BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking at a 2006 m5 with 140k and a salvage title. I assume the car is only worth 6500-8000 as it is rebuilt. I want this car for weekend road rally’s and track days? Would this be a good car. I would love a low miles one but I know one with 50k miles on it will probably run you 20k or so and the motor could still blow at 60k Miles and no Warrenty? Any suggestions? I’m new to everything BMW but I always loved this car. I know they require a lot of maitnance and care. Thank you!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Please don’t get e60 m5 as your first bmw. Especially as a track/fun car. Will scar you forever.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Please don’t get e60 m5 as your first bmw. Especially as a track/fun car. Will scar you forever.
This....

Money pit especially if you are going to track it. Holy smokes!

I have mine and just joy ride praying to the car God's that they take care of me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
IF you take your car to a shop to get work done then I agree with the above.

HOWEVER, IF you're a DIY able to pull engines, trans, swap rod bearings, etc. then the e60 m5 is a CHEAP ticket to an awesome car. The M5 is my first bmw. It's my daily driver and has been to a track last year (plan to do this more often this year). My car came with a warranty so I used a shop to get new vanos solenoids, clutch/flywheel, steering rack, IAs, etc. As soon as that was done I canceled the warranty to get some $ back. That helped with all the work I did myself: rod bearings, TAs, injectors, etc. I knew exactly what I was getting into and have been very happy thus far.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hello,
I am looking at a 2006 m5 with 140k and a salvage title. I assume the car is only worth 6500-8000 as it is rebuilt. I want this car for weekend road rally’s and track days? Would this be a good car. I would love a low miles one but I know one with 50k miles on it will probably run you 20k or so and the motor could still blow at 60k Miles and no Warrenty? Any suggestions? I’m new to everything BMW but I always loved this car. I know they require a lot of maitnance and care. Thank you!
Where you looking at getting the car from? It might be my old beast that a girl ran into me last year and totaled it. A local guy bought the salvage title and has been trying to sell. Is it in Oregon?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not sure what you have in mind for the track, just track days, or time attack, or wheel to wheel racing?

The acquisition cost may be low, but the operating cost for running it at the track can be considerable (tires, brakes, suspension/chassis, engine and trans maintenance). Then there are hundreds of pounds of computers and modules networked together which makes it a little tricky if you remove the seats and sunroof and airbags and stereo system and satellite unit and climate controls and insulation and carpet... stripping it down to a reasonable weight, and it's still pretty heavy. Would be fun but again it's a big four door sedan you know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
14 Participants
Hasan Shaikh
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing