BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed a higher pitched whistling type of noise coming from the engine compartment whenever I press the accelerator pedal. I can be either moving or at still. The noise is most noticeable starting at around 1200 rpm all the way up to 1800 rpm or so when the engine sound drowns it out. I made a video from inside the car in a parking garage. The car is otherwise running well and my mechanic recently checked for any vacuum hose leaks. I have read that the fan clutch can produce sounds that varies with the rpm but am not sure if this is indeed the problem. Can anyone help me point to or diagnose the source of the noise? Thank you for any suggestion or help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ure engine coolant and oil are at operating temperature do u get the same sound with a cold engine? Whats the wheater like when u get this Dry, wet, damp? Do u have ure AC on or off?

This could be ure fan clutch yes and its extremly easy to removed it so u can be sure if its the problem or not. U only need a 32mm open spanner, hammer and a flat screwdriver. Just put ure spanner facing op on the large nut and gently tap it with the hammer NOTE: this is not normal threaded but english/left thread so it releases clockwise. after thats released pry of the plastic pins holding the fan schroud and get everything off. Dont run ure engine to long without the fan just keep an eye on ure temperature gauge. But u will need less then 1 min to find out if this causes that noise or not.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My engine and coolant temps are normal. The noise is present at all times, at start up and when the engine is warm. It also does not matter whether the AC is on. Thanks for the tip on how to remove the fan clutch. I'll try to remove it temporarily when I get the chance and report back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts