BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer here my oil temperature tips passed the 210F middle mark on the Oil Temp gauge. I pulled up a test #16 in the hidden menu and I can fluctuate 102C-105C During a very humid mid summer day. Ktemp is in the correct range and doesn’t rise to a concerning temperature. The fans up front are functioning properly, oil level is correct, and oil sensor is new. These higher oil temperatures only occur during the day, never at night or early mornings when it’s a bit cooler. I’m in NY we are approaching ambient temps in the 80s but the humidity here makes it feel like it’s 95F. Are these oil temps something to be concerned about? If so what are the steps to take? Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's a little high but need more info first. What is your max KTEMP in the hidden menu? Is the A/C on or off? Have you checked for debris in the radiator? Do you have a dark paint color? Has the car been modified?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
With summer here my oil temperature tips passed the 210F middle mark on the Oil Temp gauge. I pulled up a test #16 in the hidden menu and I can fluctuate 102C-105C During a very humid mid summer day. Ktemp is in the correct range and doesn’t rise to a concerning temperature. The fans up front are functioning properly, oil level is correct, and oil sensor is new. These higher oil temperatures only occur during the day, never at night or early mornings when it’s a bit cooler. I’m in NY we are approaching ambient temps in the 80s but the humidity here makes it feel like it’s 95F. Are these oil temps something to be concerned about? If so what are the steps to take? Thank you.
I noticed after my temp sensor was replaced the same thing happening. Never happened before with the original and it make me think it's the gauge

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a little high but need more info first. What is your max KTEMP in the hidden menu? Is the A/C on or off? Have you checked for debris in the radiator? Do you have a dark paint color? Has the car been modified?
Today’s Test Run With Pics

Ambient Temp: 82F HIGH UV Index Feels like 92F+
Car Color: Carbon Black
Modifications: Muffler/Resonator Delete, X Pipe
Radiator Debris: Unkown. I did not pull out the radiator

Stop and Go Spirited Driving. A/C on FULL Blast. Pics taken at Red Light

692DAA6E-2BF5-45FA-96D0-BCA752C50DDC.jpeg
8A67AC91-B185-4E8E-AF46-26E4939EBCAC.jpeg

A/C Off at Idle
649EB7CB-C2E4-4302-8B11-449DAA7A818D.jpeg
CFEF657D-F1D5-43ED-A036-1EBCFF4F5C96.jpeg

Side Notes: With A/C on full blast cruising I’m at about 90/91C KTEMP and around 104C OILTEMP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Assuming that there isn't a gauge or sensor issue then yeah it's running a little too hot. If you have the time to do so then consider clearing out the radiator vanes. I did so last summer and was surprised by how much crap was stuck in there after 19 years. It brought my coolant temp down a few degrees and had a small impact on oil temp too.

I hesitate to ask for fear of this becoming an oil thread, but what oil are you running? Also have you had an oil analysis done recently?

One last risky question - are your rod bearings original?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming that there isn't a gauge or sensor issue then yeah it's running a little too hot. If you have the time to do so then consider clearing out the radiator vanes. I did so last summer and was surprised by how much crap was stuck in there after 19 years. It brought my coolant temp down a few degrees and had a small impact on oil temp too.

I hesitate to ask for fear of this becoming an oil thread, but what oil are you running? Also have you had an oil analysis done recently?

One last risky question - are your rod bearings original?
Castrol Edge 10W60 (brown bottle)
Rod Bearings Original
No Oil Analysis

·
Registered
66 Posts
Recommend an oil analysis at your next regular interval, but sorry I'm not familiar with the potential gauge issue. Surely someone else can help you confirm whether or not that's the problem.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
I would say on the high side of normal. Better oil takes heat out of the engine and puts in the oil. So better oil will run slightly hotter. Check oil is topped up.

Oil temp at 100C or slightly higher is good, it helps burn off the impurities, The high temp/high humidity will tend to keep oil temps a little high.

Nonetheless, I would also check the rad for debris. Of course in stop and go driving there is very little airflow. If temps come down on cruising , look to something blocking the airflow or faulty fan, as the readings are accurate. Search on checking the fan, "newspaper" trick or similar. Could be bad fan or bad fan clutch.

Good synth oil is probably good to about 230 or 240F (110-115C) without too much worry especially if only for a short time.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car is going in Tuesday for service I’ll have the shop check it out. I’m scared to drive it like this

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve been doing a lot of reading here on the older threads regarding this category and it seems to vary from car to car. Some guys oil and temp gauges stay at 11 o’clock like mine does when it’s not brutally humid out. Other guys that track I’ve read oil temps 130-140+ with temp gauges close to red zone. I definitely don’t want to just start replacing cooling parts and components I’m hoping I can find an actually cause or find out if it’s ok to drive in this heat with my temp ranges

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
I’ve been doing a lot of reading here on the older threads regarding this category and it seems to vary from car to car. Some guys oil and temp gauges stay at 11 o’clock like mine does when it’s not brutally humid out. Other guys that track I’ve read oil temps 130-140+ with temp gauges close to red zone. I definitely don’t want to just start replacing cooling parts and components I’m hoping I can find an actually cause or find out if it’s ok to drive in this heat with my temp ranges
Gauge is less important than readouts from the OBD.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it dangerous to drive at 107C OIL and 95C WATER? I haven’t gotten any warnings on the instrument cluster

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is it dangerous to drive at 107C OIL and 95C WATER? I haven’t gotten any warnings on the instrument cluster
You wont get much of a warning and yea thats way on the high side for these engines. They’re suppose to run cooler than your typical V8 anyways. Clean that radiator, do a good coolant flush and fill.

I actually went with a hotter Tstat because my car wouldnt get up to proper operating temps and even took off the clutch fan. Seeing 85+ temps here in GA and it barely see’s the 210 mark only with ac on and me sitting too long.

Remember the old heater trick, if your car’s on the edge of getting hot turn the heat on full blast and make sure its not on recirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You wont get much of a warning and yea thats way on the high side for these engines. They’re suppose to run cooler than your typical V8 anyways. Clean that radiator, do a good coolant flush and fill.

I actually went with a hotter Tstat because my car wouldnt get up to proper operating temps and even took off the clutch fan. Seeing 85+ temps here in GA and it barely see’s the 210 mark only with ac on and me sitting too long.

Remember the old heater trick, if your car’s on the edge of getting hot turn the heat on full blast and make sure its not on recirc.

Normally my car runs around mid 80sC on a non humid day in the 70s. Anything over over 80F outside with high humidity it runs at the temps posted. I even checked the manual and it says Optimum operating oil temp range is between 80 -120C (page 64) I just did my T-stat 7 months ago for running too cool. Along with a coolant flush.

·
Registered
263 Posts
One thing you can do is to use a non-contact thermometer and point it at the oil pan right after a spirited drive. You will have to have the front belly pan removed, but this way you can get an independent measurement of the oil temperature in the oil pan.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Free troubleshooting would be to remove the radiator to clean out all the crap in between it and the condenser.

Heres a similar thread. Doing above solved his problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gauge is less important than readouts from the OBD.

Regards,
Jerry
Correct me if i’m wrong Jerry but doesn’t the OBD only show water temps?

Also, maybe someone can confirm but doesn’t the oil level sensor double as oil temp as well? Would changing that be a possible fix?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Also, maybe someone can confirm but doesn’t the oil level sensor double as oil temp as well? Would changing that be a possible fix?

Test #7 for KTEMP
Test #16 for OILTEMP
The Oil Sensor measures level and temp
my oil temp sensor is new also!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Definitely should pull the radiator and clean it really good before jumping down any rabbit holes. I've had the same experience as others - started noticing my temps running hotter than they should, particularly the oil temp as it's not really damped. Pulled the radiator and it was packed with stuff. Spent a solid hour cleaning it out, mostly with compressed air. Reassembled, didn't change anything else mind you, and the temps came back down to normal.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

See answer below original question. OBD 7 and 16 as noted.

Oil level sensor also measures temp. That is why if changed, important to use good brand, not knock off. Also why low oil can sometimes affect temperature.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 37 Posts