BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I'd also check the fan clutch again. At that coolant temp, it should be running at full lock and be impossible to stop with a rolled up newspaper or similar. If you can stop it, fan clutch is toast..

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
Temps way high for those ambient temps.

If temps come down on the highway (40-50 mph), then the issue is airflow. That could be main fan (check the fan clutch) or debris between the rad and condenser.

If the temps do NOT come down, then I would suspect a blockage of some sort in the rad. The heat exchanger between the water and oil is designed to quickly heat the oil for emissions. Here is looks like the water is not dissipating the oil heat.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
205 Posts
My temp gauge has been a little over the 210° mark itself lately. But that I know is down to the replacement oil lever sensor. I changed it when I replaced the weepy lower pan gasket last month. Original was fine, but I replaced it as preventative...well the jokes on me. Went with OEM Hella. Need to get a warranty replacement from FCP but been busy a lot lately. I do plan on doing a total cooling system overhaul soon including the water pump and fan clutch/fan blades.

And I know it's the sensor because when I check the hidden menu, it reads this for oil temp. Coolant temp was 95c, through city traffic. Ignore the ambient temp. It's not 99, it's actually 90.
20200729_153240.jpg

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Is the car running here? Or at least in pos 2? Can't get a read on oil temp if it's turned off...

·
Registered
205 Posts
It says that wether the car is running or not. When the weather cools a bit down, I'm going to unplug the connector for it first and double check to make sure nothing in the plug is damaged, then check the wire harness itself. If nothing works, then I'll go through with replacing it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
We are currently going through a hot stretch (in Canada at least) of 31 deg. C (about 90 deg. F). I noticed my 2003 Dinan S3 M5 is running very hot during stop and go traffic. Both the pusher and radiator fans seem to be running normally and did a coolant flush last year. Anyone have any ideas for a fix? Is this just a common issue with supercharged M5s that you have to live with? View attachment 941748
That’s way too hot, I’d confirm temps in the hidden menu. Make sure you’re coolant level is right and you’re not leaking. I wouldn’t run the car with those temps. We have been in a heat wave here 95-100F And humid. my oil temp stays around 100C now With the AC on full blast dead in the middle of a hot nasty day while driving hard with the new fan clutch. Check your fan clutch when mine was bad it was screaming loud at idle. As far as the debris in the rad goes. If you have to take out the rad you might as well just replace it. I don’t think your sensors are bad because your oil and water temps are on par with each other. But these temps seem dangerously high I wouldn’t run the risk of continuing to run the engine like that. Just get your cooling system checked out. It’s one of the most important things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Radiator is original and I doubt it's ever been cleaned, I will have a look at that. Is there an easy way to do this or does the whole bumper and pusher fan have to come out?

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
Radiator is original and I doubt it's ever been cleaned, I will have a look at that. Is there an easy way to do this or does the whole bumper and pusher fan have to come out?
From memory, pretty easy.

Fan comes off (it is reverse threaded). Once that is off, disconnect hoses and radiator gets pulled straight up.If condenser is bolted to it, you would have to remove the bolts

If you search, I am sure someone has written up the procedure.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
233 Posts
unless you sucked in a garbage bag, debris is not your issue with those temps. you can clean most debris with a long reach air wand and removing the top rad supports to access the gap. to clean the behind the pusher fan ideally you need to remove it cause a lot stuff gets directly behind the motor and hard to blow out but the debris at the bottom of the pusher you can get most out with air.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
unless you sucked in a garbage bag, debris is not your issue with those temps. you can clean most debris with a long reach air wand and removing the top rad supports to access the gap. to clean the behind the pusher fan ideally you need to remove it cause a lot stuff gets directly behind the motor and hard to blow out but the debris at the bottom of the pusher you can get most out with air.
I disagree. On a really hot day, lots of slow driving (no airflow) and higher engine load (going up hill) I had similar problems where the coolant temp started spiking like his. (I'm not supercharged either). When I got home from that trip I removed the radiator and cleaned a TON of debris from only the previous 4? years since the radiator was replaced. Blew out the condenser insitu, and reinstalled everything. Never had a problem since, including several track days, and no parts of the cooling system were replaced.

Reactions: gsfent and CSBM5
41 - 50 of 50 Posts