BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
I see oil 105 and ktemp 95 these days in Qatar .
but our oustide temp is 41-43 c now,,and I am supercharged.
at night with 34 to 36 c ..I see ktemp 87 to 88 and oil temp 96.
that is with AC on.

is that normal ,,humit is almost 60%.
car have 102000 miles now

Thank you

·
Registered
228 Posts
thats pretty good for those ambient temps, when my fan clutch died it caused my temps to spike to 100/110, you can really feel the immense airflow that mechanical fan pull when engaged correctly

·
Registered
169 Posts
At this age, our fan cluthes are beginning to fail and this summer well see a peak in demand. BEHR units are sold out across many retailers including FCPeuro and AutohausAZ. I think i bought the last BEHR unit off ECS.
Many that convert to electric fans see higher oil temps because a healthy fan clutch is always partly engaged and cooling the water to air heat exchanger (radiator) and in turn cooling oil.

So probably failing fan clutch...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
At this age, our fan cluthes are beginning to fail and this summer well see a peak in demand. BEHR units are sold out across many retailers including FCPeuro and AutohausAZ. I think i bought the last BEHR unit off ECS.
Many that convert to electric fans see higher oil temps because a healthy fan clutch is always partly engaged and cooling the water to air heat exchanger (radiator) and in turn cooling oil.

So probably failing fan clutch...
+1 I may replace mine, Indy had mentioned that as well. Will update soon

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I’m pretty sure that is normal for those ambient temps 47C is brutal. It’s still in its operating range according to the owners manual. There’s no set or exact temp the cars run at, However there is a range. Too many different conditions. Ambient, speed, driver load, shade/sun, idle, moving, color, AC ect. How are your temps in the evening or early morning when it’s cooler?
3658A692-51FC-412D-8D2D-F66C1A5A0BB0.png

·
Registered
948 Posts
I’m pretty sure that is normal for those ambient temps 47C is brutal. It’s still in its operating range according to the owners manual. There’s no set or exact temp the cars run at, However there is a range. Too many different conditions. Ambient, speed, driver load, shade/sun, idle, moving, color, AC ect. How are your temps in the evening or early morning when it’s cooler?
Evenings oil is 95-97 ,,ktemp is 86-88
Outside temp at night 35 C,,of course ac on

Thanks

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Evenings oil is 95-97 ,,ktemp is 86-88
Outside temp at night 35 C,,of course ac on

Thanks
Sounds pretty normal. Just brutally hot. Just make sure no debris in or around the radiator and fan shroud is not leaking. At 60 kph, the air coming through is doing most of the cooling, not the fan.

If you are really concerned, you can either eliminate the internal "oil cooler" (which ABSORBS heat to allow oil temp to come up faster at start up) or add an external oil cooler. I would use a thermostat around 105C so you get the benefit of oil temp getting hot enough to burn off the impurities in the oil as a byproduct from internal combustion. BMW has a "gulf" oil filter housing with the extra port built in for an external oil cooler.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sounds pretty normal. Just brutally hot. Just make sure no debris in or around the radiator and fan shroud is not leaking. At 60 kph, the air coming through is doing most of the cooling, not the fan.

If you are really concerned, you can either eliminate the internal "oil cooler" (which ABSORBS heat to allow oil temp to come up faster at start up) or add an external oil cooler. I would use a thermostat around 105C so you get the benefit of oil temp getting hot enough to burn off the impurities in the oil as a byproduct from internal combustion. BMW has a "gulf" oil filter housing with the extra port built in for an external oil cooler.

Regards,
Jerry
Yes this theory works in a cooler days..not in our weather which is especially at nights with 5 kph wind and more than 65% humidity. Very hot air entering engine .

And in July we have more thank that almost 50C and humidity close to 85% ,,wind maybe 2-3 kph .
No my friend our weather is totally different,,we call it extreme weather .
You can not wait outside for 5 minutes max ..
It is so so hot ,,and today is 47C.
I think engine cooling in my engine did very
well especially it is supercharge.

Thanks.

Reactions: Itrucknyc

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes this theory works in a cooler days..not in our weather which is especially at nights with 5 kph wind and more than 65% humidity. Very hot air entering engine .

I think his point was that at under 60kph the fan is pulling a larger volume of air through the radiator than that caused by the car traveling through the air; over 60kph this reverses, air flow based on movement provides larger volume of air.

47 is hot no matter how fast the air is moving though, wow.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
116 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I noticed my 2009 M6 getting up there, but didn't pay too much attention. will have a closer look next time. its clean as a whistle, with 27K on it. running castrol super car 10-60 also.

Reactions: Itrucknyc
21 - 37 of 37 Posts