BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got the most miles around here? Anything seem to wear out that makes you want a lower milage car? I'm looking at getting an M5 soon and am torn between cheap ones with ~100k and others that pricier cars that hover around 40k.

My M3 is a rebuilt accident car that has 117,000 miles and doesn't creak, rattle, or burn a spot of oil....

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm at 115,000 miles and still enjoying it. I anticipate covering another 50,000 miles over the next two years before I swap the beast for an E60 Tourer.

I expect the beast to be reasonably trouble free for this period.

Max

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can't beat that with only 106,000. I have had rod bearing failure, my transmission is getting crunchier every day and my Vanos is getting louder and will need to be rebuilt soon. I still enjoy the car, but my wife recently pointed out that I have recently matched my purchase price in repairs and mods.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 1999 owned from new, now up to 219,000 miles - still going strong - pulls 140+ mafs figures, uses 1 litre of oil per 800 miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
fair play, that's monster milage!

·
Registered
213 Posts
120,000 miles for a 2001. Stills breaks tires loose in 3rd without using the clutch. It needs minor things atm. Replacing the cats I'm in the process of doing. Replaced rearview mirror. Car is in excellent shape and I drive it daily with no problem.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
My 1999 owned from new, now up to 219,000 miles - still going strong - pulls 140+ mafs figures, uses 1 litre of oil per 800 miles.
:eek: Question: has the oil consumption changed over the years, or has it stayed pretty much the same?

Dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've got 120k on my car and it is a daily driver, I drive it every day. It uses NO oil whatsoever, and runs better than ever before. I will have the car with 200k in a couple of years. Show me another car that can do what the E39 M5 does? You cannot. Its just an amazing car.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Impressive:applause::applause::applause:

·
Registered
135 Posts
219k miles is awesome!:cheers:

I hope I get 200k+ out of mine, but I figure it would take me about 15 years to get there since I average about 10k miles per year.

Your commute must really suck!hmmm

Kyle

·
Registered
428 Posts
03 with 99k and for sale

I had absolutely no problems in my short ownership, but the previous owners' regular maintenance helped quite a bit.
With these cars maintenance is key!

·
Registered
458 Posts
120,000 miles for a 2001. Stills breaks tires loose in 3rd without using the clutch. It needs minor things atm. Replacing the cats I'm in the process of doing. Replaced rearview mirror. Car is in excellent shape and I drive it daily with no problem.
:eek7: are you sure about that? and i'm not sure what without using the clutch means. i know my car will barely break loose going from 1st to 2nd unless i'm REALLY trying.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
:eek7: are you sure about that? and i'm not sure what without using the clutch means. i know my car will barely break loose going from 1st to 2nd unless i'm REALLY trying.
Breaking the tires loose has much to do with how grippy the tires are. Toyos are so grippy a 620 hp S3 can barely break them loose. On the other hand, throw on a pair of dry-rotted tires and you'll be all over the road.

Dave

·
Registered
458 Posts
Breaking the tires loose has much to do with how grippy the tires are. Toyos are so grippy a 620 hp S3 can barely break them loose. On the other hand, throw on a pair of dry-rotted tires and you'll be all over the road.

Dave
good point i suppose, though he must have some crappy tires to be breaking loose in third gear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
:eek: Question: has the oil consumption changed over the years, or has it stayed pretty much the same?

Dave
Thining back it has been the same since about 100K - had a small leak (can;t remember which seal but that was fixed) - always use TWS - anything else and it drinks it.

And as for the poster of the picture - how did you track me down - you will be pleased to know that the rust and dents polished out :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Himiler, you are the man. That's what I call a match made to last. Hell, some couples don't last that long!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts