,000 ish per year.:wroom:

·
Registered
67 Posts
06-2000 M5...approaching 125.000 miles....no problems at all !
Regular oil changes (5000 miles or so) and warm up the car gently before hitting the gas...
The way the car drives and feels I guess another 125.000 miles should be possible...:goldcup:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have 98k on mine and I have replaced the belts, CPS, o2 sensor, the thing that made my AC stay on 24/7, the rear sway arm braket and my guage cluster is messed up. I guess thats all pretty normal things.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Right around 120k and no real issues at this point other than the heated seats are dead. Otherwise car looks fine and drives really well. I don't see any reason to get rid of it any time soon actually, I want to try and hit 200k and I'll evaluate how its running then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First time user, first time poster: I am pushing 308,000 miles on my 2002 -original drivetrain. I am shooting for 500,000km mark next (310,686 miles) and then 333,333 at 3:33 with 333.3 trip miles. A bit crazy but you have to find ways to entertain yourself when you drive as much as I do.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
First time user, first time poster: I am pushing 308,000 miles on my 2002 -original drivetrain. I am shooting for 500,000km mark next (310,686 miles) and then 333,333 at 3:33 with 333.3 trip miles. A bit crazy but you have to find ways to entertain yourself when you drive as much as I do.
Welcome to the board! How long have you had the car? What color exterior/interior?

You have me beat with miles by almost exactly 10,000. I should finally eclipse 300,000 miles in the next month. Also original drivetrain. These cars just go!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My friends fathers 2001 just hit 269k. Runs perfectly, he has owned since new and maintains it properly, which is why a car lasts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the board! How long have you had the car? What color exterior/interior?

You have me beat with miles by almost exactly 10,000. I should finally eclipse 300,000 miles in the next month. Also original drivetrain. These cars just go!
Congratulations keep going and enjoy every mile - can you share the same:
Titan Silver with Black Ostridge leather. Second owner, I have known the car since new. I used to own a detail shop and it was a regular. I purchased with 185K in 2009 with no clutch and a check engine light pulling codes for Vanos issues it came with a beautiful Borla muffler upgrade. I had the clutch replaced professionally and soon after a water pump at 200k, Indi told me BMW recommends complete vanos replacement - costs $10k, history showed light has been on since 65k just live with it. After paying for the clutch and water pump and ignoring the Vanos light I started doing all service myself. Eventually I changed from Mobil one to Liqui Moly 10w60 and MoS2 - the Vanos self corrected at 225 the engine never sounded better. I did another water pump myself at 275 a fuel pump at 300 (this was the third), upgraded chain tensioner, lots of oil changes, plugs and coils, Shark injector for SAI problem and lots of gas. She delivers 20mpg almost all of the time. Other incidentals include driveshaft bushing and isolator, Bilstein/Dinan upgrade, e60 shifter, brakes and rubber. Still running the original timing chain and guides. You can't beat this car. I have a set of four 17" studded snows for winter and will drive it anywhere anytime. I would not have an issue taking it for a 3000 mile road trip tomorrow. One day my wife told me I should replace it with a new car - so I started looking at e39 M5s with fewer miles - she said NO a NEW CAR, I told her the only new car I would want is a newer Beast when this one can't go any farther. As a side note I also have a 2001 740il almost show car and a 2010 Mini Cooper S 6sp convertible, 66 Mustang 289/4sp and three SUVs. My car prior to the M5 was a 1985 535i that was also a weekend track car. The setup I had on that e28 was possibly more amazing than the e39 in some ways. Also past BMW daily drivers: e30 325ix5sp, e36 328i cab, 1975 R60/6. I must say with harsh NJ winters and 20 years of service, the cabin and leather is almost like new but the body is starting to creek, could be bushings??. I love the sound of the S62 with Borla exhaust so much I have not bothered to repair the radio the second time since it pooped out 75,000 miles ago - no radio. Lastly I have removed the rear spoiler and M5 emblem, she is commonly filthy outside and has surface rust on the quarters. I am not a dirt merchant, in the past I have had concourse Porsches, Mercedes and many others, but e39-M5 driving every-day has brought me to a new Zen-level of automotive enlightenment where great feelings come from within and looks no longer matter - even though I still park at the end of the lot.

Curious - who has the most miles on original timing chain and guides and what do they do to retain condition?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts