BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

My 114,000 mile 99 car went on for it's second ever service 2 last monday. I have the BMW extended warranty which, in the UK, covers cars past 100k miles.......but I always wondered if it really did...if you see what I mean....how much "negotiation" would be needed if something major was needed.....I know what should be covered...but just call me a sceptic.

I reported a non-functional handbrake and a rattly engine sound on hot-startup. I also knew the clutch needed replacing. I do about 25k ayear and intend to keep the car another 2-3 years, so was expecting to throw a bit of money at it at this service.

The service adviser rang up in the afternoon.....a few bits and pieces, clutch, front pads, replace brake fluid.........pretty much what I was expecting, then "and the work that will be covered under warranty...." included the rattly engine noise.....suprise suprise...vanos....."the car's pulling to the left, we suspect the steering box....there's a fault on the A/C...." and a few other bits.

So they kept it in for the last eight days, and have replaced, under warranty....
bank 1 and 2 ex. and inlet vanos gears
vanos adjustment unit
A/C pusher fan
o2 sensor
steering box
propshaft cv joint
intensive washer pump

The thing that suprised me was I didn't have to do any "negotiation", despite the mileage it was all done without question....very correctly and professionally.

Parts alone apparently came to £5.5k, so we're probably talking £7.5k of work....for a £600 warranty (I renewed it just before the price went up!)

And does it go any better?.....haha.....I think if you drive it a lot, every day, you don't realise that the engine is gradually going "off tune".....the growl is back, rather than the slightly rattly and whooshy sound that had developed...tremendous amount of power is back!

Some funny lines from the service adviser along the way....

"He's been working on it 8 1/2 hours a day for 5 days now - we're thinking of putting him on overtime"

"I'm standing near your car now sir, it's in 1000 bits, it looks like it's gone back to kit form"

Your car will be back with you soon sir, the technician's just writing up his notes - he's been at it for over an hour now..."

It's been said before..."Thank god for extended warranty"

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Guy. A number of members have reported having expensive repairs covered by the warranty. It is an ESSENTIAL item in my opinion, especially if you're looking to buy or sell an M5. These are complicated and expensive cars to maintain.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Cheers for the info Guy10.
Its good to know that the warranty is not mileage conscious. :M5thumbs:

I've had my car for almost a year now and had over 10k's worth of work done, including: Both Vanos Banks and addition of the Oil Accumilation Unit, New Differential, Rear Brake Discs, Sat Nav Module, ABS Wheel Sensor, Anti-Roll Bar Brackets, various Small Suspension Parts etc etc....

IMO if your car is still under warranty, then its essential to keep renewing, because as Ashok commented '' These are complicated and expensive cars to maintain ''

Thanks again for your post. :cheers:

p.s. Which Dealer are you using?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sounds like you have a very nice Dealership/SA you delt with.

So your Navigation was covered under the 100K Maint/Warranty..

I was told it wasn't.. is it different from the UK and US?

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Congrats... nice to hear your story has a happy ending!! :cheers:

Cheers,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread gentleman, but feel it might be a relevant question iam looking to purchase an M5 but my budget might not stretch to one with BMW warranty, is there any other companies in the UK that you feel are good to deal with?????? please help as i find this question a sticking point in my purchase

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
Sounds like you have a very nice Dealership/SA you delt with.

So your Navigation was covered under the 100K Maint/Warranty..

I was told it wasn't.. is it different from the UK and US?

UK and US warranties are different. In the UK, you can keep renewing the warranty, indefinately, i believe, as long as you never let it expire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts